Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unknown Nausea and Dry Heaving - HELP!

I am about 8 weeks post of from VSG, and within the last 3 weeks have developed this gnawing pain, which brings about unbearable nausea and gagging, with the occasional dry heaving. When I do dry heave, I only bring up saliva, and small amounts of bright red blood. My GE doctor seems stumped, as he's not an expert in any sense with VSG surgeries. Has anyone else experienced this? I can't live like this. I go for an endoscopy tomorrow, and have already completed an Upper GI with no visible issues.

I'm sorry to hear this. I have had complications from the start of my sleeve so I don't know if my experiences would help you. When I had nausea and throwing up (mostly saliva) it was when I had a stent in to help heal my leak. My only advise is if you have any sign of a fever let your doc know asap. I had several Upper Gi's and were told they looked great and my leak had healed only to get sick and hospitalized a few days later. I'm not at all saying you have a leak, just that a leak can be hard to see even with an Upper GI. When I started getting sick a few days after my surgery I had a fever and pain. I went to the ER and my blood work showed my white blood cells very elevated. So please be very diligent in that if you start having those symptoms get help right away. The ER docs know very little about these surgeries and complications from it. I usually teach them about it because unfortunately, I have been in the ER probably at least 10 times with complications from my leak. Are you calling the surgeon who did your surgery? Good luck and hopefully this will soon pass. Keep us posted.

****UPDATE****

After an Endoscopy, my doctor noted that after 9 weeks post op, there were still at least 3 sutures visible INSIDE my stomach. After consulting a bariatric surgeon he was told that those should definitely not be there. So I go to see that surgeon tomorrow to follow up with him and hopefully he will have some answers. If I'm lucky, removing the sutures could solve the issue of dry heaving and nausea. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Wow...you described exactly what happened to me night before last - including the bright red blood and pain. I had my vertical sleeve surg on 4/16/15 - I also had hiatal hernia surgery which was more complicated than anticipated. I have been dealing with the nausea/vomiting off and on since surg. I saw my surgeon and he was not concerned with the blood saying that I probably ruptured a small blood vessel in my throat from gagging and I have no other symptoms of a leak. I am still not convinced and am truly worried. Please keep us updated and wishing you the best of health.

Have you had any issues with allergies or post nasal drip? I get nauseous from night time sinus drainage, with dry heaves when I brush my teeth, and I haven't had surgery yet! My NUT and NP recommend OTC sinus meds to dry them out before bed. FWIW.