Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Someone please answer!

Ok. I am 4 weeks post op as of two days ago. The day of my surgery I weighed 311. Today I weighed 295. That's 16 pounds in 32 days. Is that average? Also I have been 295 for 2 weeks now. I'm stuck. Will this pick up. One more ? before I go, sometimes I can only eat 4 ounces and I'm stuffed and other times I can eat way more...is this also normal?

--there is no average, there's only what's right for you. As long as you are following your plan faithfully, don't worry about how fast you are losing or how fast other people are losing. I think you are doing great.

--you have hit the "three week stall." Not everyone hits it, but close. Yes, your weight loss will pick up again as long as you are following a good program and not doing something like making your Protein Shakes with Peanut Butter and ice cream.

--what are you eating? How much you can eat will vary depending on what you are eating. I am concerned that you are eating "way more" than four ounces of anything, though. Are you supposed to be eating that much? That's a bit different from most typical post-op plans that I have seen. Drinking more than four ounces, yes, eating more, that seems weird, unless you are eating high-carb slider foods like oatmeal or mashed potatoes.

--there is no average, there's only what's right for you. As long as you are following your plan faithfully, don't worry about how fast you are losing or how fast other people are losing. I think you are doing great.

--you have hit the "three week stall." Not everyone hits it, but close. Yes, your weight loss will pick up again as long as you are following a good program and not doing something like making your Protein shakes with Peanut Butter and ice cream.

--what are you eating? How much you can eat will vary depending on what you are eating. I am concerned that you are eating "way more" than four ounces of anything, though. Are you supposed to be eating that much? That's a bit different from most typical post-op plans that I have seen. Drinking more than four ounces, yes, eating more, that seems weird, unless you are eating high-carb slider foods like oatmeal or mashed potatoes.

Totally agree... with regard to the amount you are eating, try not to eat more. at this stage according to my nutritionist I should be able to eat 4 ounces, so I measure my food. I don't wish to stretch my sleeve which is possible to do. Check with your nutritionist and see what their plan is for you and measure. Idk if we can really rely on "feeling full" anymore.

Good luck!

I'm eating things like tuna, eggs, grits, chicken, pulled pork, veggies, things like that. 4 ounces is a half a cup which is what my plan calls for. Depending on the food I can tolerate more. Like an egg, I can only eat one....if I eat grits I can eat almost a.cup

--you have hit the "three week stall." Not everyone hits it, but close. Yes, your weight loss will pick up again as long as you are following a good program and not doing something like making your Protein shakes with Peanut Butter and ice cream.

Totally agree... with regard to the amount you are eating, try not to eat more. at this stage according to my nutritionist I should be able to eat 4 ounces, so I measure my food. I don't wish to stretch my sleeve which is possible to do. Check with your nutritionist and see what their plan is for you and measure. Idk if we can really rely on "feeling full" anymore.

Good luck!

I have these 4 ounce containers that I use. I meal prep and they come in handy

If you plan is saying you should only be eating 4oz then why are you pushing that to 8? I would skip eating grits at this point. Grits do not provide a high quantity of Protein, each serving only contains 1.4g. Stick Protein rich foods. This is what your body needs right now.

Right around 3 weeks you will have a stall or slow down. It has to do with your body readjusting. There are a ton of threads on here about it so you can search and see. But it usually only last 1-2 weeks and then you should see the weight loss pick up again. You might also take measurements. During this time most people see those types of losses instead of the scale.

Don't worry...you are normal as normal can be in this process :)

~LA

I had surgery on 4/15. Here's my progress if this helps:

Week 1 10 pounds

Week 2 5 pounds

Week 3 2 poungs

Week 4 0 pounds

Week 5 4 pounds

Week 6 3 pounds

Re weight loss ...

You didn't reveal if you had a 2 week pre-op liquid diet, which is important to understand what your EBW (Extra Body Weight) goals should be, post-op.

Also, most programs will give you a chart of what the EBW loss by percentage should be at 1 month post-op, 3 month post-op, 6 month post-op, and 1 yr post-op. Did you get that? If so, how are you tracking against those goals?

Re eating ...

I am approx. at same point you are, 4-5 weeks post-op. Also have been given guidance to eat about 4 oz. For me, I have little restriction and don't get to point of spitting/throwing up if I keep eating. So, I could keep eating beyond the 4 oz. and not have any discomfort.

When discussing with NUT, I was told to eat for 30 mins (set a timer) and then stop. Small bites, chew well, no liquids, etc. as we all know.

Also have been told to keep calories between 500-700 and to keep carbs < 60 per day.

Connecting the dots ...

At this point in VSG journey, you are in the critical period of time (first year) where the chemical that makes you feel hungry is not present (grhelin). So, you can eat as little as you want, your body will not feel physical hunger. If you eat more than you need (60-80 grams of Protein per day, 500-700 cals) you are only reducing your weight loss opportunity.

So, eat what you need, not as much as you can hold ... to maximize your weight loss potential :)

Cheers!

-RC-

I had lost 15 at 4 weeks. I am now almost 9 weeks and at 30. I find the same thing, sometimes I feel I can eat a lot more than others. One morning I can eat a whole 5 Oz Yogurt with no problem, the next day I might not..

Don't go by other people, it will only make you feel worse. Everyone is different. If you're stuck talk to your nut. They can recommend things to increase or decrease. Use my fitness pal to log everything. It's a great tool

I don't know, I was exactly 3 months post op May 20th, I still have a hard time getting 4 oz of anything in other than Water. When I try, I end up pacing in front the bathroom waiting for the severe pain in my chest to subside or the vomit to come. I talked to my nutritionist and she just suggest I try other foods. She was suppose to send me a menu she was going to make up, but of course it never came. I have since made an appointment with the bariatric surgeon who did my sleeve. I hear about so many people eating chicken, and cooking actual meals. I feel like I'm stuck between a liquid and soft foods place. I have lost 57 lbs. since February 20th; but getting a handle on the food thing is becoming tiresome.

I'm eating things like tuna, eggs, grits, chicken, pulled pork, veggies, things like that. 4 ounces is a half a cup which is what my plan calls for. Depending on the food I can tolerate more. Like an egg, I can only eat one....if I eat grits I can eat almost a.cup

just throwing this out here..isn't grits corn? High carb? I don't eat them just asking..could play a neg factor..?

just throwing this out here..isn't grits corn? High carb? I don't eat them just asking..could play a neg factor..?

Also, I will throw in that 4 ounces = half cup is only true for liquid and mostly liquid things. There is no way that 4 ounces of chicken would fit in half a cup, or 4 ounces of broccoli. That's why, IMO, it's important to weigh non-liquid foods.

I had surgery Sept 30, 2014. Right after that I went into a stall and only lost a few pounds for SIX WEEKS! I was patient and kept sticking to program. Eventually called my nutritionist and she suggested I add 200 calories of healthy fats (I was almost fat free at that time ). That put me at about 1200 cals. Right away I started losing again.