Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just for Men: How long did it tak you to get your brain and stomach back in syncronization?

Gentlemen, I am experiencing a slight disconnect between feeling hungry and my stomach feeling full. It sounds like a strange concept, but I have heard other people mention it. My doctor told me the feeling is not unusual and that the conditioning of my stomach feeling full will resolve the hunger issues. Have any of you guys experienced a similar disconnect, and if so, how long did it take? Before surgery I felt that I could compete with Adam Richman's Man Vs. food as to who could eat more. Now I behave myself to avoid exploding my new pouch.

Interesting question. I am 2.5 years post surgery and am having a tough time with what I think you are describing. I dont know if my brain and stomach have ever matched up...and that has been a big problem/struggle ever since surgery. Early after surgery when I was "good" and would eat religiously per WLS guidelines, my stomach would give me that full feeling, but I was always super unsatisfied, super hungry, not satiated. I would eat the 4 oz Protein and my stomach would feel bloated and uncomfortable, but I never felt satisfied like I would pre surgery after a giant meal. As time has gone by, I have had to stray from the plan to just get some satisfaction and that is not good. That wasn't a problem (as my weight went down month after month - 150 lbs) for all but up until a few months ago, but lately it is becoming a problem (gaining 20 lbs). I am back to craving food, craving Snacks, hating myself for not following the plan, for gaining weight, for eating sweets etc. I feel like I am back to my bad relationship with food that I had all my life. I am discouraged with myself and with the surgery. No one ever told me that while smaller stomach meant full feeling, that isn't the same as feeling satisfied.

Interesting question. I am 2.5 years post surgery and am having a tough time with what I think you are describing. I dont know if my brain and stomach have ever matched up...and that has been a big problem/struggle ever since surgery. Early after surgery when I was "good" and would eat religiously per WLS guidelines, my stomach would give me that full feeling, but I was always super unsatisfied, super hungry, not satiated. I would eat the 4 oz Protein and my stomach would feel bloated and uncomfortable, but I never felt satisfied like I would pre surgery after a giant meal. As time has gone by, I have had to stray from the plan to just get some satisfaction and that is not good. That wasn't a problem (as my weight went down month after month - 150 lbs) for all but up until a few months ago, but lately it is becoming a problem (gaining 20 lbs). I am back to craving food, craving Snacks, hating myself for not following the plan, for gaining weight, for eating sweets etc. I feel like I am back to my bad relationship with food that I had all my life. I am discouraged with myself and with the surgery. No one ever told me that while smaller stomach meant full feeling, that isn't the same as feeling satisfied.

Richard, Thank you for sharing this. I think I learn more from other people's successes and struggles than I sometimes do my own. I will now keep an even more vigilant eye out for my issues with sugar and wheat. Hopefully some other guys have climbed this mountain and have good news to give us.

For me, never really a binge eater, but more of a quantity eater -- too big of portions. I like the PAL who said her eyes were bigger than her stomach! Literally

At four weeks post bypass, yesterday while on the road, went to my first restaurant with my wife. I ordered a small combination mexican dish, have to say have never done that before. I felt deprived by having to order a small combination. My brain definitely did not like this turn of events. When the (excellent, BTW) food came, I could only eat about 1/4 of it before the pouch filled. I am sitting staring at this beautiful meal and could not believe that was it for this meal. We got a container and took it back to the hotel room and shared it for lunch. We talked about this very dynamic, so decided that in the future we will share one entree if allowed; I will order child's portions if allowed; and if the restaurant will not allow those things after explaining my surgery, we won't go back. I need to ask my Dr. for one of those cards I can show people which says I can only eat a small amount of food....

Wow, didn't know they had a card for post weight loss surgery. I've heard the expression that Americans eat with their eyes. Considering how big Europeans are also getting, I can proudly say thank you McDonald's for being such a big success in France.

Back to the topic at hand, I hope that this brain stomach disconnect is just a temporary thing. It seems that gaining back some weight can happen quite easily if you still feel hungry despite feeling full.

