Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Food More or Less of an Issue Now?

Do you find food is more or less of an issue in your life now that you're banded? I'm wondering if it's more of an issue because of all the preparations needed, or less because you're just not hungry as much. Other thoughts?

For me it is not as important as it was. It was my go to to fix everything....food when I was happy, sad, celebrating and so on. Filling in with other activities as there is not as much satisfaction with food as there once was. Food is less of an issue at this point.....but all things can change.

Once again - I typed a long reply and it vanished with a message saying the site had had to close! Is it just me? It only happens on this site! Following is in notes with typos! Can't face doing properly!!!!

Pre-op. food central. Every day, every holiday, every meeting - what will I eat when!

Now, love food, small quantity, high quality. But if miss a meal, no big deal. Where to eat comes way down planning list.

But beware, food demons still lurk. Sharing feelings wth large group long term wls friends (all major types wis), every one of us agreed demons still there. At six years out I genuinely believed I had conquered them. At 9 years out, I know they are still there.

It's less important to my day now but I'm aware of it more. I know that sounds weird but what I mean is, I'm way more conscious of my choices. However, if I can't eat what I planned, or have to choose something boring because my favorite isn't available, it's okay. food choices used to consume my day. It was my reward for everything, and it had to be perfect. Now it really is fuel, more often than not. But I enjoy it more! Go figure.

Before surgery I used to live to eat after surgery I eat to live.

Well, yes and no . I used to just randomly put food in my mouth because it was there. And I didn't always make the best choices. And I tried Weight Watchers. And I was hungry, ALOT. Now ? Food is less of an issue, I eat less and make much better choices. I learned to cook in the last year or so and have always loved grocery shopping , cooking shows and collecting cookbooks, so while I still think of food 24 /7 its more of a "what can I cook next ?" instead of "what can I shove in my mouth next ?" So, in answer to your question, yes and no.

So happy to have that appetite monster off of my back. Now I can enjoy my food by really noticing what's going on rather than just shoveling it in and thinking about what's next. Or that dull kind of mindless eating -- I had that, too. I'm a cook and enjoy preparation and presentation just as much as eating, really. I'm glad I still love food but can have a healthy relationship with it -- small portions at appropriate intervals. Yippee!

I find it's more of a frame of mind. I slipped (rather easily) back into some old snacking habits and am now having to backtrack a little. I find that if I'm not careful I could undo everything the band helped me do. Don't get me wrong, I love what I've accomplished with the band; but it's a tool. Just a tool. I still love food. Now, with the help of the band, I have more control.

I feel that since I've had surgery I think about food more than ever. I watch cooking shows, I'm buying more Snacks just to see my daughter eat them. My daughter is actually at a normal weight, 5'10 @ 129 lbs. She's one of the lucky ones who can eat what she wants and never gain any weight. Just sharing so you all don't think I'm over feeding my daughter. There are 24 hrs in a day and I think about food 12 hrs of that. I guess its because I'm not doing anything else. I'm an unemployed single parent with a lot of time on my hands.

I have little to no interest in food....no hunger or cravings....most days I can't make up my mind what to eat...

I can go into a grocery store looking for something to take home for dinner, and I wander around the store having a hard time finding anything....

There have been times I will get this crazy idea to cook some major dish I have not had in some time...I would go out of my way to purchase all I need, spend time preparing and cooking it, then when it comes time to eat, after one or two bites, I realize I did not want it because I'm simply not hungry. Have no desire. Goes in the fridge, then eventually gets thrown out.

The upside to this, (aside from loosing weight and not being a glutton)...is our grocery bills have come way down.

Our fridge is empty compared to what it used to look like. No more costco...that's ridiculous...

And because both my wife and I work long hours (she is in the medical field also)...we tend to go out a lot, or simply get "Take Out" on the way home....

As a side note, when I do eat...the band sets my portion sizes, and prohibits me from overeating...so it's all good. 180 degree reversal from my old life.

I fell like food is still a big issue for me. I think about it often. After having this procedure I now understand that food is my go to when I am hungry, bored, sad, looking for entertainment and socialization, etc. This is a really hard habit to change. There are many suggestions out there on how to change this pattern of thinking and what to do when emotions are the reason for consuming foods, but it is really hard for me to do. I have not found a solution that has worked for me.

People talk about cooking meals and such. I have found the portions I can consume are so small there is not a reason to cook because I make too much. The leftovers then sits in the fridge for a week because I do not want to eat the same thing daily. When I purchase food to make meals I am still buying too much. I haven't mastered cooking smaller meals because it still does not look like "enough" food as I am preparing it. It is something I am working on, but I do find food as a constant challenge.

Good Topic!