Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, I'm going to start the process and in about 2 weeks I have my first appointment and will try to schedule surgery (plication) for as early as July. Just wondering if anyone had to follow a pre-op diet and what it consisted of. I am currently 225lbs and my goal is to get back to my good old 130 lbs some time after surgery. Since I want to operate in July and will ask for a date that month, I was just wondering if I need to diet now.

Also, I LOVE coffee. Is coffee allowed after surgery (of course, after we heal completely?) Please say yes... lol

Edited by girlfrommars

I don't know specifically about gastric plication but across all the surgeries, there is a wide range! I had no pre-op diet at all. Others have really long, strict ones!

Same with coffee. I had no restriction at all. I am not sure how many people on here have gastric plication but I am sure someone will be more helpful!

Thanks! Will wait to hear from someone who had the plication... I'm sure there's a diet but would love to know some details, even if they're not all the same.

Hi. I had plication surgery on 9-2-14 in Mexico. LOVE IT! I've lost 60#s so far with 15 more to go. I'm not obsessive about loosing it all at once as my reason to have the surgery was more for health issues. I'm 63 and just 3 weeks ago I had a total right hip replacement. My surgery was so much easier due to the weight loss!

There is a pre-op diet that I followed. It was 2 weeks of Protein shakes and one light meal.....then a few days before it is all liquid to allow your stomach to be empty before surgery. I'm not sure who is doing your surgery but they will have info to share with you. Good luck????

My Gastric plication surgery is May 20, 2015. My 2-week diet diet consist of 3 Protein Shakes, all the green veggies I wanted and a lean 4 oz Protein. I never truly had the 3 protein shakes a day but I did my best. I only have I clear liquid diet day. Since I'm having plication, I can start my Protein Shake as soon after I get home from surgery. Sw 250 cw 240 and still on preop diet.

I had a ten day pre-op liquid diet consisting of five 12 ounce Protein shakes and all of the non-caloric fluids I could stand. I am not a coffee drinker, but there was no restriction pre or post op in my written instructions. I drink tea all day long, but it has to be Decaf. The first three days were the hardest, then I sailed though the rest knowing that the inconvenience was just temporary.

I'm on a 10 day liquid pre-op diet. 5 shakes a day (8 oz) with 4 grams of extra Protein in each shake.< /p>

Unlimited broth, sf popsicles, sf Jello, V8 juice, Decaf coffee and tea with artificial sweetener only, no Creamer.< /p>

Day 3 and I'm doing well. I feel a bit fuzzy headed, I think it's the extremely low calories, and my blood sugars keep dipping lower each day. The Dr. took me off one of my diabetic meds already. I'm on another oral med and 2 types of Insulin, so who knows, by the end of the 10 days I might be off even more meds! I believe, for myself this is a good test. If I can't do this, I have no business having surgery (that is just my own opinion and belief about myself) I don't want food to be a major focus anymore. It's something to nourish my body, and that's all I feel it should be. I know there are bigger reasons for this diet (to shrink my liver, so they have more room to work, inside me). But I welcome this time, before my surgery, to make sure my head is in the right place. That will be crucial in my opinion, to make this successful. I wish everyone success, and strength. This isn't easy...but it's going to be worth it!

I'm 240 lbs, type 2 diabetic and have hypertension. My doctor made me stop taking the metformin as well. I was feeling jittery when my sugar went extremely low. It was a scary feeling.H

I'm on a 10 day liquid pre-op diet. 5 shakes a day (8 oz) with 4 grams of extra Protein in each shake.

Unlimited broth, sf popsicles, sf Jello, V8 juice, Decaf coffee and tea with artificial sweetener only, no Creamer.< /p>

Day 3 and I'm doing well. I feel a bit fuzzy headed, I think it's the extremely low calories, and my blood sugars keep dipping lower each day. The Dr. took me off one of my diabetic meds already. I'm on another oral med and 2 types of Insulin, so who knows, by the end of the 10 days I might be off even more meds! I believe, for myself this is a good test. If I can't do this, I have no business having surgery (that is just my own opinion and belief about myself) I don't want food to be a major focus anymore. It's something to nourish my body, and that's all I feel it should be. I know there are bigger reasons for this diet (to shrink my liver, so they have more room to work, inside me). But I welcome this time, before my surgery, to make sure my head is in the right place. That will be crucial in my opinion, to make this successful. I wish everyone success, and strength. This isn't easy...but it's going to be worth it!

I had plication surgery on April 3. My pre op instructions were to follow a low fat diet to help shrink the liver, and then two days before surgery it was all liquids. I would definitely recommend following your physicians instructions closely as this will help you with long term success. Good luck to you, I am sure you are excited.

I am not a coffee drinker so I can't speak on that.

My Gastric plication surgery is May 20, 2015. My 2-week diet diet consist of 3 Protein shakes, all the green veggies I wanted and a lean 4 oz Protein. I never truly had the 3 Protein Shakes a day but I did my best. I only have I clear liquid diet day. Since I'm having plication, I can start my Protein shake as soon after I get home from surgery. Sw 250 cw 240 and still on preop diet.

How did it go Dana. Tell us all you can. There is less on here about plication so Im interested to know anyone's journey and success.

I had plication surgery on April 3. My pre op instructions were to follow a low fat diet to help shrink the liver, and then two days before surgery it was all liquids. I would definitely recommend following your physicians instructions closely as this will help you with long term success. Good luck to you, I am sure you are excited.

How are you getting on?

How are you getting on?

I just hit the 50 pound loss mark today. I feel great. My appetite is still greatly reduced, although I am able to eat more now that I am fully healed.