Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my drain removed today

Had my sleeve done 5/11 and had to keep my drain in until today. Went to the doctor's office and found out I lost 13 lbs in 10 days! After the great news, my doctor laid me down and pulled the drain from my abdomen. I read a few topics on here that said this process doesn't hurt. In my case, it was soooo painful! It hurt so much I thought something went wrong. I will admit the pain goes away fairly quickly and by the time I left the office, I was no longer in pain but wow that hurt a lot!! Just sharing my experience for others that have to keep in a drain for a few days.

I had a sleeve on 4/28. What's a drain? I didn't have anything that had to be removed. Just curious

During surgery they placed a tube in my stomach through an incision that attaches to a plastic little bottle that collects blood/liquid. I had to keep the drain attached to me for 10 days. Im surprised you didn't have it at all. Some have it removed at the hospital. It was annoying to hide this bottle under my clothes and I couldn't sleep on my stomach or side. Im glad it's out!

Thank you. I appreciate the explanation. I did not have one of those at all.

OMG!! I can totally relate! I also had a drain tube, it sucked! And when the doctor removed it it took him two pulls and the second pull, I almost came of the bed. Not everybody gets this pleasure but some do, and I'm glad it's over!! Good luck to All!!!

Hello miss motivated!! We got sleeved the same day and I also had to keep my drain under my clothes until today.

I actually removed my own. I had a drain a couple of years ago from a different surgery and I learned doctors are animals when it comes to removing drains or stitches. So I didn't want to put myself in that position again. I took a long, relaxing shower with warm Water, washed all my wounds with soft soap and headed to the doctor's office and told him I wanted to remove the drain myself. He looked at me with a strange smile on his face... like he didn't think I would have the balls to do it and handed me a pair of tiny scissors.

I took a look down to see how the stitches were holding my drain tube in place, I cut them and later I started pulling my drain slowly... changing my position once or twice to release some discomfort but didn't feel any pain.

I am so happy now that it's gone!!! I feel much better. I had a soft pain under my left rib since the day of the surgery just like when you run with your mouth open but after removing the drain it's gone!!!

I hope you are also feeling better.

Im glad yours went smoothly. I wish I could of taken mine out myself as well. I felt like it was stuck on something internally and he just kept pulling. Its weird though cause as painful as it was, it really was just a few moments of pain so I guess it's just apart of this process. Hope your recovery is going well and thanks for the well wishes. Im 17lbs down and feeling great.

It's funny. It's almost like you are my sleeve sister lol. Got sleeved the same day, got the drain removed the same day, have lost almost the same amount of weight... we even look alike. I also have big eyes, dark hair too. Have not figured out yet how to upload a profile pic... will figure it out later.

It is cool to feel related to someone going through the same process. How many pounds to lose to reach your goal?

I believe the drain was the worst part, and mine was removed the next day before I left the hospital. But I think it bruised my diaphragm.

I was sleeved 14 months ago and am very active on these boards. First time I'm reading about people having drains post WLS! I wonder when and how often they are used?

@@Bluesea71 the bariatric center I went to puts a drain in every patient. Depending on the output in the drain when the patient is released from the hospital, the drain could be removed before they leave, or may have to stay in till nothing is draining into the little bulb. Then you'd have to go back to the hospital to have them pull it out. It really is relatively painless, as long as you follow their instructions to breathe out, while they YANK it out. :)

It's funny. It's almost like you are my sleeve sister lol. Got sleeved the same day, got the drain removed the same day, have lost almost the same amount of weight... we even look alike. I also have big eyes, dark hair too. Have not figured out yet how to upload a profile pic... will figure it out later.

It is cool to feel related to someone going through the same process. How many pounds to lose to reach your goal?

Yes, we have a lot alike! I have 70 pounds to reach my goal. Im almost at my first goal of being under 200 lbs. I haven't been under 200 pounds since high school! Tomorrow I get to start eating pureed food. I can not wait! Im so sick of liquids! Hope your recovery is going well!