I can say about 6 months. The trick is Protein and Water.< /p>

If that is the sole secret, then I am a WLS Prepper. I purchased buckets of Protein powder that I like and a freezer full of fish, pork, and chicken. Decided not to buy steak since some people complained about having problems with steak. But from recent posts, that varies from person to person.

I am just shy of 3 months post op. I certainly have cravings, I tried a small (verse my usual large ice cream mixer at Sonic) and I paid the price... my feeling of hunger seems significantly lessened. I seem to never actually 'feel' hungry, like before surgery, I could smell food and get the instant feeling of hunger. Somedays... I'll get so tied up in yard work or family obligations that I wont each lunch or dinner until 7/8 PM after only eating Breakfast in the morning. I am very good at drinking my fluids, but getting the trigger to eat is something I certainly have to work on.

Thanks for sharing

I have the lap band, and have to say after 4-1/2 years, I have never had that "Full" feeling....that feeling when after pigging out at a Thanksgiving dinner and you have to un-buckle your pants...

I simply cannot continue...hard to explain

As far as my head goes, I am never really hungry...and I have no interest in food...if I forget to eat, it does not bother me.

Today is an example....have not eaten since Breakfast smoothie.

It is as though my band is telling my brain I am full, and I don't need o eat anymore...even if I have not eaten.

Back to the thanksgiving analogy, remember when you were so full that if you did jot want to look at another piece of pie?

Well, I'm like that all the time...at least mentally...

Complete opposite of how I feel. Fear of hurting myself is what is keeping me in check right now. If it weren't for the pouch, I would be finish off 14 oz shakes instead of the scheduled 8 oz / 250 calories.

I'm suffering that head stomach battle right now.. I'm 3 weeks post op, and have been managing well, but then fall into that trap mentioned earlier about portion size and my brain overriding the stomach signals. And I paid for that by throwing up a couple times. So now, went and bought a lotta small bowls and children's fork and spoons to work at controlling portion size and speed of eating. We'll see if this helps..

I don't like to hurl. I have only had a hangover twice in 64 years. First time, thought maybe it was a cosmic accident so gave it one more try, that was it. With WLS, I had to try to push the pouch capacity. Yep, threw up. Not once more in 5 weeks. I have learned to chew, small tiny bites, and small portions because I am a shameless wuss --- don't like pain, don't like to throw up.

I hear ya @... I hate throwing up... About 2 weeks ago... I tried some plain chocolate milk... 3 sips and I was kneeling in front of the porcelain thrown nearly begging to throw up... I suffered through it and survived intake... lesson learned.. no more chocolate milk for me!!!

Gentlemen, I am experiencing a slight disconnect between feeling hungry and my stomach feeling full. It sounds like a strange concept, but I have heard other people mention it. My doctor told me the feeling is not unusual and that the conditioning of my stomach feeling full will resolve the hunger issues. Have any of you guys experienced a similar disconnect, and if so, how long did it take? Before surgery I felt that I could compete with Adam Richman's Man Vs. food as to who could eat more. Now I behave myself to avoid exploding my new pouch.

Thanks Nikasio, disconnect is an interesting way of phrasing it I definitely agree I'm 3 months out and this resonates big time. I'm never really satisfied with a meal I think it's a psychological adjustment IMHO because I'm not really hungry when I eat I'm not really satisfied with a meal almost a little depressing no?

mental battles are tough for me. I am stalling right now at 9 months out. I find myself wanting to snack. especially at home in the evenings. mental mental mental.... I have a relationship with eating. it is a battle I have always fought. I am happy to say I am winning the war, but lose a battle here and there. I am not sure if the war will ever end, but I am willing to fight it.

Happy that nothing makes me sick and I can eat whatever I want, but on that same note, it makes me sad.... I wish I threw up every potato chip, chocolate, candy....

back to kicking ass. that is all we can do. make a mistake and get back on track. (i.e. my intense gym workout this morning) I am going to get that scale moving again! close to goal. want to be there by my surgiversary! :)