Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm considering going from a sleeve ( i have a leak) to a Bypass.

I've had a leak almost 9 months now. They have tried everything, sometimes more than once, I go to a large hospital in Seattle. I had a consult last week with a bariatric surgeon and after talking with him, I am really considering getting the "fix it surgery" or Bypass, because I am not healing and I have very little quality of life. But my gastro doc says "just be patient, i'm confident it will heal."

As of now I have a PICC line (3rd one) for food. I haven't eaten in a month in a half and the month before that only a few bites of Beans a few times. I am so hungry!!! Of course, my family has to eat so I have to smell food every night and I want to cry. I have a drain tube (the 3rd one) coming out my back. Have lost 2 jobs and was recently given one back, but is now rocky because I can get sick at any given time and they know that. I have went to work a few days then been hospitalized several times and back out for approx. 2 months at a time. I am in pain almost always, have been on pain meds almost every single day. I have been hospitalized probably 10 times ( 5 hours away from my family so no one is ever able to be there with me). The longest stay almost a month. I have to go back (5 hours one way) every couple of weeks and sometimes we have to borrow money for gas just to get there. I has ruined us financially. I do have insurance but I have racked up at least 350,000 dollars in hospital bills. There were months we could not afford dinner for our kids. I can't sleep but a few hours at a time. I try to work 3 days a week just to keep the lights on and food in the fridge, but its obviously very uncomfortable as I am a nurse and on my feet all day. I have very little family support, just my husband who has taken about 6 weeks of time off work to take me back and forth to Seattle (he worries about his job) . In fact, it has ruined several relationships in my family. My parents only live 10 miles away, young and healthy (at least my mom, my dad does have med prob), and they have not showed up one time to ask if I need help while my husband is gone 50 hours a week working. That hurts the worst. I could probably go on and on as you can imagine, but I want people to see how bad it has been for me going through this as I am sure many of you can relate.

I was told the bypass was an option from the beginning. But I did not want that, so I think I have been strong and held out for a long time before considering the fix it surgery, or Bypass. I just feel I cant do this much longer. And now my gastro doc wants me to go back to Seattle to have open surgery for a feeding tube in place of the picc line in a few weeks. So this is obviously far from over. This will be my second feeding tube.

The bariatric surgeon and his partner act like this is a good idea at this point. Yes, of course they say my chances of complication increase because its a fix it or revision surgery, at about 5%. They seem confident I can have a successful surgery and heal and be back on my feet in about a month.

I just need advice, comments, if you have done it and are you happy you did? I am afraid, and I have seen this story on this site where someone went through similar things and still had to have the bypass and of course, says don't go through this for too long because you may end up having to have it anyway. How is the bypass different in the way of eating and quality of life versus the sleeve. My gastro doc said it took one patient a year and a half to heal, but she did. Of course she was much older than me, but still I CANNOT IMAGINE LIVING LIKE THIS FOR 9 MORE MONTHS!!!!

Thank you so much, I really need the support and information on this big decision.

@losinghope15 I really can not offer advice but I empathize with you situation. I'm so very sorry you've had so many complications and have been enduring it for so long. You obviously are a very strong and independent person because you have continued to perceiver for you family. Have you gone to another doctor for a second opinion? I'm not a doctor nor a medical professional but after 9 months and all you have been through to say just be patient seems a bit non-chalant.

If you feel the revision is right for you then do it. It seems like you've done your research but again if it is within your means I would have a consult with a different doc just to see what they say.

For me personally....If I were going through all that and having the Bypass would fix it, I would revise to it as soon as they could schedule it.

I've lived for over 3 years with all sorts of issues. You can do this! :)

I was as sick as you for almost a year.they have told me the fix it is gastric bypass SURG with a bowel resection (?) I think that is correct.i don't want the bypass SURG either. Do yu mind sending me a message with your phone number? It would be easier to explain everything. Or we could talk on skype. My skype name is happydales2

Imam so sorry you arena ing so many issues . I was shocked at how I was really left on my own. My mom didn't think I was really sick.i lived in my bed for 9 months. Lost muscle mass and fell 6 times in my house because I didn't have the strength. It's a miracle I didn't break any bones falling.

Please contact me and we can talk privately.

Laurie

I'm revising from sleeve to bypass next week because of severe acid and bile reflux. I am over two years out and at my goal weight but my stomach is full of ulcers that could cause permanent damage, and that is with a large dose of nexium every day since surgery. So do what you feel is right. A lot of people get the sleeve because they specifically don't want the bypass but then some of us seem to end up with it anyway.

What does a leak feel like? Can you tell you have one physically?