Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BPD and DS after lap removal due to erosion

Has anybody here had DS surgery after having their lap removed due to erosion, because of the scarring the erosion caused my surgeon has advised me that this is the best option for me and after a lot of research I agree . I'm just wondering what experiences good or bad others have had and also can you lose too much weight and if so how do you stop that ?

There are many here that talk about DS surgery, I'm sure some will share their experiences....

As far as loosing too much weight...the goal is to loose body fat.....and maintain muscle and other important stuff.

This can vary from person to person....one person can be very muscular, and according to BMI's they would be classified as overweight or borderline obese...but their body fat % is very low and they would be very healthy with a high BMI....the opposite is true...one can loose weight, have a "Normal" BMI, and still be very unhealthy and have associated health risks as someone who is obese because their weight is comprised of too much fat.

People throw around #'s in pounds only....setting goals at certain weights....I want to weigh this much, etc, etc.,....and that, in itself, is wrong. The goal should be to rid the body of fat and not make weight the primary target.

According to BMI's I am still 20 lbs over weight....but my body fat % is low...very low in the "Athletic" range....if I was to loose that additional 20 lbs, or any more weight for that matter, it would be very unhealthy....it would not be fat I'm loosing. THAT would be true starvation....

It is important to get the required Protein every day, and to exercise regularly to maintain body muscle....and concentrate on getting rid of the fat...let the weight fall where it will.....

Thank you for the reply B52 that does make sense ...I intend to continue to work out I just don't won't to lose so much weight that I look gaunt but I guess my Protein intake would help with that ..,,

There is a forum on Obesity help dedicated to the DS. It seems to me there are a lot more "long timers" there. I personally hate that forum, but it might be worth a quick cruise to check it out.

what I am excited about are the new approaches to DS which reduce some of the nutrient deficiency risks that the traditional procedure had.

I am curious why he thinks that the DS is a better option over sleeve or bypass? DS includes a sleeve (usually a larger one) and does tend to have statistically better weight loss over sleeve. It is my personal backup plan should this sleeve not continue to work for me (3.5 years since my band to sleeve revision and still going strong!)

Hi,

If you find yourself losing too much weight, your surgeon would most likely put you on an enzyme like Creon. You also might up your carbs as well.

Has anybody here had DS surgery after having their lap removed due to erosion, because of the scarring the erosion caused my surgeon has advised me that this is the best option for me and after a lot of research I agree . I'm just wondering what experiences good or bad others have had and also can you lose too much weight and if so how do you stop that ?

In response to Cowgirl Jane's question my team of surgeons decided that the DS was the better option as I have a lot of scarring on my actual stomach due to the lap band erosion and apparently a sleeve would've been more risky as the scars may cause leakage where as with the DS they can cut it away from the scars .

Hey Gopheritgirl,

You will do fine. The key to success with the DS is to get your Vitamins in order, then it is Protein, Protein, protein and Water, Water, water. That site is dedicated to the DS and you will get lots of good advice from veterans there. In the meantime, remember that you have to be dilligent about your labs and stick to your Vitamin regimen.

Hey Gopheritgirl,

You will do fine. The key to success with the DS is to get your Vitamins in order, then it is Protein, Protein, protein and Water, Water, water. That site is dedicated to the DS and you will get lots of good advice from veterans there. In the meantime, remember that you have to be dilligent about your labs and stick to your Vitamin regimen.

Hey Gopheritgirl,

You will do fine. The key to success with the DS is to get your Vitamins in order, then it is protein, protein, protein and water, water, water. That site is dedicated to the DS and you will get lots of good advice from veterans there. In the meantime, remember that you have to be dilligent about your labs and stick to your Vitamin regimen.

Four days to go till my surgery I've been on Optifast for the last

four weeks and have lost 10 kgs (22lbs) I'm nervous and excited at the same time ..., can anybody share how long they were in surgery and in hospital for ?

I was in the hospital for 5 days. It was supposed to be 4, but I ran a slight fever. The surgery took 4.5 hours, which was pretty normal. It was a straight DS. No GB or appendix removal.

Best of luck. You're about to join us on the Dark Side.