Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liver Reduction Diet... SUCKS.

Y'all I'm about two minutes away from taking this shake powder and flushing it down the toilet.

But in all seriousness, is it supposed to be this hard Pre-Op? I only have 3 days left until surgery, which I AM SO EXCITED about, but at the same time these shakes are depressing me a little... I think it's because I'm eating (drinking, I wish I was eating) them day in and day out. 5 shakes a day, and it sucks..

Was anyone else on this diet? And what is the risk of having a cheat meal this close to surgery? My birthday is Tuesday, and my surgery is Monday, and some of my friends want to take me out to dinner. I want to go, but the last thing I want to do is mess something up when I'm this close. Like 3 days people!!

Any suggestions? and please make me feel better by saying it was hard for you too doing this diet.
I would HATE being the only one.

Until next time,

-Erin

I would literally dry heave every time I had to drink a shake - you're not the only one that found it hard. I just kept reminding myself about the end goal and that's what got me through!

I'm on this type of pre-op diet. I was told by my doctor's office that black coffee with splenda was fine, sugar free Jello, and if I absolutely had to eat something make sure it was lean Protein

@erinmay93 Honestly, call you NUT or doctor and ask them if they would allow you to go off program for a meal. BUT, to keep yourself in ketosis you will need to ensure there are no added carbs, the Protein (fish or chicken) is lean and your veggies are free of fat. Personally, you are this close I say just keep plugging away, you already had your food funerals. But if you want do it under your docs advisement.

@@ShellMilliner I decided not to go out tonight, like you said. I'm SO close and the last thing I want to do is screw up and not be able to have surgery. My bad meals are in my past, and I have to accept that even it sucks at times!

Thanks for the advice!

I'm on the 5 shake a day diet. I don't see what the big deal is, personally. I have said this in other posts, if you can't do this...how do you expect to be able to handle things post op? The surgery is a tool, yes, but that tool doesn't stay as confining as it will be at first. Meaning, eventually your stomach will enlarge, and dumping will be a thing of the past. I'm not trying to be cruel. But I guess I wonder why just a few days out from surgery people are cheating or thinking of cheating. I quite enjoy my shakes, and I get sf Jello, popsicles, Decaf tea or coffee, broth. Try the warm stuff, it makes you feel more full. Plus don't forget Water Water water, and water with flavor drops. Remember, this is just my opinion...some people aren't going to like my viewpoint or be angry about it, but take it as you like....it can be helpful or you can ignore it. What I find most upsetting is people in my life who know I am going through this, of course I am hungry, but talk about food in front of me. That I think is just plain cruel. I live alone though so maybe this is much easier than someone who has to be around food. At any rate, I wish you luck, I wish you strength, and to remember what you are doing and why. You can do this....it's just a few more days. I promise you'll be so proud of yourself for doing it without cheating. Also think of the fact that it is helping your surgeon to work on you more easily. That alone is motivation enough for me. Question friends who know what you are doing, and yet are wanting to give you food. Really....I'd question that. :) You can do this, just 3 more days !!!!

I had to do the pre-op diet twice (bc my first scheduled surgery got cancelled three days before surgery). The first time I pushed through and it was ok. The second time (just had my surgery this past Monday) felt much harder. I was really hungry and the Protein Shakes just were not filling me up. I really struggled but Now I can say liquids before surgery are way different than liquids after surgery. Now i am having a hard time getting in all the liquids bc my stomach fills up so fast. My head hunger still exists and some things sound like they might be good, like swordfish, but the reality is I think if I ate three bites I would explode! Keep pushing bc you are almost there.

@@ShellMilliner I decided not to go out tonight, like you said. I'm SO close and the last thing I want to do is screw up and not be able to have surgery. My bad meals are in my past, and I have to accept that even it sucks at times!

Thanks for the advice!

Awesome choice!

It's been hard for me too. You are not alone! We're going to make it thru and come out smaller on the other side.

I'm on day 3 and do fine all day, it is from 6:30 on I am starving. I am allowed 3 shakes per day and 3 oz of lean meat and 1/2 cup green vegetables or 1/4 c cottage cheese. The one thing I noticed is that because I do not make my shakes with milk ( I use Water because I do not like milk) I am only consuming about 660 calories instead of 800. I wonder if I added some yogurt to the shakes as a milk replacement if it would be ok.

What about almond or coconut milk?

I'm on day 3 and do fine all day, it is from 6:30 on I am starving. I am allowed 3 shakes per day and 3 oz of lean meat and 1/2 cup green vegetables or 1/4 c cottage cheese. The one thing I noticed is that because I do not make my shakes with milk ( I use Water because I do not like milk) I am only consuming about 660 calories instead of 800. I wonder if I added some yogurt to the shakes as a milk replacement if it would be ok.

I have a $40 box of Optifast chicken Soup that the very thought of having almost makes me puke.

Sad thing is I can't stand the thought of wasting money so somewhere in my future this soup will get eaten. even if it is used to thicken up a family soup or something hehehe

I just had some delicious sf popsicles lmao

I am trying to make the best of out this.

I'd be freakin' excited if my pre-op diet included food,

My diet is all liquids. I mean a popsicle is a solid until it turns into a liquid, and sf Jello too....lol

V8 fills me up, so does warm broth. and I get 5 shakes a day. 8 oz shakes. 1 cup of 2% milk each, and I use Lactaid milk. I also have to put extra whey Protein powder in it.

I save my last 2 shakes for before bed, (I happen to love my SF Carnation Instant Essentials shakes {chocolate}). My belly is so full, I fall right to sleep. lmao That's how I do it.

@@TLW the reason for the milk, I was told, is that we need the fatty acids. That's why my Surgeon insists on 2% milk. So if you aren't getting that extra fat, you probably feel more hungry. Plus it's essential to have those fatty acids on such a low calorie diet that we are doing. I'd call, and ask rather than potentially hurt yourself and not get enough nutrition.

I know the restrictive calories has done a job on my head, can't think very clearly.

My nut was a lifesaver. She said I didn't have to do shakes but I had to do lean Protein and low low carbs. It saved me though because I hated the shakes and I could chew something. My liver looked great when surgery time came.

I will go get some almond milk and give it a try. Thanks