Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 Days Post Op - Nausea & Generally Not Feeling Well

Hello, This is my first time posting as I just got banded 7 days ago! My surgery was 7 days ago and day by day the pain and gas has gotten better. However, I am extremely nauseous and very weak. In general, I am an energetic person but I can barely keep my eyes open. I feel nauseous and faint all the time.

Did anyone experience nausea and exhaustion for this long? Does it get better?

Nope. Let your doctor know.

Everyone recovers differently and at his/her own pace. This kind of fatigue sounds like something to address w/ your surgeon.

Welcome to the board, and brave on a great decision to be banded. It will get better - you are on the other side now! All you have to do is get that nausea under control and get yourself back to being yourself! Contact your surgeon asap. :)

First, I agree with the others about contacting your doctor. I have had similar experiences though, both in my last several weeks of post op, and also while doing a VLCD in the past. Generally if my calorie intake drops too low I feel very weak and lose my appetite. It could just be your body adjusting to taking in fewer calories.

Other things could be at work too. For me, taking in way fewer calories and rapidly loosing some weight made my blood pressure medication too effective.

As the others say. Phone your doctor. But it may well be just low calorie intake, after-effect of the operation itself.

Oh yes - I agree with Kate P - the nausea could be caused by being hypoglycaemic. I forgot that I had a run-in with that a few days post-op.

Blood sugar and nausea are linked due to the fact that abnormal blood sugar levels can cause a person to feel nauseous. For example, a person may feel nauseous during a time when his blood sugar levels are too high, which is referred to as hyperglycemia. On the other hand, a person may also feel nauseous when his blood sugar is too low, which is referred to as hypoglycemia. In either case, nausea is a symptom of abnormal levels of blood sugar, also called glucose, in a person’s bloodstream. - www.wisegeekhealth.com

I had never experienced hypoglycaemia before, and it hit me as I was in the shower, my 4th morning post-op. Came on suddenly and made me feel more ill than I ever had in my entire life. The nausea and light-headedness was awful and I thought I was going to pass out.

I added cream Soups to my liquid post-op diet and blended some Protein powder in there... and started feeling much better! Higher calories, but no more nausea as I was no longer hypoglycaemic.

I'm not saying that's what it is (you should still contact your Doc) but if it is, you are not alone. All part of the healing process! Hang in there - one day at a time!

Thanks Everyone! So glad I joined. I spoke with the doctor and she urged me to drink more in general- Isopure to increase my protei, Water and Tomato Soup. I'm feeling MUCH better! Tomorrow is my post op visit with the doctor and nutritionist. Little nervous to switch over the the pureed food stage. Hoping everything goes well!