Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post # 1 guys.

Decided to introduce myself here instead of one of the generic pre-op boards. I am just beginning this journey towards weight loss surgery. I am unsure if I will have the surgery. Deep down I know that I need it. 1/2 my family is against it, and 1/2 are for it. Both camps want to talk me over to their side and right now I am caught in the middle.

I met with my doctor 2 weeks ago to discuss my “situation”.

My doctor recommended weight loss surgery.

I went to the seminar last week and it was very informative.

Today I got my blood results and I have high cholesterol and low "T".

2 years ago I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and given a CPAP machine.

I am 5′7″ and I weigh 297 pounds.
I need to lose the equivalent of a baby giraffe

The proper BMI for someone my height (5′7″) is between 118 - 159 lbs.

I am sure that I have a screwed up body image, but I can not imagine myself @ 159 lbs. It seems alien to me. I certainly could not imagine 118 lbs. I think I would look like a prison camp survivor. (no offense to anyone). I think I would look extremely unhealthy. But, how is that different from how I look now. I look unhealthy now. I am trying to justify a different weight. 200 sounds good. 200 is a 97 pound loss. That makes sense to me. Unfortunately 200 lbs. is still considered obese for my height. I would not be morbidly obese, but I would still be obese. I have to get to 190 lbs. before I am only overweight.

This is a lot to wrap my head around.

Thanks for letting my vent and release as a way of introduction. I am not normally a "whiner".

When I am not pouring my guts out on weight loss boards, I am a Realtor in Jacksonville Florida, a Harley-Davidson motorcycle rider, and a lover of chicken wings and beer.

Mike

(BigHarleyGuy1)

Hi, BigHarleyGuy1, I am Miss Mac in Chicago. Since I had my surgery 16 months ago, I have lost the equivalent of wearing a colt for a belt. I can't imagine how I carried all that extra weight before. Whatever you decide to do, don't let yourself be swayed by either side. This is your earthly container you are walking around in, and it should be your decision only about how to manage it. I wish you the best and hope to see many posts from you. Keep in mind that your bariatric brothers and sisters are humans, too, and opinions and tact will vary. With that said, "Welcome aboard."

@@BigHarleyGuy1 I was in the same boat. Although my family supported my decision, it was my co-workers who were against it, as I was planning my surgery in Mexico. I survived and all is well... I started my journey at 277 and my goal is 175... still over my 'desired' weight. I have to be realistic and feel that weight would be best for me. So I would avoid the charts and set a realistic and attainable goal. Finally, your decision is based on so many issues and desires to be healthy. I decided after my dad had triple bypass, and having the bury my mother, who died from complications from her heart surgery. I didn't want to become just another statistic. So don't let others deter you from what you what or your goals.

Agree, you gotta make the decision for you. That said, for me, this has been awesome. My highest weight was 278 and I'm now about 210. I feel so great, so much more energy, so much more comfortable and confident in my own skin. I'm 50 and for me was so much more about being healthy than about l looking good, though looking good ain't bad.

Still, it's a big deal and isn't right for everyone. Do your research and whatever you decide I'm sure will be best for you. The rest is noise.

Damn, sorry sorry didn't see the guys only tag til after I'd gotten out. Apologies gents.

Harley, strongly agree with those who said only you can decide. I honestly think that those who discourage are reluctant to see you change. Probably because they enjoy you, love you, have fun with you just the way you are. I know that even though 150#+ overweight, I led very successful life and was nationally known in my field. I was strong, very active, and all that worked until I turned 60. Then "Arthur Ritis" move into my ankles. Bob Diabetes came to visit, and then good old heart attack. I could see my mobility leaving, and a much shorter life.

Funny, also cannot visualize myself at a normal weight, been fat since 3 yrs old. I had gastric bypass 5 weeks ago today. Already down close to 50#. Don't fret the goal weight. Just get in the neighborhood, get naked in front of a mirror and then set your own goal which is right for you.

You can do this. You and your family (even the naysayers) deserve a healthy you, and hey, the Harley will go much faster without that extra persons on the bike.

@@BigHarleyGuy1 Your story sounds a lot like me. I'm 5'6" and was hovering around 305 to 295 by my surgery date. I had diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and borderline testosterone levels. I put off surgery for over a decade. Suffered miserably using my CPAP machine and suffered through knee surgery. Now that I am a little over 4-1/2 weeks post op, I am down to 250 Lbs. My physician took me off all my medications and had to re-test me for CPAP pressure. I am so full of energy I am walking over 6 miles a day. Like John VDB and the other folks said, it is your decision to make,

Thanks y'all !

I am 5'8, and at one time weighed 275....could have been more, was too embarrassed to get on a scale....

I had lap band surgery...lost ALL my excess weight.

It totally changed my life!! I cannot begin to explain the feeling I now have about myself, and everything around me....

It was definitely worth it!!

Most people say around here how difficult it was, how miserable they feel, problems, etc, etc. etc....

Someone has to say it...it was the easiest thing I have ever done....granted, the first 6 months were difficult, because I had to adjust myself in ways of eating, etc, in order to be in "Balance" with this surgery.

Once I got that down, absolute heaven....

BTW, you mention what your normal weight should be...that is based upon BMI's which is very unscientific and inaccurate....only way to now if you are a good healthy weight is to have a body fat analysis done.

According to BMI's, I am 10 lbs overweight.....according to my body fat %. I am "Athletic"...there is no weight left for me to loose, unless I want to loose muscle....

There was pro football player, a running back, in the super bowl a few years ago playing for new England....they gave his stats...he was the same height as me, but weighed 20 lbs more!!! I quickly looked it up, and he would be OBESE!!!

Baloney!!! He did not have an ounce of fat on him, and was a star player that game.....

Welcome @@BigHarleyGuy1, if you want information from people that have gone through it, you are in the right place. Reading through this, I agree with so much that the others have said. @@B-52, you are absolutely right about BMI and my surgeon used the NFL player example in my consultation to show that it's just one measure of health and isn't always accurate. I also agree that this is easier than the traditional method of losing weight. Don't get me wrong, I work very hard, daily workouts, logging my food, etc. But when I want to fall off the wagon in a big plate of buffalo wings, the surgery literally prevents that from happening. (at 8 months out, I can eat 2 buffalo wings)

First post is always the hardest but after that is easy. I've learned that the more you post the more you might benefit others but most of all you benefit yourself as it keeps your motivation high.

You sound like a poster boy for Metabolic Syndrome and that's not something you want because it basically leads to all of the other bad stuff (early heart disease, increased risk of various cancers, etc.). I know, because I had the same stats. Increased BP, increased Chol, low T, borderline sleep apnea. It is all due to weight.

I would strongly suggest losing weight the old fashioned way and then keeping it off -- but the trick is that we all know how hard it is to lose it (especially when we are talking about anything over 40 or more pounds) and EVEN harder to then keep it off long term.

When it comes to family members, here is what you have to remember.

#1, it is your life and your decision. Unless you have a wife and kids, and then (my opinion) is that you have to consider their opinions as well.

#2 Make sure any advice you listen to is from someone that has done their homework. It is really easy to dismiss WLS when you don't know anything about it. If they have educated themselves and then provided a sound opinion, then I will listen. If not, then I listen, say thank you, and move on.

Welcome, Mike. I'm in your shoes, 3 months preop but I have found that changing your attitude is just as important as changing your eating habits. It can be overwhelming at first, but you just have to start with the first step. There will always be people against it, I have my share in my life. But you can't do it for them, you have to do it for you.

Does anyone even pay attention to the guys only tags?

Welcome @@BigHarleyGuy1, if you want information from people that have gone through it, you are in the right place. Reading through this, I agree with so much that the others have said. @@B-52, you are absolutely right about BMI and my surgeon used the NFL player example in my consultation to show that it's just one measure of health and isn't always accurate. I also agree that this is easier than the traditional method of losing weight. Don't get me wrong, I work very hard, daily workouts, logging my food, etc. But when I want to fall off the wagon in a big plate of buffalo wings, the surgery literally prevents that from happening. (at 8 months out, I can eat 2 buffalo wings)

I've thrown away more buffalo wings than I can remember...I got leftovers in the fridge right now that will go in the trash tomorrow.

And yes, I only ate 2, maybe three

Whatever path you choose, best of luck. read the crap out of this site! you will find all the good, the bad, and the ugly. I elected to have surgery. 8 months ago. fast forward to present day, I am 110+ pounds lost, feels years younger, energetic, run, I feel amazing. I told absolutely no one (except my wife), because is was just my decision to have the surgery and no one else's. the naysayers are likely misinformed. do your own research.

I feel that nothing in my life has been sacrificed. I work my asss off at the gym, eat healthy, gave up drinking. I have a new lease on life and don't plan to waist it.

good luck. keep in touch