Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What made you finally want Weight Loss Surgery?

For me the final straw was when my son took a photo of me on my phone only showing me from the neck down when I saw that not knowing who it was straightaway I said omg what a big person this person makes me look like a really thin person. After a few seconds reality hit me and I realised this person is me. I was shocked to the extreme didn't realise I looked like this. So that drove me to have surgery.

My final straw was being diagnosed with diabetes and high blood pressure last June. I already knew I was big, but I thought I was a healthy obese individual, but that wasn't the case so that's when I decided its time to get healthy and lose this weight.

I was very unhappy with my weight struggles, but since a year on Weight Watchers got me almost no where, I thought I was stuck with the weight forever. Then a relative had the band done and I saw success ! So I started looking into it and after researching it I had it done and was successful too !! I just wish WLS was "advertised " more or suggested by more Doctors as a possible solution to weight loss. Until my relative had it , I had only vaguely seen it in magizines ads, but just kind of glossed over the soft advertising.

Having been overweight all my life and having failure after failure with diets, I had resigned myself to being big. I was diagnosed with high cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes. I went through a nasty divorce and added anti-depressants to my list of meds.

5 years ago I met the most wonderful man and we got married in 2013. At 51 I want to be healthy so that I can spend the rest of my life with him. It took me a long time to find him and I want it to last as long as possible.

I am one week post-op and started my new eating habits mid January. I am already down 47 pounds as of this morning and looking forward to the journey!

I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. Been on blood pressure meds forever and it's been creeping up. Been on CPAP for years and that pressure was creeping up. Worried I'd develop type 2 diabetes at any time. Couldn't do anything without losing my breath.

My cousin was sleeved last year and has been doing great.

Time to get my act together.

I don't know what it is about photos. I can look in a mirror and not "see" how fat I am but I look enormous in photos.

My surgery date is coming up fast. Can't wait to be on the other side.

I was diagnosed with diabetes, my liver was fatty and blood pressure creeping up. I worked like crazy to lose 28lbs, and my numbers did not improve. I was trying to help my daughter get healthier, and I was getting sicker. I now feel like I am being a better example with my eating and activity.

Ive never really be happy with my weight, I have honestly been overweight my entire life, Ive lost weight and come close to being considered "healthy weight" but never actually gotten there, just to gain back more than I was in the first place. I've been on and off dieting since I was probably in 8th grade. I think my weight is taking opportunities away from me, I have alot id like to do but not sure I can at this weight. I'm a RN and had one of the highest GPA on graduation but was one of the few that went to interview after interview and not get called back, I now work in a clinic which isn't my ideal job, but they were the first to finally offer me a job. I'll be interested to see how I'm perceived after WLS. Also I have hypertension and I'm terrified I'm going to develop type II diabetes.

This.

To recap my reason, I needed to get out of my food coma in order to muster the confidence to leave my abusive marriage. Banded in March 2014, moved out with the kids and the dog and filed for divorce in July 2014. Best decision ever.

Good for you, Justwatchme. I have thrown two mean ol' rotten ex-husbands to the curb......both wolves in sheep's clothing. For all the aggravation it takes to get out from under an abusive relationship, the peace of mind is worth it. I am proud of you for moving on.

Sorry, I am old and don't understand all of the text abbreviations and special syntax. What does "this" imply as a response to a thread?

Being put on high blood pressure medication did it for me. My mom had died a couple years earlier from heart related issues due to high blood pressure. It scared me. I quit smoking, and had the surgery a couple of months later.

Today I ran almost 3 miles.

Sorry, I am old and don't understand all of the text abbreviations and special syntax. What does "this" imply as a response to a thread?

"I agree with this." Or "this is exactly what I would have said."

Sorry. Been hanging around my teens too long. Lol.

My straw was a triple whammy.

1. Took my daughter to Alberta to play in the mountains and show her the trails I used to guide trips on when I was professional outdoor educator there. A hike I used to be able to do in 2 hours took me 5. I could barely make it up the steep inclines, the switchbacks - - my knees were screaming, I was out of breathe... I was very, very sad. And to think just 15 years before I had conquered these mountains effortlessly at 140 pounds. Here I was, 259 pounds. I felt nothing but shame and frustration as my weight gain was 100% my own fault.

2. Flew back to Ontario from that lovely but sad Alberta trip and really, truly needed a seatbelt extender, but BLOODY WELL REFUSED to get one, so I punished myself nicely for the 5 hour flight. Was tired and sore and uncomfortable for the duration, mentally beating myself up for letting myself get to that point.

3. Got home from the airport, put the laundry on, sat on a lawn chair in our lovely backyard... and it collapsed under my weight. I burst into tears and yelled obscenities for about a full minute. THAT WAS IT. First the hike, then the airplane, then this. I was DONE.

I called a weight loss centre the next day and had a consult. The rest is history.

Today, 5 months post-surgery (lap-band) I am down 45 pounds. My skin is clear, my eyes are bright. I walked 4 kms into town with my husband and it was EASY. No screaming knees, no shortness of breath. And as I write this I am sitting in another lawn chair - - - and it is holding up just fine, thank you!

For me it was a a diagnosis of stage 3 kidney disease on top of all my other medical issues. Diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, all caused by obesity.

I also have psoriatic arthritis and degenerative disc disease. My spine is literally falling apart. I am down over 100lbs and I will have a 3 level cervical spinal fusion done on June 3rd.

I should have had the bypass 10 years ago to avoid some of these spinal issues.

I do feel fantastic and all my comorbitities are in remission. Having this bypass was one of the best things that ever happened to me.