Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Embarrassed and Worried...

Hi everyone. I haven't posted anything on this forum in a couple of years. I was banded in 2007 and did pretty well at first and lost about 80 pounds. Over the years, I have gained back about 2/3 of it and was too embarrased to go to my surgeon so I haven't been for an appointment in probably 4 years. Last night I experienced what I believe is a band slip so I'm forced to go back. I keep telling myself it will be okay but I'm really worried....I feel like a total failure and am scared I will have to go through another surgery. Is it possible that this won't result in another surgery and that I can have a fresh start with my band?

Hi everyone. I haven't posted anything on this forum in a couple of years. I was banded in 2007 and did pretty well at first and lost about 80 pounds. Over the years, I have gained back about 2/3 of it and was too embarrased to go to my surgeon so I haven't been for an appointment in probably 4 years. Last night I experienced what I believe is a band slip so I'm forced to go back. I keep telling myself it will be okay but I'm really worried....I feel like a total failure and am scared I will have to go through another surgery. Is it possible that this won't result in another surgery and that I can have a fresh start with my band?

Did your band stop working? Became less effective? Can you re-call when, possibly how?

I would be concerned, and would call my Dr. if my band suddenly, or over time, stopped being effective....

Possibly a leak? Came undone? Lots of things...fortunately it is as effective today as it's ever been...so any change would alarm me.

Also, what makes you think your band slipped....I never experience it, so I am always curious what the symptoms are....

I called the doctor today and he said it sounded like it slipped. He said is the pain worsened to go to the emergency room and if it stays the same to come in on Tuesday.

I should have gone back when I started gaining but I felt it was my fault so I figured there want anything they could do. I just hope this can be resolved easily and I can start fresh.

Minor slips can be rectified by a total removal of saline which allows the stomach to return to the pre-slip position. Saline can then gradually be replaced.

This isn't always possible and it can be necessary to surgically reposition the band or replace it.

Good luck!

If it can be rectified, don't leave it again before going back to the doctor for fills! The band needs that after-care.

@@B-52 usual slip symptoms are a tightening of the band which can happen quite quickly (unlike the tightening caused by a build up of scar tissue which tends to be gradual). It can either be over a few weeks or dramatically quickly. Tightness can vary from increased reflux through to literally being unable to swallow even one's own saliva. It is almost always accompanied by pain, ranging from discomfort to awful!

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I spent most of yesterday in tears but feel much better today. I've gone back to the mushy food stage which is working. The good news is that I've lost 5 pounds....not exactly the way I wanted but maybe this Devine intervention to give me a jump start and get me back in the game. Looking forward to seeing the doctor to determine next steps. Thanks again and enjoy your Memorial Day. :-)