Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

serious surgery decisions to consider

Hi,

I'm bringing this to the forum because I need advice. Ultimately this decision will be mine, but I am hoping to maybe get feedback from some that may have gone through something similiar.

I am almost done with my pre-op proecess with only one nutritionist appt left next week. My concerns come from some of the results during the gallbladder exam- they picked up two polyps - one that is 4mm and the other 6mm, It is recommended if it is at 10mm that it should be removed as it can lead to cancer, but this is not really the case right now.

My next issue is a small hiatal hernia which was picked up when they did the upper edoscopy.

After these findings, I requested an appt to meet with my surgeon because I have concerns about these issues and how it would affect the surgery. I did read through out the forum that the Hiatal Hernia can be fixxed during the procedure of the sleeve - and my surgeon confirmed that yes he can fixed this during surgery - so I was happy to hear that.

Now the big issue is do I also remove my gall bladder and have the 3 done during this one surgery- my surgeon said he can do it.

Weird thing is he did say they stopped doing the removal of the gall bladder and the sleeve - his assistant explained the sugery to be more laborous it as one is a dirty job the other one is clean so they typically like to do these seperate. Now my thought is if I do the Hiatal Hernia and the sleeve - I can maybe wait down the line to do the gall bladder, but of course this will require a seperate surgery - and I really don't want that . Why not just do all 3? My friend said that I should have these seperate - that I should put the want to feel beautiful for safety and remove the gall bladder first and do the sleeve in a few months. In my mind I want to feel healthier not just beautiful.

I'm torn with making this decision.

@@jadama22 keep researching and make your decision based on knowledge and what you feel is right for you.

If it were me, I would wait to do the gall bladder later. It is full of bile, and your new tummy could be compromised. But I am not a doctor. If it isn't safe to do it at the same time, he will likely not do it at the same time. At least ethically he shouldn't. (First do no harm)

I had my gallbladder removed at the same time as my sleeve because I had terrible pain from gallstones. My surgeon had no problem doing both together and did not mention the contamination issue. My procedure took about an hour for both. To me, it's better to just get everything done at the same time since you are already under anesthesia. Getting anesthesia is never fun so I would not want to do it the second time. All 3 procedures that you need are very simple.

I had my gallbladder removed at the same time as my sleeve because I had terrible pain from gallstones. My surgeon had no problem doing both together and did not mention the contamination issue. My procedure took about an hour for both. To me, it's better to just get everything done at the same time since you are already under anesthesia. Getting anesthesia is never fun so I would not want to do it the second time. All 3 procedures that you need are very simple.

I was thinking the same thing. Apparently stalling the gallbladder surgery for later does not sit well with me. I would hate to have surgery now and then have to go under again in a few months. From what I hear- having a significant amount of weight loss will trigger more gallbladder issues down the line, so I say out with it!

Anyone else?

If it were me, I would wait to do the gall bladder later. It is full of bile, and your new tummy could be compromised. But I am not a doctor. If it isn't safe to do it at the same time, he will likely not do it at the same time. At least ethically he shouldn't. (First do no harm)

Thanks - you have a very good point, but I really don't want to have to go through surgery again and my surgeon said that he would be concerned if I had multiple stones, but I don't - so he said it should go well. I guess for this one - I will be placing my full trust on the Surgeon if I took the route of doing all 3.

@@jadama22 I don't blame you, I wouldn't either. If they can do it all at once, that would be awesome. I know I wouldn't want to have to go through one recovery just to have to go through another one right afterward. Surgeons are so skilled these days, I'm sure you will do great.

unless I could find a truly compelling reason NOT to do it at the same time, then I would do it all together.

It may not be IDEAL to have your gall bladder & the sleeve done at the same time, but I don't think it is a foolish idea either as long as you trust your surgeon and he has experience doing this. It was not all that long ago that this was fairly common.

In my non-physician opinion, I would assume their is more risk from having 2 seperate procedures than there is from having 1 procedure to remove the GB and do the sleeve.

I would have done at same time too. My gall bladder removal was a lot like it sounds the sleeve procedure will be. Full of a whole lot of air. So if me, I would as they say, kill 2 birds with one stone. Lol

I have no gallstones prior to surgery so didn't need my gall bladder removed but happened to talk to my surgeon about it prior to my ultrsound. My surgeon will not do the GB removal at the time of the sleeve. He feels there is no way to remove the gall bladder and guarantee no bile leakage. He feels it presents a greater chance of contamination.

I did have the hernia surgery at the same time as the sleeve. My surgeon puts his patient's on Actigall during their rapid weight loss period to prevent gallstones.

I was thinking I will put off the removal of the gallbladder for later, I will just monitor it and see what happens

It does sound like one-stop shopping would be nice, but I would be concerned about the contamination issue. I had my gallbladder out in 1973, back when they still cut you half in two. Mine ruptured and stones and bile went everywhere. The doctor said he had to "go fish". I was in the hospital eleven days. Now, the surgery is done laparascopically, and in many places is outpatient surgery. I do remember that once I got home, though, my recovery was fairly easy and I was bored out of my mind within a week. Do your homework, and I am sure you will make the right decision for you.