Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stop Losing in a Healthy Way?

My question is, how do you stop losing weight in a healthy way? I'm at 123 and I'm starting to look just too thin. But I don't want to just eat a bunch of junk to gain back a little. Know what I mean? Any thoughts.

I guess it's also about maintaining weight. It's a balance. How do you do it??

I hope to one day have your problem :)

How about adding healthy foods that are a little more calorie dense like sweet potatoes, Peanut Butter, or full fat cheese?

You and I are close in weight and while I would like to drop to around 119 I have found that there are certain things that prevent me from losing, which aren't unhealthy. As an example, when I lift weight, I maintain or gain weight but lose in inches. I have largely avoided weight training because I know I am all about a certain number and if I had been lifting the entire time, I would never have gotten into the 130's forget the 120's. I look at a squat rack and I gain weight, so now that I am under my original goal weight and sort of close to my end goal weight, one way to not continue to lose weight and to increase my tone is through building muscle.

In conjunction with building muscle, a nice side of being a little thinner is you can add Protein shakes that have more calories and more Protein. This balances out the calories you are burning with exercise and adds calories to your diet that aren't bad for you. You can also up your protein a little more, which also adds calories and is healthy for you, because now you don't have to worry about eating so much that you won't lose. I know that if I want to continue to lose I absolutely must have some form of cardio workout and be under 1400 calories, or if I want to be lazy and skip exercise, I don't get more than 1000 calories. I have found that to maintain I can eat around 1500-1800 calories and around 60-80g of protein and as long as I'm working out I don't really gain, I just bounce around between 2-3 pounds.

So shorter version of my answer to your question- add more protein, healthy fat, and weight based exercise. You'll build muscle, which will make you look more toned, but you won't be getting skinnier since you're counteracting everything with higher calories and higher protein. Adding a single Protein shake that has a decent amount of calories (I like the kind in my blender with Protein powder, almond milk, PB2, and frozen greek yogurt) should help you gain a few pounds healthily or maintain.

Nuts, advocado, dried fruit, healthy fats and whole grains.... and weights for sure... they change the way your body shape looks even if you dont lose more weight.

I am in the same position. While I don't look so thin because of my loose skin, I've been advised to stabilize at my current weight. I want to do this carefully because for me, this is dangerous. If I get used to eating high calorie foods, I'm worried that I could just forget about my diet all together. I still enjoy eating tasty foods. The VSG didn't change my preferences, it just made me able to make better choices.

I was in the same position after reaching my goal. I went back to my nut and she calculated the right number of calories and carbs to stop losing. She took into account my level of exercise, height, weight and age.

She recommended adding calories, if needed, with Kind bars. I've been maintaining for 8 months and so far it's gone well.