Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shakes - What brands are best bang for the buck on a budget, and taste good too?

Hi Bariatric Pals - Can any of you recommend some budget friendly Protein shake brands that taste good but will give me the best bang for my buck? I've tried and like the Premier Protein shakes (available at costco & some Walmart's), but I am wondering if anyone has been able to find a good tasting Protein Shake or powder mix that is a little more cost effective? I need to be able to afford it but I also need to be able to choke it down, I haven't been liking most of the powdered mixes I've been trying. I appreciate your suggestions and sharing what has been your favorite Protein Shakes for the best prices???

Many Thanks & Warm Hugs! :rolleyes:

I love Premier and Atkins has a Mocha Latte shake that is delicious!! Especially if you like iced coffee or Frappucino's

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury. It has 100% Protein isolate, the most absorbable. I suggest you look for this on the label.

Body tech @ the Vitamin shop is pretty decent and they're usually on sale buy one get one free. I've tried vanilla, chocolate,banana and Cookies n cream the last one being my least favorite.

My favorite is unflavored Protein Powder, added to Water, with the addition of water-enhancer drops. You can adjust the sweetness/strength by the number of drops you use. I get my powder from Amazon.com (check ALL prices, they really vary!!). I find this to be very economical, and if you need more Protein, just add more! Mix the flavor drops for your own favorite combo!

I prefer unflavored Protein powder as well. I used Isopure unflavored. I don't always want a shake and I can mix this with coffee or soup/broth. When mixing with hot things I find it better to dissolved the powder separately and then add in off the heat.

Thank you all for the recommendations! @@CanyonBaby, @@BLERDgirl and anyone else using unflavored Protein powder, does the unflavored still have that powdered Protein taste in whatever you add it to? That has been my problem with the powdered shake mixes is the odd powdery/protein flavor. Very curious.

Please keep the comments & suggestions coming! :D

Edited by Hugs :)

I think it depends on what you are mixing it with. It mixes really well with cold beverages. In coffee it takes the place of Creamer to me. In Soup there is an ever so slight change in consistency, which is why it's helpful to to premix it separately and temper it into the hot food.< /p>

Hi hugs...on the bottom of page for bariact pal there is a sponser insure nutrition. I get my premier shakes from them my insurance covers it and they ship to me every month.you fill out a form they will get back to you if they except they will send your doctor a script the doctor signs script and fax back.you can get scar cream and Vitamin s too.

Unflavored means there is no flavor ADDED, but there IS a flavor in unflavored Protein powder. Creamer-like is correct in my opinion, but pleasant-enough, and blends well with other things, taste-wise.

Hi again - I just wanted to add the info. I was emailed by the doctor regarding the Insure program for anyone interested...

"I have checked with some insurance experts and have confirmed that InsureNation is a total scam and practicing illegally. InsureNation is a call center with a licensed compound pharmacy behind it.
1. they bill the insurance for a ridiculously expensive cream
2. they give false billing codes to try to get the Protein covered. They are using a code designed for enteral nutrition (tube feeding).
3. They do not balance bill the patient, which is fraudulent.
The company makes the physician complicit by sending a fax prescription to the physicians office. They are counting on the busy physician just signing it since it appears benign.
I strongly recommend avoiding contact with this company."
He also included a link to another forum with more info. on this scam... http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/93997-i-received-my-free-protein-vitamins-and-scar-cream-today/
What a bummer!!! :(
Also, has anyone tried the Syntrax nectar Protein powder? How's the taste & where are you finding it to purchase?
Thanks Pals!!! :D

@@deedee19625 thank you for the suggestion and I had already checked out the Insure program and applied. I was very excited at the idea that insurance would cover the cost of the Protein shakes, however, when I brought this up to my bariatric team, the doctor did some investigating and discovered this is largely a scam to the insurance companies. They draw you in with the Protein Shakes (since we need them), they offer the Premier brand, which is available at costco, Walmart & other stores & does not need a prescription but then they offer you this scar cream & Vitamins & who wouldn't want that if we can have it covered by insurance? According to the doctor, where the scam comes in is with the "scar cream" which does require a prescription and the company charges the insurance companies ridiculously astronomical fees (like in the thousands) for the same cream that is available (I think under a generic or different name) for an EXTREMELY FAR lower price. For this reason, my doctor will not agree to writing any prescriptions to this company. I am glad it is working out for you but is a total bummer that companies are doing this and many doctors writing the prescriptions never even know. I just happened to bring it up to a doctor who was diligent enough to investigate because they had never heard of the program or company before. What a disappointment though!

I appreciate the thought though!!! Thanks for writing!

I am curious if anyone else here has had any experience with the Insure program?

Body tech @ the Vitamin shop is pretty decent and they're usually on sale buy one get one free. I've tried vanilla,chocolate,banana and Cookies n cream the last one being my least favorite.

Thanks for this info. I'm not quite a year out and thought I was done with shakes, but I'm starting back to college this summer and there aren't healthy options (for the most part) on campus so on my long days I'll need a shake. I bought a tub from GNC and it tastes great but this brand looks a bit cheaper with more Protein to boot!