Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych eval or nuissance... you decide

So I finally had my long awaited and dreaded psych eval a few weeks ago. After that was over I thought I could breath easier, after all I only had another NUT apt and that is in a few weeks. I was rather not fond of the guy evaluating me, he asked me a lot of questions about my job history, so much so that I thought I was being interviewed. My last job laid a lot of people off and was in the process of laying off more, my division was one of them. I left that company for another position, higher pay and stability he made it seem as though I should have tried to stay in a position that was ending. We talked very little about what I thought should have been focused on eating habits, coping mechanisms that sort of thing, he asked me NOTHING, about how I got to that decision to be there, if I have changed anything in my lifestyle, or had any plans. Near the end of the interview that went no-where he checked my notes from doctors and noticed I had been put on an antidepressant. The doctor who put me on it suggested I talk to the social worker on staff, she called a month or so after I was referred to her to tell me she was leaving and sent me somewhere else.. They have a 2 month wait to be seen in my area.. End of july is 1st available. He wants me to see the social worker on their staff at the bariatric clinic so she can coincide with my therapist to determine when my best surgery date would be...

I know, this is all up to them but I feel upset about this whole thing, I work full time I have 4 kids and a step son we have split custody im extremely over weight and it has effected the way I feel about myself of course im depressed. I was also dealing with thinking i may lose my job at that time.. and I feel like im being punished because I went seeking help, depression runs in my family i didn't want it to get to a point that i couldn't control it. I knew that having a surgery in the summer would work best for me and my family, my kids would be out of school so my oldest could help with my younger twins.. its easier to get time off during the summer months at my job, i planned on my mother coming to help for a week but she wont be able to past July. Not only that but between all of the therapy appts with a therapist, then seeing the social worker on top of that plus my pcp and doing other appts to get ready for surgery i will have missed so much work that I will either a, get fired or b, not be able to proceed! I undersand wanting to make sure someone is prepared, but my regular therapist is for depression issues, not surgery issues. I completely changed my lifestyle to do this, quit soda don't turn to food have made sure i can do this before going into this process..

I'm sorry! That sounds absolutely ridiculous. Perhaps he's looking at your job history to see if you're stable or make new decisions rashly, I don't know! It sounds like it was extra hard for you, especially being that he didn't ask any questions about the surgery! Stick with it, it is worth it.

I'm sorry you had to go through this ordeal....I have my psych eval coming up and have no idea what to expect. And now I am very concerned--my PCP just put me on Zoloft for depression and I'm wondering if this is going to hurt my chances of approval--I am very close to the lower end of the minimum BMI but I do have sleep apnea. I have been taking off some weight during the process just by walking more, staying away from bad carbs, no more diet coke...all the things that will be necessary after surgery-but I'm so afraid Aetna will look at it and say see? She's losing on her own, no medical necessity for surgery....ugh. I just want to get healthy.

I hope everything works out in your favor, @SpookieLei. Best of luck to you!

That's just terrible!! Mine didn't ask much about my "love of food" but didn't harp on one thing either. Did you go to someone your doctor recommended? Usually they don't send you to someone who has a history of recommending patients not have surgery.

So I hope this gives you some comfort, but I am on an anti-depressant and no one even blinked at that. It's like they just expected it even. The therapist I saw for my psych eval I have continued seeing and she is truly a God send. I have seen her probably 10 times since Feb. and fully intend to continue to see her after the surgery. She has really helped me understand this disease I have (because lets face it, I didn't get to over 300 pounds just because I was a happy eater). I am a food addict and wow has this process been eye opening for me. @@SookieLei I a very sorry you had such a bad experience, but hopefully they are just being overly cautious. Maybe they will have a cancellation and can get you in sooner? I would keep calling and see if they have an opening. Good luck! And to others - don't dread it. Therapy is an important part of this process and I don't see myself being successful without it. (Though I have friends that didn't have to since they were self-pay and dr didn't require it if insurance didn't. Not what I would recommend but there you go.)

I feel really upset right now! I was told by my job, that if I need to take time off for a surgery it would need to be before the end of July, other than that for extended time off I will need to wait until Mach-April of next year. According to my insurance timelines I have met all requirements now, the only thing keeping me back is what the psych suggested which sets me back 3-4 months! Definitely not meeting the end of July deadline. And why, all because I'm on an antidepressant??? Seriously, look at me im morbidly obese and my quality of life SUCKS, ya think???