Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I'm almost 3 weeks post op and I'm still having major regrets....has anyone felt this way? I'm having heart burn,I still cannot eat pureed food.< /p>

Most people do at your stage. The first month or so pretty much sucks. Each day, week, and month that go by you will start to feel more "normal" again and on top of it you will have lost weight, so the regret goes away ;) Are you on a PPI for your heartburn? I was on major PPI's and had to be on full liquids for 6 weeks after surgery becuase of severe GERD. 9 months later, I'm still on a PPI but don't get heartburn too often anymore. I have more of a regurgitation problem when I eat too much. I really hope they can help you with your heartburn.

And yes, I had major regrets being on liquids for 6 weeks and problems with GERD. I just wanted to EAT SOMETHING!!

Oh I remember all to well, like just 2 weeks ago LOL. I was thinking what the he!! did I do, what a HUGE mistake. But today is a whole different story. I am so glad I did it. And I am not even cleared past soft foods yet. Hopefully tomorrow when I go for 4.5 week post op visit. Don't know if you can PM on this board but don't hesitate to talk to me, I get it.

You are not alone- I thought I had ruined my life for the first 2-3 weeks after surgery. I had an unpleasant reaction to the anesthesia, so not only was I pukes-McGee for awhile, but I also had tingling in my arms and legs for almost a month afterward which really concerned me. I am now a year and 8 months out and I have a stomach that hates food. It likes to puke something up about once a day and while it universally hates butter, oil, anything fried, and almost everything sweet, periodically it also likes to barf vegetables, random meats, and food that it has never barfed before. When I eat sugar I get hot flashes, where my heart beats fast, my skin gets red, and I breathe fast. Every once in awhile I will eat something I shouldn't, like ceviche a few months ago, and spend a few hours on the floor barfing my brains out, but usually I eat, my stomach decides it is going to cooperate, and then I either go about my day or go barf, and then I feel fine. My sleeve is a total little B.

I don't know anyone else, outside of those with leak complications, who has as picky of a stomach as I do, and I can say with 100% certainly that I have no regrets about sleeve surgery. Even with a sleeve that is downright evil some days, on the worst day I would still choose to have surgery. I love my little sleeve monster, and I feel comfortable saying that I think once you are past these first few weeks you will also begin to love your new stomach.

Ahhh I did go thru a phase as well. I am so glad that someone else had warned me before surgery that you almost always have this feeling sometime in the first month of regret. For me it was my first day back to work and I was feeling amazing. I thought I could do everything and you know what...I didn't drink enough liquids and ended up in the ER at 3 am needing 3 IV bags. But it's been 7 months and I am at my goal weight and have no regrets now.

I hope your heartburn get's better.

~LA

It took me almost 8 weeks to get past regretting the surgery. Now 9 weeks out, I'm starting to feel like myself again. It will get better, hang in there.

Most people do at your stage. The first month or so pretty much sucks. Each day, week, and month that go by you will start to feel more "normal" again and on top of it you will have lost weight, so the regret goes away ;) Are you on a PPI for your heartburn? I was on major PPI's and had to be on full liquids for 6 weeks after surgery becuase of severe GERD. 9 months later, I'm still on a PPI but don't get heartburn too often anymore. I have more of a regurgitation problem when I eat too much. I really hope they can help you with your heartburn.

And yes, I had major regrets being on liquids for 6 weeks and problems with GERD. I just wanted to EAT SOMETHING!!

I'm taking nexium...started today actually the heartburn started yesterday..uggh I called my Dr. He says if it doesn't workout w/ the nexium he will get me something else

Regrets happened the moment I awoke from surgery in recovery. I couldn't swallow and became panicked until recovery staff gave me a little Water. The evening after surgery I wondered why I ever thought this was a good idea and then I was forced to get up and start walking - first out of the room and then eventually around the wing. Things improved rapidly thereafter and other than discomfort from the big incision I felt better each day. Now, starting my seventh week post op, I feel wonderful and am eating 4 oz of Protein three times a day. Surgery was the best decision I ever made!

I'm one week out today and regret seems to be a constant for me. I know in the long run its for the best but right now I just want to eat. Those of you who've been past the first six weeks, what tips do you have to get through those moments of regret? I find myself wanting to push my diet progression but I know that's not the right thing to do.

When I woke up from surgery, the first thing that came into my mind was "what the heck did I just do?" It gets better. Breathe, take care of YOU, and go along with the process. The first several weeks postop are hard because you are learning to do everything all over again. It will get better.

My stomach and I argue a lot. Its an ornery thing, growling all the time and making me nauseated daily. I did go thru a barfing phase but that could have been from some meds i was taking. But even with the nausea and vloopy stomach, I feel so much better, healthier, more confident, more energetic, more comfortable, and prettier than I have in a long time. Even as yucky as I feel sometimes, I haven't regretted the decision for a minute. Weighed in the balance, the benefits are greater for me. Good luck to you.

We all feel regret at some point. Follow your doctor's plan and everything will get better. Walk as much as possible, get your fluids in , avoid eating too quickly, and let your stomach tell you how it is doing. It will let you know ahead of the tilt mark when to stop eating. Weigh Proteins with a kitchen scale for every meal. When eating out look at the appetizer menu for your meal. Don't give yourself permission to snack. Follow the program and you will do great!

For me, there were no issues with liquids or food post-op. I had little restriction and could easily drink/swallow immediately post-op. Further, my program moved me to soft foods at 1 week post-op. At 5 weeks post-op, I am now easily to eat 4 oz (or more) each meal.

BUT ... I do have, every now and then, a feeling of regret about not being able to eat a large meal (say going to Outback and having Bloomin' Onion, bread, salad, Rib-eye, backed potato, 3-4 glasses of sweet tea).

BUT ... once I start eating, I immediately recognize that I could NEVER eat that much even if I tried, and then immediately feel so gratified with my choice.

-RC-

Edited by RaginCajun

I am 10 days out. I feel terrible. Having that feeling of " what the hell did I do". "Worst mistake of my life". I am only on Clear Liquids. When I drink I get this feeling , spasm intermittent pain to my stomach which goes away fast but takes my breathe away. Has anyone else had this? I feel like I will never be able to eat again. I have to stay on liquids until June 1. Then to puree. I am so scared. The pain is terrible. I have many friends who swear this is the best thing ever. They keep saying this is temporary. I hold my faith in that and keep going. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your support.

It is temporary I had worst first five weeks cried pain horrible couldn't eat now 3 months out pain free and down 54 lbs stay positive it will get better!!!!!