Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post sleeve Constipation!

Any suggestions on post sleeve Constipation? ??? By the way I usually try for a natural way like prune or apple juice, neither work post surgery for me. Stool 100mg of colace twice daily doesn't do much either. My only help is exlax which I'm not too thrilled with using, I don't want my body to rely on such a heavy med.

Try peri colace. Its a stool softener a d a laxative. Also senocot.

Miralax is non habit forming. I used it Maybe 2-3 times per week to keep things moving at the beginning, now only occasionally.

I was adding miralax, Metamucil and benefiber to my Protein smoothies and still had to take MOM every other day just so I could go every 3 days or so. And when I did go, it was rock hard and I would even bleed trying to get it out (sorry TMI).

Then I started adding INSOLUBLE Fiber to my smoothies (benefiber and Metamucil are soluble Fiber products) and I was able to stop everything else. I use a mixture of ground flax seed and apple fiber. Now my stools are soft but formed and I go regularly every day. I also mix Kashi Go Lean Cereal in my Greek yogurt (it has 13g protein/10g insoluble fiber per serving)

I found that Fiber one mixed with my Greek yogurt every morning along with an Andrew Lessman product called Fibermucil worked like a charm for me. Good luck!

How long after surgery should we have our 1st stool? I'm 6 days post op and nothing. But its not bothersome.

Anesthesia and pain meds will both slow GI movement. Not to mention the liquid diet we are on pre and postop. It was 5 days for me after both my VSG and my neck fusion surgeries. I even took miralax starting day 3 both times.

You may check with your surgeon about when to start worrying. A dose of Milk of Magnesia might get things moving.

Thank Goodness I am not alone! I have had severe Constipation twice since surgery. It was the most excruciating experience I can ever remember in my life! I thought I was going to have to go to the ER to have it removed from my body! I take MIralax every day now, at least until I can have some veggies and fruit. Lordy, I'd rather have loose stools than constipation. What a pain in the A........well, you know.

How long after surgery should we have our 1st stool? I'm 6 days post op and nothing. But its not bothersome.

I had a bm the second day. I was pretty regular the first week then I don't know what happened but now It's a struggle. And I haven't taken any pain meds since the day of the surgery...I'm almost positive the Protein has taken it's toll on me. I would start taking or doing something to get those bowels to move. I've noticed when mine move and I weigh myself the next day I drop a few lbs

My surgeons nutritionist recommends Slow tea for this issue. Everyday and it will be smooth moves from then on! You can get it at any grocery store or drug store .