Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brand new to this. I'm a career dieter since age 12 (now 55!) A year and a half ago I attended WL seminar and met with surgeon. I backed out out of fear, but thought about it frequently. By the way I have been on virtually every diet and commercial diet program in existance. Lose a little, gain a lot. That's the story.

After cycling once again through the maze of diet programs and pills in the last year and a half, I finally said STOP!! Now I am back to the surgery option and can't decide between lap band (sounds much more benign, fewer risks?) and gastric sleeve. I know about the commitment involved and I realize that these are both hard work and not quick fixes. I am afraid of either surgery but with 100+ to lose and many medical issues, (blood pressure, cholesteral, diabetes) I feel I have no choice. Any replies about how people made their decisions would be appreciated!

@@Shakti I had the sleeve due to the complications that could happen down the road with the lap band. I know many people who had the lap band, and had to have it revised to the gastric sleeve due to erosion, or other issues. (slippage, etc) I am super happy with my decision to have the sleeve. It is my new best friend, and I feel so awesome since my surgery. I am early on, but already have lost 35 pounds, and it is noticeable to me in how I feel and get around, as well as in my face, feet and ankles and how my clothes fit. I couldn't be happier with my sleeve. I am 53 in Kansas.

Research both carefully. Some surgeons don't even do the Lapband anymore though, because of the high rate of complications. I had lapband and was happy with it for years until it slipped on me. By the time I had it removed I had massive scar tissue and adhesions that had to be removed before my surgeon could do the revision to Sleeve. Everyone that was in my original Lapband group has had it removed now due to erosion, slippage, or just scar tissue build up. I personally wish I had just done the Sleeve to begin with.

Welcome!

I'm being sleeved in about 40 more days.

I didn't like all the problems that I read about with the lap-band. The scar tissue left behind by the lap-band can cause complications if converting to sleeve.

Good luck!

I think I am most fearful of the anesthesia (never had anything stronger than childbirth epidurals or 'twilight') But it seems one needs a general in both cases. My surgeon does both procedures and the decision is mine, but his staff did explain that the band procedure is becoming less common.

I am spending an inordinate amount on the internet researching this -

meeting with him again on Friday 5/22 and would love to feel more confident and have a clear picture by that time!

Girl get the sleeve. I've heard of more ppl revising to sleeve and bypass than those who've actually experienced success. Now those ppl do exist but in my experience is it's far and few between. But continue doing research til you're comfortable.

@@Shakti keep doing the research. I researched everything for a year......read everything I could. Talked with people on this site to get a good idea of what to expect. The surgeons do a ton of sleeves now days. My surgeon said....easy peasy! I had a very good experience. (again........so happy I did it!)

My surgeon doesn't do the lap band anymore, nor any of the surgeons in his practice. So my only options were sleeve or bypass. I chose bypass. It came down to two things for me: 1) Studies suggest the sleeve is less effective for women, and I wanted to maximize my potential weight loss; 2) I had pretty severe GERD before the surgery, and my doctor informed me the sleeve may make it worse, whereas the bypass may resolve it. I learned everything I could about each procedure and made the most educated decision I could for myself.

Perhaps ask yourself what complicating health issues are most important to you? What potential side effects are you and are you not prepared to deal with? I had a lengthy discussion with my surgeon about my concerns before making the decision.

There's no right answer here. You have to just be informed and make the decision that's best for you.

Best of luck!

@ I've never heard that :"Studies suggest the sleeve is less effective for women". Where did you hear that or read that? I googled it and couldn't find evidence that it was an accurate statement.

It was in information my surgeon provided me both at the WL seminar and during my consultations. He did say they weren't sure why. I don't have the specific study information to hand, but I'll see if I can find it.

Agree with definitely do your research...I am being sleeved on Friday. I chose the sleeve because I didn't want to deal with the absorptive issues of the bypass nor did I want a foreign body in me with the lap band. I also didn't want to do a lifetime of adjustments with the lapband.

My surgeon agreed with my reasoning and said that most cases the sleeve is appropriate and he feels I will do well with it. I have 100+ pounds to lose and I have lost 41 pounds going into surgery. I have no reason to think I won't be a success.

