Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am about a month away from surgery:) but I need advice for pre-op diet and post op liquid diet.

I'd like to know what Protein did people use ? Broths ? Other foods ?

Ideas ?

Thanks in advance for any advice given, I appreciate it.

For pre-op Protein I'm using Premier Protein shakes (from Costco), unjury Protein powder, and EAS Complete Protein Powder. You may like something different than what others like. Try samples if you can so you don't end up with a lot of expensive Protein that you don't like. People say that your tastes may change after surgery. What you like now may not be what you like after surgery.

As for post-op, I'm stocking up on various things people have recommend. chicken broth, beef broth, crystal lite, Vitamin Water zero, sugar free Jello, sugar free pudding, green tea.

I picked up a nutr-bullet so I can puree food when I get to that stage.

Good luck!

Advice coming here from someone 14 months post-op at goal weight. I'm trying to remember back to those first few months post-surgery!

I stocked up on a bunch of supplies pre-surgery and didn't end up using 99% of them post-surgery. I just cleaned out my cubbords and threw out a bunch of Soup and Protein powders I never used because I couldn't stand them post-surgery. Others I tolerated before hand but post-surgery we can only eat so little that I wasn't willing to sacrifice taste for a few bites of anything. In other words, I typically opted for the full-fat cottage cheese vs. fat-free cottage cheese.

To get specific - a lot of people recommend those Torani sugar-free flavored syrups. I purchased 8 and never found a use for them. Adding them to cottage cheese and yogurt was just... Runny and gross.

The idea of drinking chicken/beef broth pre-surgery sounded far from appealing so things didn't change post-surgery. I bought two containers of uninjury chicken broth I used one scoop out of.

I would say gravitate toward things you know you love. Right after surgery, I ate Jello and Protein Drinks. I made jello in small individual sized tupperware containers where I added "unflavored" uninjury protein. Premiere protein drinks have 30 grams of protein. I used to get them at costco but my local store doesn't carry them anymore. Keep in mind that blending Protein Shakes with ice in a blender with a bunch of extras is a big no-no after surgery. It will make too much liquid for you to consume and add air bubbles you don't want. I'm mentioning this because there was a high-protein power I could tolerate pre-surgery if I added ice, 1/2 banana and powdered Peanut Butter. Post surgery it tasted gross in a shaker bottle. Cottage cheese was another staple to have and any soup you know you like. A blender is handy to purée any chunks down.

A food scale is handy to have down the road. The supply I found the most helpful to have is those small Dixie cups people often have in their bathrooms. They are the perfect size to measure out food right after surgery and will keep you from having to wash endless dishes for a tiny spoonful of food!!!!!

Edited by Bluesea71