Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Compression garment vs Binder

I am 3 weeks post op from a breast lift and Tummy Tuck. My recovery has been great with no complications. Today the doctor said I could wear Spanx (compression garment). How do people make decisions on which one to use. I must say I tire and want to lay down quickly when I don't wear my binder. Quick tip for swelling I did take Bromelain and Vitamin C and I really think it helped with the swelling and recovery.

I am 3 weeks post op from a breast lift and Tummy Tuck. My recovery has been great with no complications. Today the doctor said I could wear Spanx (compression garment). How do people make decisions on which one to use. I must say I tire and want to lay down quickly when I don't wear my binder. Quick tip for swelling I did take Bromelain and Vitamin C and I really think it helped with the swelling and recovery.

I've had some complications and have been wearing spanks knockoffs 24/7 for over 4 months now, and I don't want to think about how much money I've spent on them! They aren't designed for that kind of wear, and they stretch out. It's frustrating. I'm sorry that I don't have a better suggestion though

I am getting ready for plastics myself in just a few weeks. I read a lot of women wear compression fitness leggings, from brands like Under Armour, Nike, or other cheaper brands. I personally own about 6 pair of the under armour ones (they range from $30-$60, and I tend to buy the $30 ones; however, you can get the more expensive ones for less on the outlet site). I buy them a size smaller because I do not want my extra skin wobbling about when I work out, so I think they will be a perfect fit post surgery. My doctor said that those types of compression leggings are perfectly fine. Oh, and the Under Armour ones do not stretch out! Trust me, because I really have to stretch those suckers to get my thighs into them (a problem my plastics should reslove quite soon!).

I would always go for a compression garment - I wore mine 24/7 for 12 weeks only removing for showering etc and it wore so

well not stretching out etc. It was from design veronique

http://www.designveronique.com/

They are not the cheapest - But it lasted well and was like my protector through those weeks - So much so that I kinda felt I wanted to keep wearing it, lol I felt safe and secure in it

Edited by Scamp

I had the same procedure as you and I opted to wear a compression garment the full time instead of the binder because my binder tended to roll up when I slept. I used the Marena products which you can get on Amazon. The link below is the one that I used. It feels very tight and snug and keeps everything where it is supposed to be. Also, I used it over the course of three different plastics surgeries and it's been washed probably 100 times by now if not more and it is still in perfect condition. I bought two so I could wear one while the other was in the laundry. Compression garments are a pain in the butt, but they make you feel better. I am 7 weeks out from my last plastics surgery (posterior body lift) and I just started wearing my garment again this week because for some reason my butt and back decided to swell up all over again. It feels very nice to be all compressed again. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Marena-Womens-Stage-Compression-Girdle/dp/B00LAJ577G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_193_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=03B6XCRAZ9TX64S59W5R

Also, I bought some standard Spanx-like shorts from Walmart that extended from my thighs to just below my bra line. I wore them periodically, but I preferred the compression garment just because it felt so much tighter and it didn't roll down at all. You don't need to get a specific brand, just find one that feels nice and tight yet still lets you breathe and that should do the trick.

Checkout amaxon i found a few nice pieces there, very reasonable prices.

Can one of you lovely ladies explain to me the purpose of wearing these garments? Is it just to prevent swelling post surgery? I have always been anti-spanx as I found them horribly uncomfortable. The thought of wearing one of these garments is the part I dread the most about having a tummy -tuck! What do you wear over them? Can you wear jeans? I live in my jeans! Lol. First world problems, I know. ????

Edited by Bluesea71

Yes generally thsts what their gor but i also went tu o f ollar general &purchased $ome camisole/bra type compression tops w / out wires for only $10 each & like them much better

Edited by counrtygirl

Can one of you lovely ladies explain to me the purpose of wearing these garments? Is it just to prevent swelling post surgery? I have always been anti-spanx as I found them horribly uncomfortable. The thought of wearing one of these garments is the part I dread the most about having a tummy -tuck! What do you wear over them? Can you wear jeans? I live in my jeans! Lol. First world problems, I know. ????

Theoretically you are wearing the garment to put pressure on the abdomen so that Fluid is less likely to collect there, and so the abdominal wall will more quickly adhere to the underlying structures. I don't really quite buy in to that logic, and don't feel the shapers have helped me in the least, but I keep wearing them, just in case they might help, even the littlest bit!