Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the first food you cheated with after Gastric Sleeve Surgery?

I've never "cheated". I've made a few bad choices along the way, but I did so mindfully and with full awareness.

Avocado isn't at all a bad juice! Mash it up, stir in a bit of salt, lime and sour cream and enjoy! That was one if my first purées! Feta should be ok as well as (gross!) squeeze cheese.

I will refrain in commenting on cheeseburgers, chewing and spitting and whole oysters. :faint:

There is no such thing as "cheating" in my world. I simply make choices, whether it's a piece of chicken or a piece of cake. And I never feel "guilty". I control what goes in my mouth, not the other way around.

During the first few months following surgery, I chose to follow my surgeons orders to a T so I would not have complications. For those of you eating solid foods and unhealthy foods so soon postop, you are simply choosing to compromise your health. But as consenting adults, that is your right.

BTW, here are some definitions of cheating....

"Cheating is the getting of a reward for ability by dishonest means or finding an easy way out of an unpleasant situation. It is generally used for the breaking of rules to gain unfair advantage in a competitive situation.".

: to break a rule or law usually to gain an advantage at something

: to take something from (someone) by lying or breaking a rule

: to prevent (someone) from having something that he or she deserves or was expecting to get

So although you may be "breaking the rules" by eating off plan, you certainly aren't gaining an unfair advantage or getting a reward for it!

I stuck to my plan faithfully until about month six. It was Christmas time and I had some sugar Cookies and cake. That was the first carbs I had eaten since surgery. I got right back on my plan by Jan 1.

I am now post op month 11 and some days I chose unwise foods such as pretzels, cookies or cake. However, I try to keep it to a minimum and only one day a week. I have been able to maintain doing this and even occasionally will lose a pound.

Once a cheater always a cheater. Two days post, I couldn't take the broth anymore, so I went to Sonic and ordered a Jr. Cheeseburger with mustard, ketchup and onions. I chewed each bite about 20 times and spit it all back into the bag. Pretty nasty, but the taste, woooo weee. I felt like a fat kid in a candy shop. Awesome. But to actually eat, 5 days out, went to this great seafood place to Celebrate a major event in our family and had oysters on a half shell. Went down smooth of course and sat well. That was the same fat kid in the candy shop, but actually eating the candy.

You Sir are a brave brave man. lol I did something similar with some Won Ton Soup I had about a week post op, except I chewed up all of the vegetables in it and spit them out.

To be fair though, while certainly unhealthy, my cousin, who also had the sleeve done, said she lived off of McDonald's cheeseburgers for the first several months after her surgery as soon as she was able to eat solids.

I get scared anytime I put anything in my mouth that I know I'm not supposed to. At this point, I'm more worried about rupturing my staple line than anything else. I imagine that 6 weeks out(when I should be able to tolerate most foods), I'll start being a lot braver, which could be a dangerous thing.

I think the key is to reign it back after you mess up. Knowing that there can be dire consequences to bad choices helps with that.

Not exactly cheating but i'm having a sordid love affair with Melba Toast atm. Even though allowed Melba toast but i'd rather not have it in my diet.

Edited by SoulGlo

Once a cheater always a cheater. Two days post, I couldn't take the broth anymore, so I went to Sonic and ordered a Jr. Cheeseburger with mustard, ketchup and onions. I chewed each bite about 20 times and spit it all back into the bag. Pretty nasty, but the taste, woooo weee. I felt like a fat kid in a candy shop. Awesome. But to actually eat, 5 days out, went to this great seafood place to Celebrate a major event in our family and had oysters on a half shell. Went down smooth of course and sat well. That was the same fat kid in the candy shop, but actually eating the candy.

You Sir are a brave brave man. lol I did something similar with some Won Ton Soup I had about a week post op, except I chewed up all of the vegetables in it and spit them out.

To be fair though, while certainly unhealthy, my cousin, who also had the sleeve done, said she lived off of McDonald's cheeseburgers for the first several months after her surgery as soon as she was able to eat solids.

I get scared anytime I put anything in my mouth that I know I'm not supposed to. At this point, I'm more worried about rupturing my staple line than anything else. I imagine that 6 weeks out(when I should be able to tolerate most foods), I'll start being a lot braver, which could be a dangerous thing.

I think the key is to reign it back after you mess up. Knowing that there can be dire consequences to bad choices helps with that.

If you don't mind me asking, did this adversely affect her weight loss or did she lose a good amount regardless?

I would bet that she lost some in the beginning. I would also bet that she found a way to "eat around" her sleeve and didn't lose any signifigant amount... and wont keep it off if she did.

If you don't mind me asking, did this adversely affect her weight loss or did she lose a good amount regardless?

She started out at 300lbs. Got down to 170lbs and is now three years out and maintaining. I think it slowed down her weight loss, but it definitely didn't stop it.

Please note, I do not advise that ANYONE tries to live off of McDonalds cheeseburgers just because they can get away with it and the portion size reduces the amount of calorie intake. We all know this is not healthy.

Good Luck.

I had the topping off of a supreme pizza 1 week out. Chewed it forever before swallowing. It was gooood! And I was fine.

Soda couple sips, mago juice 5oz, 1 chicken nugget... I just can't believe how I did it... The nugget made me sick...I'm 9 days post-op

How did the soda make you feel? I would have thought that would have made you sick before the chicken nugget would.

I actually had 10 starbursts candies 5 days post op as I was traveling back home after the surgery, a 30 hour travel with layovers through flight and had zero options. Packed bullion cubes from the 7-11 in my carry on before leaving and the darn things must have fallen out as they were no where to be found. Nauseam was out of control and needed something. Don't regret it one bit as it was a life saver. Felt fine. :)