With regard to anything not being as effective for women? I think any of the three surgeries is a tool and only a small part of the story. For most it is a necessary tool and for varying reasons but it's your eating habits and the exercise you do once you are more mobile that make you a success or not. Just my opinion.

Good luck in your decision!!

I chose the sleeve because I did not want to re-route my digestive system for a bypass and did not want a port with the lap band. I am quite pleased with my sleeve. I take a PPI (Omemprozole) every day and have had no recurring issue with GERD.

For newbies who are concerned about their first surgery with anesthesia, just think of it as a nice little nap, and when you wake up you will have a new lease on life. Usually, when a nurse gets ready to put the needle in my arm, inevitably they will say something like, "You are going to feel a little prick." Many times, my response has been, "My ex-husband was a little prick.!" :D

Please bear in mind that I am a very happy and very successful bandit now 9 years post-op. I do not regret my band, would do it all over again and if I ever have to have it removed, I would hope to have a replacement.

When I was banded in 2006, it was a miracle surgery. And for some people, who accept that they will still have to work hard, it is just that. It was and still is for me. But over the years it has become clear that serious complications necessitating further surgery are much more common than originally thought, some of these are avoidable by careful eating and by not keeping the band tight; unfortunately others are beyond our control.

We used to be warned about band slips, leaks and about ( very rare) erosion into the stomach tissue but it turns out that a build up of scar tissue round the band (causing it to tighten) is quite common. It can be very difficult to get the right level of restriction and some people are tempted to keep it tight enough to physically limit food, in fact it was once thought this was how it should be. But this causes food to back up into the oesophagus and that risks problems such as oesophageal dysmotility which may be irreversible. It can also damage the vagus nerve.

Quite a number of doctors have stopped implanting bands as they found the removal rate was unacceptably high and it was too easy not to lose enough weight. Revision from band to sleeve is not uncommon!

We still need lots of will power. The band makes it easier by dimming hunger, but it does nothing for head hunger and, contrary to popular opinion, it does not and should not physically stop us eating. If it does it is too tight!

Having said all that, I love my band, I know many successful long term bandits in real life. My own experience has been good and so has that of almost all those I actually know and have met.

But don't rule out bypass. For many people the element of malabsorption is a key factor.

Please bear in mind that I am a very happy and very successful bandit now 9 years post-op. I do not regret my band, would do it all over again and if I ever have to have it removed, I would hope to have a replacement.

When I was banded in 2006, it was a miracle surgery. And for some people, who accept that they will still have to work hard, it is just that. It was and still is for me. But over the years it has become clear that serious complications necessitating further surgery are much more common than originally thought, some of these are avoidable by careful eating and by not keeping the band tight; unfortunately others are beyond our control.

We used to be warned about band slips, leaks and about ( very rare) erosion into the stomach tissue but it turns out that a build up of scar tissue round the band (causing it to tighten) is quite common. It can be very difficult to get the right level of restriction and some people are tempted to keep it tight enough to physically limit food, in fact it was once thought this was how it should be. But this causes food to back up into the oesophagus and that risks problems such as oesophageal dysmotility which may be irreversible. It can also damage the vagus nerve.

Quite a number of doctors have stopped implanting bands as they found the removal rate was unacceptably high and it was too easy not to lose enough weight. Revision from band to sleeve is not uncommon!

We still need lots of will power. The band makes it easier by dimming hunger, but it does nothing for head hunger and, contrary to popular opinion, it does not and should not physically stop us eating. If it does it is too tight!

Having said all that, I love my band, I know many successful long term bandits in real life. My own experience has been good and so has that of almost all those I actually know and have met.

But don't rule out bypass. For many people the element of malabsorption is a key factor.

Well said. I'm a bandit trying to have a revision to sleeve. That problem, the one with too much scar tissue built up around the band, is my issue. I've never felt restriction due to this issue. I would be stuck 7, 8, 9 times and the needle would come out bent as a "L" smh. Im so glad you were successful though.

The only advice I would give you is not to rule out anything without taking your personal health issues in consideration.

If you have Gerd or reflux at all you should be at least researching bypass as an option. Do NOT be afraid of the malabsorption. It is intended to help you lose that weight. As long as you take your Vitamins which by the way you will have to do with the sleeve and lap band as well, malabsorption will not be a problem.

Please make sure you look at all of your options, understand the pros and cons and then decide the best route for you.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey!