Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back to work after surgery...

And having a hard time with the "welcome back, where have you been?!" And the "you've lost weight haven't you?" Remarks. Mostly I just smile say thanks and scurry off. Glad I wore sweats LOL

Anybody else horrible with weight loss comments? I always have been, I feel like such a jerk but compliments legitimately make me uncomfortable haha.

Settle in for the long haul and more compliments to come :) The compliments are going to continue...... @Bashlee.

A long time ago, when someone complimented me on anything, I learned just to say "thank you" and nothing else. I was in the habit of following "thank you" with some comment that basically discounted their compliment. A friend called me on the carpet about it and so I started changing my response to a simple "thank you." Now, if someone asks specifically about my weight loss, I'm happy to share my experience with them; if not, I don't offer any explanation.

Usually compliments are given by those who truly care. You can give an enormous smile and say your thanks, showing that you are pleased by their attention. You don't have to do anymore, until you are comfortable. You can do the same to those who aren't sincere (and we ALL know THOSE types), just make that smile even BIGGER!!! Remember, this is a whole heck-of-a-lot of awesomeness you just did, and you should show your pride in it!!!

And having a hard time with the "welcome back, where have you been?!" And the "you've lost weight haven't you?" Remarks. Mostly I just smile say thanks and scurry off. Glad I wore sweats LOL

Anybody else horrible with weight loss comments? I always have been, I feel like such a jerk but compliments legitimately make me uncomfortable haha.

Loosing weight I've noticed people compliment how beautiful I am now. I went to my lung doctor for a check up and everyone was so nice to me and complimented me on how amazing I looked and how beautiful I am. My dermatologist even said I was beautiful and he said I should learn to thank people when they complement me it's all so new to me but also I can't help but feel like crap. Was I ugly before?

I usually go with. "Yes thanks for noticing". If they ask questions I will answer or not. My choice.

Edited by jacileggs

Loosing weight I've noticed people compliment how beautiful I am now. I went to my lung doctor for a check up and everyone was so nice to me and complimented me on how amazing I looked and how beautiful I am. My dermatologist even said I was beautiful and he said I should learn to thank people when they complement me it's all so new to me but also I can't help but feel like crap. Was I ugly before?

Right?! LOL it makes me so self conscious. I am extremely proud of myself and happy with my progress. I just hate feeling so noticeable for it. I guess it's just gonna take me some time to feel comfortable with it.

I kept my surgery from no one. I have been deeply criticized, complimented, supported and then the "you're brave" comments. I am ok with all of those, but it's the questions about how much weight I've lost, or what I want to lose, or even the discussion about clothes size.

you got this your going to be ok just tell them the truth your eating healthier and exercising which is not a lie congrats on your weight lost surgery.

I kept my surgery from no one. I have been deeply criticized, complimented, supported and then the "you're brave" comments. I am ok with all of those, but it's the questions about how much weight I've lost, or what I want to lose, or even the discussion about clothes size.

My bosses know and three of my co-workers that I'm very close to know. It isn't a secret, if someone asks me about it I'm okay with sharing. I've been finding it really empowering to share. Mostly I just feel really on display right now LOL it makes me a touch uncomfortable, it isn't something I'm used to unless I put myself in the position to be noticed.