Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 18th: Looking for a compadre for this journey

Hello all. I have never been so excited for and terrified of a date on the calendar as I am of June 18th. I cannot explain the number of emotions that I go through each and everyday. The anticipation of a healthier and more productive future and the gut wrenching fear of undergoing a surgery that will change every aspect of my life. Let me introduce myself. I am a 42 yo female who had become very comfortable on her obese life weighing in at 360 lbs. I have a great job, a loving boyfriend and a supportive family. From the outside looking in you would think she has it together except for the fact that she is thick. Thick is what I considered myself. I fortunately never was a victim of weight prejudice or fat shame, at least not to my face or where I could detect it. I have always carried myself with grace and class. I held my head high and moved through my life seemingly effortlessly. As I got more comfortable in life , I got bigger. I started to notice I was having pains that I never experienced before. I was having mobility issues. I thought it must be that I'm getting older. My world came tumbling down when I literally went tumbling down. I fell. Not doing anything out of the normal, I took a step and gravity was not my friend. I got up and was in excruciating pain and cannot walk. I as taken to the ER. This is when the story gets good.

I find out that I need a complete hip replacement. The surgeon refuses to do the surgery until I lose 40-50lbs. Diagnosed me as morbid obese. Refers me to a bariatric surgeon. I see the bariatric surgeon, he's a really nice guy, I feel comfortable with him. Contact my insurance, they don't cover WLS. The insurance company covers it but my company excluded it no uncertain terms in our policies. I have to come up with $15k to cover surgery. I gather every financial resource I can come up with the fund needed for the surgery. So here I sit. I completed my psych and nutrition evaluations. I have appointments this week for EKG, chest X-ray, bloodwork and ultrasound of my gallbladder. I officially start my pre-op diet next week. I have been doing parts of the diet since I received it. I have lost 20lbs since I unofficially started the pre-op diet.

I am hoping that by joining this community I will be able to get and be support for us folks going through this journey. Hope to hear from you soon.post-254895-14327349236699_thumb.jpg

Hi! I am 42 years old as well. I will be 43 in October. Glad you are here and have made it as far as you have! Sorry about the hip issue. The older I get the more aware of the complications that can come from a simple fall. It's crazy! I have 4 boys and a wonderful husband. I am currently 232 and 5'1. I am SO READY FOR SURGERY! My date is June 3rd.

Surgery date is coming soon! The 18th will be here before you know it!

Edited by carebear42

Howdy! I'm 5"1 and currently 240 surgery is June 1st and I started my liquids only diet on Monday! It's really hard but at least I know it's not forever! Really struggling.

Howdy! I'm 5"1 and currently 240 surgery is June 1st and I started my liquids only diet on Monday! It's really hard but at least I know it's not forever! Really struggling.

Have you found a Protein Shake you like yet?

Hi happy to read your story. I'm a 47 year old "thick girl" also and have been proud of it. Never had a weight problem until I had my daughter in 2004. After that I found out I was hypo thyroid and the weight keep piling on. I kept eating feeling lonely, depressed that nothing I ever did I could lose. Then my meds were finally working for me & my hypothyroidism became "controlled"... I lost 65 pounds on my own but within 6mos to a year, new boyfriend who loves to take me out, cook, and have a good time I gained it all bac plus some... That was 3yrs ago & the scale keeps climbing... Same boyfriend though whose 6'4, 160 pounds lol... Anyway I'm now Type II diabetic, high cholesterol, sleep apnea (on C-pap) machine and high blood pressure because of my weight. I looked into weigh loss surgery a few years ago before I developed medical issues but it terrified me at the informational session. I ran for the hills. I tried my hardest to lose the weight. After yo-yo diet after yo-yo diet, I made another appointment with the bariatric team back in March and now my surgery is June 5th. Next Friday!!! I am so grateful & nerves all over the place. But can't wait to get this weight off and keep it off & off these meds. I'm doing preop diet until my surgery next week but I'm READY!!! Congrats and I'm so happy that you are here. Keep in touch & add me as a friend!

Thanks everyone for your responses and/or stories. I'm still learning this site so I don't know how to add friends yet but once I do, I will make it appoint to do so.

@@ReeseDarling Congrats...girl..and welcome...I'm new here as well. There is a TON of support in this community! I'm currently on the 15 day pre-op liquid diet...surgery on 6/2/15....well my sustainable..best of luck...and I'm happy to chat anytime!!!

I have tried a ton of different Protein drinks. So far I'm not crazy about any of them but as long as I stick to chocolate none of them are to bad either. For the price and taste I think I like Premier Protein. It's easy to find at Walmart, Sams club or even Krogers.

I have tried a ton of different Protein drinks. So far I'm not crazy about any of them but as long as I stick to chocolate none of them are to bad either. For the price and taste I think I like Premier Protein. It's easy to find at Walmart, Sams club or even Krogers.

I like the premier Protein shakes as well. I've tried all 3 flavored and they are pretty good. I ordered some samples from powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury but I haven't tried those yet.

June 11 is my date. Clear liquid started next week. Ugh

Hi everyone!

My surgery date is June 15th! So excited (yet incredibly nervous) to being this journey. All my pre-op stuff is done, and insurance submitted and approved. Now I'm just slogging through my pre-op diet and trying to keep busy to make these next 14 days fly by.

My surgery day is June 17th. I'm so excited. I start my pre-op diet on Wednesday, June 3rd. It will consist of high protein/low calorie drink for Breakfast and lunch then a Lean Cuisine type meal for supper. Any recommendations on the best kind and flavor of high Protein Drinks? ? Thank you and good luck to the rest of you.

I'm a 42 yoa female as well, with very supportive spouse and friends. I started my liquid diet today. I've made it through this first day with no problems. My Surgery is June 15th. I'm very excited and focused because I'm having my lapband removed to get RNY. I believe this is going to be a much better journey for me and I wish you all the best. I'm loving the Premier Protein vanilla. I did purchase an unflavored Protein as well for after surgery in case my taste buds change. Looking forward to some great results.