Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm finally thinking seriously about having WLS - gastric sleeve in particular. Worry that I am too old to have this done - I'm 56. I'd love to hear from other 50 somethings who had surgery in their 50's. What was your experience like? Anyone use Medicare? Am I crazy to consider this at my age?

Hi Bethel....at the risk of sounding like I doing a self promotion, please consider reading my book. I was 58 when I had it done and it changed my life. I am now 61 and happier than I have ever been in my life ever. I am also 5'3". You can do this. And in my humble opinion, you should!

Thanks Queen of Crop - I'll look into it! Glad to know that you had it in your 50's and are happy with it!

Look up the New to the Fifties group. There are a lot of posts there and all over 50. I was 57 when I had mine done, and I feel great!

51 here and had it done May 15th. Very happy with a decision that took me a long time to come to. Good luck!

I had VSG surgery at age 68. I'm 69 now and at goal. It all went pretty easily for me.

My life is worth as much to me at nearly 70 as yours is to you now or as a 25 year old's is.

FTR, my life is soooooooooooooo much better now than it was a year ago.

It's never too late to improve our lot in life.

Never.

BEAUTIFULLY SAID VSGANN.....THIS SHOULD BE FRAMED. IT'S PERFECT.

I am 55 and three weeks post surgery today!

Had absolutely NO problems from the surgery. No vomiting, nausea or reflux at all!!! Feeling younger every day that the scale shows a loss. My knees are already feeling better too!

I only wish I had did this years ago because I am worried about how much flab will be left on this big body. Oh well, my insurance would not pay for this procedure and we had a daughter to raise. LOL! Now it is my time!!

@ - you have fought this battle for so long like the rest of us. I am 52, wished I had done this a few years back, wasted a lot of time and some of the medical issues I wouldn't have now. I am hoping to lose the BP meds and fend off diabetes!

Nope! You are not crazy. My surgery is June-22. I'm looking forward to losing this weight, getting healthy, and feeling like a million bucks! There are lots of success stories from folks your age and older. You can do it too! Good luck!

Hello...

I am 55 and just getting started so I will be 56 by the time I have surgery. The common sentiment I hear from everyone here is that they are sorry they waited so long and they'd do it again in a minute. I don't think we're too old at all. 1. We deserve a good life and 2. We will be extending our life.

I'm still learning my way around this site and look forward to meeting new friends. The journey is better with support. :)

PS: How can I get a ticker like so many others on here?

Hi Mary Jane! I was 58 when I had mine done....I am 61 now and I am living the happiest years of my life! No need to have regrets, just look forward! You will do fine!

I am 51 and my surgery is scheduled for June 15th.