Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy Memorial Day! - 2015

Happy Memorial Day!#subject#>

body,div,dl,dt,dd,ul,ol,li,h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6,pre,form,fieldset,input,textarea,p,blockquote,th,td { margin:0; padding:0; }

table { border-collapse:collapse; border-spacing:0; }

fieldset,img { border:0; }

address,caption,cite,code,dfn,th,var { font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; }

caption,th { text-align:left; }

h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6 { font-size:100%; font-weight:normal; }

q:before,q:after { content:''; }

abbr,acronym { border:0; }

address{ display: inline; }

html, body {

background-color: #d8dde8;

color: #5a5a5a;

}

body {

font: normal 13px helvetica, arial, sans-serif;

position: relative;

}

h3, strong { font-weight: bold; }

em { font-style: italic; }

img, .input_check, .input_radio { vertical-align: middle; }

legend { display: none; }

table { width: 100%; }

td { padding: 3px; }

a {

color: #225985;

text-decoration: none;

}

a:hover { color: #328586; }

div.outer { margin: 0 auto; padding: 14px; }

table.wrap { max-width: 800px; margin: 0 auto; }

td.logo {

background-color: #0f3854;

padding: 8px;

}

td.content {

background-color: #fff;

font-size: 14px !important;

color: black !important;

line-height: 150% !important;

padding: 8px;

}

ul {

margin-left: 25px;

}

Dear BariatricPal Members,

Happy Memorial Day from BariatricPal! Everyone loves this holiday because it kicks of the summer vacation season. As a weight loss surgery patient, you can use this holiday to kick off a new phase of weight loss and health, whether you’re getting ready for surgery or you’re working on losing weight or keeping it off. Here’s what we have for you in this newsletter.

• Use Memorial Day to Inspire Your Next WLS Victory
  • Red, White, and Blue: Your Memorial Day WLS Treats!
  • Healthy Barbecue for Memorial Day and Summer

Enjoy the newsletter, then use your day off to spend time with your family and friends. Don’t forget to burn a few extra calories and put together some healthy meals for the rest of the week!

Sincerely,

Alex Brecher

Founder

BariatricPal.com

Use Memorial Day to Inspire Your Next WLS Victory

Memorial Day is the national holiday that honors the men and women who have died while serving in the United States’ armed forces. This could include members if your immediate family or your former friends, or maybe your family tells stories of ancestors who went off to fight in long-ago wars such as World War I. Most of us know one or more family members or friends who currently serve in the armed forces, and this holiday offers the perfect chance to thank them for their service.

Memorial Day can also offer the opportunity to become inspired again in your WLS journey. Maybe you can dedicate the next phase in your journey to a vet, an active duty solider, or a current member of the reserves. Knowing how proud you can make this person can give you the energy to put in an extra 10 minutes on the treadmill when you feel like quitting, or the strength of mind to say no to dessert. Hit your goals as your inspiration is fighting for the country, and the two of you can make each other proud.

Red, White, and Blue: Your Memorial Day WLS Treats!

If you’re going to a Memorial Day party or just trying to enjoy the time for your family, there’s nothing more appropriate than bringing or making something red, white, and blue to serve. Decorated cupcakes and berry pie with ice cream are tempting and simple options, but you can do better. Here are some fun and healthier ideas.

• A veggie tray with purple and white cauliflower, red grape tomatoes and bell pepper strips, and white yogurt-based dip.
  • Sugar-free strawberry jell-o topping with sugar-free whipped topping and blueberries.
  • Sliced blackberries and strawberries in cottage or ricotta cheese optionally sweetened with low-calorie sweetener.
  • Sliced figs and red pears served with white low-fat feta or goat cheese.
  • With a little creativity, you can make an attractive and healthy treat to share.

Healthy Barbecue for Memorial Day and Summer

Memorial Day is the unofficial start of summer. That means it’s grilling season! Whether it’s a party at the park or a backyard barbecue, you’re the one who gets to decide how well you’re going to stick to your WLS diet.

Remember your pre-WLS days? A meal at a barbecue might have looked something like this.

• Chili dog and bun or barbecue ribs (500 calories)
  • Cole slaw or Pasta salad (300 calories)
  • Baked Beans (200 calories)
  • Iced brownie (200 calories)
  • Can of soda (150 calories)
  • 1 beer (150 calories)

That’s 1,500 calories, in case you lost count.

Healthy Grilling

Hot dogs, cheeseburgers, ribs…who needs ‘em? You sure don’t! With all the healthy possibilities out there, you have no reason to worry about a barbecue! For a healthy, tasty burger, grill a mixture of lean ground turkey, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasonings, and crumbled fat-free feta or grated parmesan cheese. Or, if you’re not in the mood for much food prep, just throw some lean ground turkey, veggie burgers, chicken breasts, or shrimp on the grill. They’re all high-protein, low-calorie choices. Instead of serving your Protein on Buns or rolls, serve them with lettuce leaves.

You may be able to get your family to try these healthy swaps. You could even challenge them to see who can come up with the best healthy burger or other recipe for the grill. If not, you know the drill. Throw their hot dogs and beef burgers on the grill, and let them have their treats as you enjoy your lighter, high-protein, low-carb food. Guess who’ll feel better after the meal!

Smart Summer Sides after WLS

If you’re still hungry and don’t feel like more protein, try grilling up a portabella mushroom or some sliced eggplants for something to chew on. For a side, almost any vegetable is a great grill choice: zucchini, asparagus, artichokes, onions, and even cabbage. Just brush them with a little olive oil, not butter, and flavor them with herbs, bouillon, or teriyaki sauce.

The cold sides can be killers at a barbecue, so plan ahead for healthier options. Skip the baked beans and biscuits, and don’t even think about mayo-laden pasta or potato salad. If your grilled protein wasn’t enough to fill you up, think about the following.

• Use Greek yogurt instead of mayo when making prepared salads.
  • Make prepared salads based on veggies or Proteins, not carbs. So, make slaw with shredded cabbage or broccoli, or make tuna salad or egg white salad with ham.
  • Always have a big green salad available. It’s something to fill up your plate and keep you busy when you’re not truly hungry but still feel like eating while everyone else is.

Sweet Endings…No Regrets

Red, white, and blue cupcakes...American chocolate chip cookies…a flag-decorated sheet-cake…you don’t have to blow your diet to show your patriotism! Fresh red strawberries, white peaches, and blue blueberries or purple grapes are just as patriotic, just as popular, and way healthier. Sugar-free ice pops work, too!

Your Memorial Day celebration and every other barbecue this summer can be even more fun because you know you’re doing the right thing for your weight loss. You can make your meal high-protein and low-calorie while keeping it delicious and simple.

Have a great Memorial Day! Remember to keep it healthy, active, and fun! After all, that’s what life and your WLS journey are for, right?

open.php?u=14368495&id=c98503be463a44f98