Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Pain Level - From a Guys Perspective?

My insurance covers it with a BMI of 40 or higher.

or

BMI of 35 or higher with one or more comorbidities.

I've got moderate High BP, and severe sleep apnea, so my BMI of 39 is within range.

I had my sleeve gastrectomy on Dec 12, and three days later went back and worked a full day, I felt so good.

Speaking for myself, the pain was about a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10. My vasectomy was worse, and the recuperation from that was worse also.

Pain just shouldn't be a factor in deciding whether or not you want the surgery. If you need it, you'll get it.

But again, while not all experiences are the same, mine was very nearly a breeze.

Pain is avery individual experience and we all have different pain tolerances so all I can tell you was that my pain was very low. I credit some of that from all my hard work pre-op. Get on a walking system NOW, it is key to early success. In my humble opinion.. Just go for it....its time to be healthy....

For me, the incisional pain was there, but not a big deal. It did make getting up out of / into bed hard, but was manageable.

The majority of my pain was in my shoulder, referred pain from my diaphragm and a sizable hiatal hernia repair.

I stopped taking the narcotic immediately on getting home (every time I tried I almost vomited and had excruciating pain with it - said screw that and threw it away). I used Tylenol liquid for a few days then stopped that.

I was on the treadmill on the second day after surgery (surgery was on a Monday) and able to do pretty much anything on Saturday.

Didn't hurt at all. Though I did make the mistake of shaving myself the night before surgery. I was only warned about the shaving the day of surgery.That gave me a case of itchy folliculitis after surgery.

I have a bottle of pain meds I didn't have to use. It must be different for everyone cause all the ladies have told me they were miserable. Followed the nurses instructions to the letter and walked off the CO2 gas they inflate your belly with. So I didn't have the fake heart attack or chest pains people so often get after bariatric surgery. The two people my surgeon operated on before me didn't seem to want to get out of bed and kept buzzing the poor nurses. I only got pain meds twice because the nurses noticed that they had skipped my Heparin blood thinner shots.

So if you behave yourself and follow the nurses instructions, they will let you out within 24 hours for good behavior. Otherwise you will have to stay an extra day listening to IV alarms and people whining.

The doctors who popped their heads in to say hello told me the surgery went perfectly...I am now waiting to see their drive-by bills. :D

No pain problems at all. Didn't need anything for pain after the drain tube was out. I was up and walking within minutes of waking up.