Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling a lil sad and a lil displaced

I went to see my surgeon today for my 7 month check up, and all was well, he was very happy with my progress, then just as we were starting to discuss the next appointment, he dropped a bomb on me! I met my surgeon back in 2009, he performed both lap band and vertical sleeve on me and we have very good solid professional relationship. Well today he caught me off guard and told me he was retiring next month and that he is passing me onto another very reputable surgeon who assisted him with my sleeve surgery last year.

Whilst i know i will be in very good hands, i feel a little lost as i just wasn't prepared for this. I know i just need to suck it up and count my lucky stars that he has referred me onto a reputable surgeon. I dunno maybe i need a few days to absorb this change. Sorry for the rambling, i just needed to air my thoughts.

How fortunate you were to have such a great surgeon -- and for all your surgeries.

I understand how you'd feel you're losing an important ally. But I hope you really like the new guy. He could be great. :)

As someone on the verge of retirement, I am happy for your old surgeon. I'm sure he deserves this life transition.

I can appreciate this. I thought my sleeve surgeon was a total tool, but I really, really like my plastic surgeon. His entire office is awesome, but he is probably my favorite doctor ever. Fortunately, he's super young so not retiring anytime soon, but if he suddenly decided to stop practicing I would be really bummed. I plan to have him do my face lift in 10 years and all the botox and filler I need between now and then. I am sure though that you will be able to bond with your new doctor and you may not even need him that much now that you are so far out from surgery. I will think good thoughts for you. :)

Aww, I'm sorry. I hate that feeling. I hope that your new doctor works out well.

That's the reason why I was anxious to get my band to sleeve revision done ASAP ( had it in February) mine did my band and I only trusted him and wanted him to do my surgery while he was still living here ( I think he's too young to retire but he can always move out of state). Look on the bright side, he got that damn band out of you and was able to do the sleeve before he retired.

Thank you to all of you, i appreciate everything you have all said. Yes i know i am very fortunate to have had such an amazing relationship with my soon to be retired surgeon.

I guess i was just being quite selfish, didn't really consider that this man has been on call 6 to 7 days a week performing an array of gastro-intestinal surgeries for well over 40 years saving peoples lives. Sometimes i just need a lil kick up the backside to stop and look at the situation from the other side. He did say he wanted to leave on his terms not WHEN or IF something went wrong. So i applaud his courage and hope that he has an amazing retirement.

I have been in contact with the new guys office and have made my appointment for three months time as i was instructed to do. I have to pay for an initial consult then every other visit is free. Im quite happy with that.