Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

53 here!! Had my surgery 4/23/15 and already feeling awesome! Doing things I couldn't do before! Not out of breath anymore, BP is normal, I can walk for miles, and I enjoy it!! Like others have said....wish I had done it sooner. I kept thinking I could do it with a "diet". I was wrong. Best of luck to you @

HAH!!! The biggest myth of all....that we could do this with a diet....in my world, not a chance! And the second myth....that we are too old....I am 61, sleeved at 58 and am in the happiest years of my life that would never have happened without this.....Rock on ladies!

I am 59 and having surgery tomorrow. I am so excited to met the new me. I want to play in the floor with my grandchildren, ride Water rides again, and just have fun. I have worked hard, raised wonderful children, have great grandkids,and have a wonderful husband. I wnt to be around for a long time. I know if I do not change my life FOREVER I will not be here. Now it is time for ME! I am self pay also, I just keep telling myself that I am worth it.

Welcome to the club Navymom1!!! I was self-pay too....and I turned 58 3 days before my surgery, 3.5 years ago....you are in for a fabulous year!!!! Good for you!

hey! I can get up off the floor now...ALL BY MYSELF!!!! and it isn't a struggle, and that is only after about 40 pounds!!

It's funny, I just want the things I was able to do when I was younger that has only been hindered by my weight, getting off the floor, sleeping on the ground when I go camping(although I got pretty spoiled with my big man cot) and I have always wanted to learn to Kayak cause I fish a lot, um only dats away from finding out when I am scheduled, everything is done.......

I'm 56 and my surgery date is 06/24. It took me 3 or 4 yrs to make the decision to do this and also money was an issue but now my mind is made up and I am totally ready.

I find myself wondering what life will be like being much, much smaller than I am now and honestly I cant even imagine. And I do find myself worrying that I will be one of the ones that only loses 60 lbs or so and then regain but I keep telling myself that I will have to be on a "diet" the rest of my life so I may as well have a great tool to help me during the long journey.

@@Licia'sjourney You can do this! It's not a "diet", it's a lifestyle. My surgery is coming up soon. I can't help but think of the song from the Rocky Horror Picture Show....."Don't dream it...be it." Here we go... it's our time to be it! It will be tough but we can and will do this!

You will look different! You will feel different! But you will still be the same person, just healthier, happier and you will be free from diets and how food controls your life so you can concentrate on living! A friend of mine just picked up my book yesterday at my house and said she could barely see that I was the same person...I take that as a compliment because I know I had let myself go. I had surgery at 58, almost 4 years ago and have NEVER looked back! Good luck to wascott and Lisciasjourney...you are in for a very fun year!

Licia : I turned 51 in February, after a 10 year bad marriage, I remarried a wonderful woman and began my life over , I have 2 step boys, 5 yo twin boys, and my 7yo princess, but in the last few years I've lost some close friends, and suffered more pain in my knees, and back than ever, my mobility issues and fear of falling, all played a part in making this decision, it took me 2 years of research, and educating myself, now I am 4 days away from surgery, I started this part of my journey in January @ 388lbs, so with that I started to "practice diet" and with that my pre surgery diet I weighed in last Monday @ 349lbs ! I'm the process I accidentally learned one of my most important lessons, the rest of my life will not be I diet, it is me admitting that I learned and practiced bad habits I learned early on, and now I am already comfortable with it, in fact I have pretty much made some of the most awesome meals I have ever had on this surgery pre diet, and I am looking forward to even better meals "AS" (after surgery) lol, remember, and I am quoting one of my new mentors on here "eat to live, not live to eat", I want to be independent at 55, 60, 70 years old , that is my goal!

Surgery last Dec at 62. I'm 5+ months out and down 72 lbs. No complications, very smooth recovery.

I feel better than I have in decades and my doctors are thrilled!

My surgeon has said that she finds her older patients actually do better than many of the younger ones. They follow directives and don't feel the need to "challenge" what she and the nutritionist say. I think this is because for us older folks we realize what is at stake. It's not primarily about appearance... it's about health. And at my age this is my shot to get it right. I picked my surgeon for her experience and the confidence I have in her. Best decision I could possibly have made!

@ Debbie Jean : I think it's cause we get tired of the gorilla on our backs! Seriously your right, hopefully for many of us the adage of age and wisdom holds merit, I researched for 2 years and made my decision by looking at how I wanted to live the rest of my life, @ 51 yrs old fear sets in when you realize your mortality at the dr.'s office and your blood pressure is up, your knees are shot and your back doesn't wanna work with you, after my surgery on Wednesday my fun years will start!

Good luck laguerr13! Very excited for you and yes, your life will improve so much....I too was hobbling around on bad knees, feet, hip. Now at 3.5 years out and 61 years old I feel like I am 35...in fact, just walked in the door from a 30 mile bike ride...easy!

My vice will be a kayak! I've always wanted to kayak, if you look that hot in your 60s then I also have some handsomeness to look forward to.......????