Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was told the same thing- you may want to check with your doc but I was told Tylenol only or extra strength Tylenol unless instructed by a doctor. However, I have had very few aches and pains and I expect the healthier I get the less things will hurt :D

On a side note- When I got the endoscopy before surgery, that doctor told me that when taking advil etc. I was supposed to have been taking an antacid with them...this is pre-surgery for anyone- I had no idea! I am beginning to think that I really took the health of my stomach for granted. So- fwiw- if you are ever instructed after this to take something other then Tyleonol you may also want to ask about taking an antacid with it.

I take tylenol unless the pain is really stubborn, which is rare. Then it's back to 2 ibuprofen. No problems but I am careful not to overdo this.

Edited by JCP

My surgeon OK'd NSAIDS as long as you take a PPI or antacid if you are taking more than 1 day. In fact, he sends all patients home with sublingual NSAIDS immediately postop. I have taken an occasional Advil and even a three week course of prednisone (which is just as ulcerative-causing as NSAIDS) since surgery with no problems. I took Omeprazole and sucralfate while on the pred.

That being said, I take traumeel (a natural pain reliever) for the little aches and pains, Advil or Aleve for the next level, and am a fan of tramadol for the heavy duty pains.

Tylenol mostly. I was also

prescribed Tramadol which is not an NSAID.

I need to revise this: according to my Drs. Visit today, the don't allow Tramadol in the first six weeks, so if you are in that timeframe you may want to stick with Tylenol.

Tylenol mostly. I was also

prescribed Tramadol which is not an NSAID.

I need to revise this: according to my Drs. Visit today, the don't allow Tramadol in the first six weeks, so if you are in that timeframe you may want to stick with Tylenol.

I was sent home from surgery with tramadol, works great for me. I also use Tylenol once in a great while for sinus pain.

It's strange. Everyone seems to say no NSAIDs ever. I currently have the band, but working to convert to sleeve and I specifically asked my surgeon and he said that rules only for bypass patients.

I was also given tramadol for post op pain relief.

My doctor is no NSAID forever after the sleeve. However he is letting me take the lower dose of Celebrex since the COX-2 inhibitors have lower GI issues that most NSAIDS. I can also use Tyelnol.

In the past I have successfully used subligual Arnica for minor aches and pains. If it is arthritis of a particular joint you may consider getting topical Voltaren. It is OTC in Canada and RX in the US. But check with your surgeon before using.

I finally discussed this with my Dr. And he said that the no NSAIDS forever rule is for the bypass patients. After 4 months I can take them sparingly. What a relief!

I called my doctor yesterday. I have inflammation in one of my joints and was told that I can take an NSAID but for no more than a few days and I must take with the Omeprazole.

I find all of this interesting. I take Dicoflenac/Voltaren everyday along with a Prilosec. My surgeon had no problem with the Diclofenac, he just added the prilosec.