Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Question for everyone

So i was talking to my PCP, yesterday and He asked me this question.

"what is the biggest thing you've learned about yourself since the surgery?"

It is a tough question.

Thinking about it, I would have to say, that I Don't need food to be happy.

How would you answer that question?

That I had an unhealthy relationship with food. It isn't a social event or just something to do when I am bored. That I would rather be healthy than fat. I am sure there are more lessons to come but that is a start!

I really like structure. It gives me this weird high when I have all my meals planned and fridge stocked with healthy food.< /p>

That I can do this new lifestyle.

That I do much better with my eating when I drink at least 2 Protein shakes a day. I can't get all my Protein in without them and still stay within my calorie range.

That even with the restriction of my sleeve, I still battle with head hunger and stress eating at work; fortunately, it's not every day or even every week, but it still crops up.

I know, that's more than one thing :P , but they're the things foremost in my mind right now.

That being too fat was the least of my problems.

And surprise! I could begin changing all my other flaws as well and live to tell about it.

That I want to live a longer life - more than I want that next big meal :)

-RC-

I've learned that I can now control food vs it controlling me.

I learned two things! I got my nose pierced a year and a half ago. And i realized i did it to hopefully have people pay attention to my face and not my body. Also this is why i would dye my hair crazy colors.

And i learned i have a hardcore sugar addiction. Im a baker so im always around it and i have zero will power but im trying. Its a constint battle everyday at work.

That I have so much more time now that I don't spend every waking our thinking about what I am going to eat next. Like @@SeahawksFan said, I like structure.

Three things.....

That I love food and always will.

That I can actually deal with life without drinking several cocktails every night.

That I look hot in Cruel Girl Size 5 slim fit jeans!

I've learned so much. I agree that I learned I don't need food to be happy. I also learned that I am beautiful inside and out. Even if I don't often feel it. The hard lessons came too. I learned what food addiction looks like when you are on the outside looking in. That was a hard one because it made me reflect on my whole family. But I never voice anything negative. My filter is strongly in place.

I've learned how to really love myself and everyone around me. And it's the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I don't avoid mirrors and I give out lots of free hugs.

Although I knew being obese was very stressful for me, I had no idea how very stressful it was.

I have so much more empathy for heavy people now than I ever did before, even when I was one of them.

As I've said before, I have NO idea how I could function at all when I weighed almost 90 pounds more than I do so.

But I'm afraid the answer to rhetorical question is: Not very well at all.

I feel the exact same way. I always had empathy for anyone who was obese as my mother and pretty much all in her family suffer from it. But now having been 135 pounds larger I see people suffering with it and my first thought is "OMG that poor thing" as a society I wish obesity was viewed as the true disease it is, and not as a weakness of character or that we are lazy , etc. food is an addiction you can not recover from but rather one you have to master and I feel my long term success is gonna involve a lifetime of respecting food and not making it my best friend again. Love to all of you in our wonderful community. The support I get here is top notch and helps to keep me focused and on the straight and narrow

That Portion Control is my biggest issue.

When I was going through the classes, the class leader kept talking about how to avoid donuts in the break room (I hate donuts), how to make better fast food choices (I don't eat fast food), cutting out soda (I don't drink soda), not getting chips from the vending machine (not really a fan of chips), etc. I was getting frustrated because all of those issues were not MY issues so I was starting to wonder how I had gotten myself into this situation. When I mentioned this to her, she said that maybe portion control was my issue. And once she mentioned it, it all made perfect sense. And maybe I knew deep down inside that how much I was eating was the problem but I think hearing it from someone else confirmed what my problem was.