Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I made it through and I can honestly say that I worried for nothing.

• Arrived at Surgical Center on May 1st at 5am (surgery was for 7am and didn't need to arrive until 6am;-))
  • SSM St Louis Surgical staff was awesome and made me so comfortable.
  • Completed remaining paperwork and was called in to get ready within 10 minutes.
  • Met each personnel that was going to be in the surgery room and they explained what role they were playing in my surgery.
  • I had an excellent nurse - can't remember her name but she knows who she is - Top Nurse of the Year Award to her.
  • My husband came into prep room once I was hooked up - so good to have support and a loving spouse.
  • Dr.Darin Minkin and Dr. David (assisting physician) came in and explained what they were going to do again and gave me reassurance. I've also asked that the band not be placed too tight and to PLEASE get as much gas out as possible.......oh, and I did apologize ahead of time in case I snored or snorted on them...Lol
  • Two anesthesiologist came in and started explaining what they were going to do.
  • I smiled at my husband and that's all that I remember until I woke up 1 hour later.
  • During surgery, Dr. noticed that my stomach had started moving up closer to my esophagus so he slid it down and thinned it out. Found out this is why I had acid reflex.....go figure.
  • Came out of surgery with no issues. Felt really good from the meds, walked a little and then went home within 45 minutes later.

Home Arrival

• Was a little nauseous from the ride home - dry heaved but that was it.
  • Made it to my bed, took a pill for nauseous, pain med, GasX strip and ate a few ice chips (throat a little sore). Went to sleep
  • Husband got me up every 2 hours and I walked around the house for a few moments and took deep breaths - this really got rid of the gas build up in my stomach and chest/shoulder pain quickly.
  • Lots of Fluid in my bladder so had to go to the bathroom quite a few times but it relieved the pressure on my stomach immensely.
  • Very little soreness around the surgery area (5 cuts) - they used dissolvable stitches and a type of glue to seal them. I do not need to remove stitches or tape - oh happy day!
  • I've been resting, resting, resting. Didn't realize how much it takes out of you. Was watching tv and next thing you know the show is over and I'm chilling with the remote in my hand.
  • Drank a little Protein, ice chips and had a little Jello - (2 tablespoons altogether) no problems

Cannot stress it enough about getting up and walking around for a few moments (might be a little painful to roll out of bed) every few hours.

Now on to Day 2.......

you did a good job. try and push the liquids a little more. we do get dehydrated fast and this can cause nausea and general not feeling well. popsicles are great during your first couple of days. but it sounds like you are on top of things. good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Congratulations -– and May Day is such a perfect day for this gift to yourself. I love my band and I love how I've gotten my life back. Here's to a wonderful summer ahead!

Welcome to your new life. It's wonderful. Congratulations !!