Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First visit w/ Nutritionist

She said that I was below the amount of weight loss they were expecting me to lose at 6 weeks post op. I've only lost 31 lbs and should have lost at least 45 - 48 lbs by now. I'm getting my Water in but I admit I'm falling short on Protein. I should be getting at least 60 grams a day but barely getting 20 grams if that in a day. I need to be increasing my exercises also. My goal is to get from 310 to 299. This goal will be set for 2 weeks. Then I'll set another goal, and so on.

You definitely need to work on your protein! Twenty grams isn't nearly enough to sustain you and you will have more problems than just slow loss if you stay that low. Insufficient Protein intake can lead to serious health issues.

What are you eating now and what is preventing you from getting enough Protein in?

Try adding two Protein Shakes a day one in morning and one in evening. Don't think reducing calories will increase weight loss it won't. Your metabolism bill slow and so would weight loss.

Have you tried premier Protein ready made shakes? They each have 30 grams of Protein and 1 gram of sugar. They do not taste anything like whey protein, they are actually very good. The best flavor is the chocolate, it is not sweet like some of the other options.

You can get them at SAMs or costco and I have even seen them in smaller packs at Walgreens.

You absolutely need to get your protein intake up.

You are way short on your Protein requirements. You need to be drinking Protein shakes. I know most taste terrible but you need to find one that you can tolerate. Experiment with the various types out there. In a month or so you can begin to use Protein Bars. Quest makes a variety of good Protein Bars.< /p>

There is a new unflavored Protein powder I was referred to that is pretty good and it can be mixed in as little as 3 oz of liquid. It's called Whey-licious. Or try another unflavored one and mix it in some of your food like applesauce or SF pudding. Not getting in Protein is detrimental to your health - hair loss, loss of muscle, etc.

I can't stand the taste of the Protein shakes. I'm trying new whey Protein drink, fruit punch. It has 42 grams of protein per tube. But its really sweet so I have to dilute it with Water. So I'm gonna do at least one of those a day.

Even without Protein Shakes, you should be well over 20 grams a day of protein. I try to get 20 grams from lunch and dinner each day, which would put me at 40 with nothing else! What are you eating now?

I would recommend ignoring the scale and concentrating on getting your Protein in. Some folks lose faster than others. That really doesn't matter. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle does.

There are a ton of Protein sources out there-- greek yogurt, fish, and chicken are all great sources. You are 6 weeks out now so should be on more regular food.

What types of food do you like? I know there are lots of people here who can give you suggestions.

For a Protein shake I make my own: 8 oz milk, 1 5 oz tub light and fit greek yogurt (any flavor) and a handful of fresh raspberries. Put it in the blender and you have a 20 gm protein drink which is tasty.

Good luck!

@@JamieLogical, I eat fish and chicken all day every day. But according to my nutritionist I don't even enough everyday to get my Protein from food.

Well chicken and fish are fantastic sources of Protein. So definitely keep that up! If you need to supplement a little more, then I suggest Protein shakes or bars that are low in carbs and sugar. My favorite ready-to-drink shakes are EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control, which are available at Target and Walmart. I prefer the Rich Dark chocolate flavor. As for Protein Bars (may be a little too much for you to eat right now), I like Quest Bars, which are available at GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, and some grocery stores (I buy mine online). My favorite flavor of those is the chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.

In addition to what everyone else has suggested if you like milk you can try Carnation Breakfast Essentials (No sugar Added) made with milk as a Protein supplement. You can also just add powdered milk to your milk.

Talk to you NUT. The further you are out the more food options you have.

As someone mentioned above don't worry about calories now and make sure you get enough Protein and fluids.

@@JamieLogical, I eat fish and chicken all day every day. But according to my nutritionist I don't even enough everyday to get my Protein from food.

If you are eating chicken and fish all day every day but only getting 20 grams of Protein a day, something isn't adding up.

How much are you actually eating and when?

If you had a turkey/ cheese roll-up that has 10 grams of protein twice a day that brings you to 20 grams.

Are you measuring, recording, and planning your food daily?

Do you set bench-marks? (Need to get 20-25 grams of protein at least 4xs a day, etc.)

Have you planned out a schedule for meals and Snacks with various options?

At 6 weeks out you should be able to get a majority of your protein from food but you have to work at it.

Did you NUT give you any suggestions?