Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 Weeks Post-Op Plastics- New Swelling? Also, Wound Separation? ARGH.

So, I am 7 weeks post-op for a posterior body lift with auto augment and thigh lift, and while the thighs are fine, yesterday I woke up to feeling like the right side of my butt was bruised. Today I woke up and I look like a sausage...my back is all swollen again and I am about as sore as I was a week after surgery. Did this happen to anyone else? I don't remember major swelling this far out from my other procedures, so I'm a little frustrated now.

Also, as a note, the medial part of my incision ripped open just before 2 weeks post-op so for the last 5 weeks I've had a hole in my back. My doctor resutured it two weeks ago and part of it separated again within a few days. The new plan was to resuture it again, however he told me yesterday he thinks it is better to just let it heal without trying to excise and resuture. So, while he may be right, I now have to deal with a dripping, goopy hole in the center of my back for even longer. I could sob...ok I did sob, a lot and I tried not to have a total meltdown on the doctor, since realistically it isn't his fault. I live at the beach and I started my plastics procedures last August so that the first time since I have lived by the ocean I could actually go out and enjoy it. I could surf, and swim, and lay out, like a normal person instead of someone who was too disgusting to be seen in public. Now, I'm not fat anymore but I have a hole in my back which prevents me from doing anything that might get anything into the wound. Forgive the pity party, but I'm really like...so World, you make me miserable being fat for the last two years and now when I've worked my butt off, I get to have another summer completely ruined by being stuck inside. I will stop crying now, lol.

As a note, the wound isn't infected. I've been careful with it and I have a medical background, so the swelling isn't the result of an infection. I haven't done anything out of the norm physically. I've walked 3-6 miles a day everyday for the last 5 weeks and that didn't cause any major swelling so it shouldn't be contributory now. So...for those of you who have had plastics, have you had major swelling at 7 weeks post-op?

Thank you all for your thoughts! :)

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. The good news is that people have wound openings always heal on up and seem to have no worse scarring or any other ill effects... eventually!

I had MAJOR reconstructive plastics all at once and no I didn't have a resurgance in swelling 7 weeks out.

We all heal differently, and i know Dr Sauceda told me I "healed slow" but I like to think I may have healed slow, but i healed good. I took it really easy for a prolonged period of time as I believe, based on the Dr S Facebook group that people who do more early have more problems with recovery. Basically, I was even more conservative then the docs orders but I watched many others absolutely flaunt his advice - some healed fine and others had complications.

I did note that at about 12 weeks out when I went skiing I swelled up. I switched to stage 2 garments for the lower body and wore them anytime i did any intense activity (horseback riding, skiing, working out) for several MONTHS post op. The doctor didn't order that, I just learned about it from those who had gone before me... it helped reduce swelling and it made me feel more secure too.

hang in there... you still have a whole summer ahead!

BTW, you do know that you are supposed to keep your scars out of the sun for two full years?

@CowgirlJane Thank-you for your thoughts! I didn't think about wearing my compression garments again, but that is a good idea. I was a little concerned about the swelling so I did ask my doctor and he told me he wasn't at all worried about it, but I'm like...well, I'm worried about it. I also ate a lot of sodium on Sunday, so I'm hoping maybe that was contributory to it. Ideally, if I take it easy the next few days, go back to compression, and drink more fluids, hopefully whatever caused it will work out. My midsection currently looks like a barrel.

All of my scars except my arms are hidden by my bathing suit, so they shouldn't get any direct sunlight and the few times I've been outside I've slathered the scars up with BioCorneum which has the SPF 30 in it. Hopefully that prevents any issues.

Thanks again! :)

I have had swelling on and off in various locations since surgery. Depends a lot on what I've been eating. If I eat too much sodium, or just too much in general, my lower abdomen and back will swell. It's getting better over time. I also have swelling in my left leg since I had all the trouble with that seroma. I saw my plastic surgeon today and she said swelling can take up to a year or two to totally resolve.

I also had a spot on my back side from my lower body lift that separated. It was about 2-3 inches in length, and it was about an inch separated. My doc never sutured it, and it healed from the inside out. I had to keep wound gel on it and dress it twice daily. It was never infected, either. It took about 4 months to totally heal. But, it did heal. The scar there is wide and red, but it's on my backside and hidden by underwear, so I don't really care all that much.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I do absolutely know how miserable and long the healing process can take! It will get better, just hang in there!

I'm not sure what could be causing the edema either, but compression garments sound like a good idea. I had the same deep posterior opening that you are describing, and needed sutures as well. It took its sweet time, but it did close up. I can feel this hard scar tissue in its place though, which is disturbing. My surgeon says it will eventually soften up, but I don't see how. I hope the garments are the ticket for you, and know that you are not alone with the occasional pity parties for one. These complications simply can't last forever, they have to resolve. And then we will be left with an end product that we will appreciate more than ever for the effort taken to make it happen!

@@MichiganChic

I feel better knowing that you had swelling for awhile afterward especially since it is sometimes caused by sodium. I had a ton of sodium on Sunday and I woke up that next morning miserable. I feel like half my butt is more swollen than the other half which also makes me paranoid, not to mention my upper back. Hopefully flushing out the sodium helps.

Were you able to workout with the open wound? I would really like to go back to the gym, but I'm worried that it will ooze through all of the bandages and that would be so embarrassing. I think I will cry if it takes 4 months to heal. My surgeon said, oh it should be cleared up in 2-3 weeks and I really think he's massively wrong. I have never seen a wound this deep and wide (roughly the same size as yours) heal that quickly. Mine is also hidden by underwear so I'm less concerned about the scar and more concerned about the fact that I can't really go anywhere or do anything because I might bust a leak.

@@AvaFern I didn't work out at all until about the last month. I was sporadic about it before plastics, so I didn't mind much ;) I'm sure I probably could have after about 2 months because by then it was just very superficial, but still a decent size area. I still can't believe how long that took to heal! It is still thinner skin, and a little rough, like there is still a very superficial scab. I got very tired of keeping dressings on it. I certainly couldn't swim, and I wouldn't have gone to the beach. Hopefully yours will heal much, much faster!