Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

drink Soda after surgery?

Does anyone drink soda after surgery? If so, how long did you wait?

Don't drink soda, it's bad mmmkay!

Seriously soda or any "sparkling drinks" are not recommended to drink post-op. The carbonation will fill you sleeve and will take away room from valuable nutrition, also it could cause your sleeve to stretch. There will be some on here that still indulge in them but as a rule you should stay away from carbonation for at least a year if not more.

Empty calories... I don't do it.

No soda on my diet ever again. Causes to much gas and burping or what have ya. I got fatter and fatter on diet coke over the yrs and the chemicals made me crave more and more food. Regular is and was a no no for me empty calories ton of sugar.

Ouch! It hurts for me to drink soda post surgery. Even a tiny bit. My days of drinking it are long gone. I actually don't even crave it anymore. It tastes like carbonation Water to me.

I haven't had surgery yet and I am not a soda drinker, but I am going to miss my sparkling waters and San pellegrinos!

I'm about 5 weeks post op and was a diet coke lover. I drank at least a 6 pack a day pre op. I don't miss, I don't want, I can't have, but have no desire for it.

Two or three moths post-op, I started occasionally drinking diet soda. Hasn't hurt me or slowed weight loss. If you do it, I'd do in moderation and listen to your body.

I tried a lil once... tasted good!!! But hurt like hell!! I decided NEVER again!!! Besides if I drank them and got used to them I would want them all the time!!!

Don't go there..

I'm almost 1 year out, used to live on diet doctor pepper, haven't wanted or had even 1 sip of carbonation .. Not worth it

Soda, diet or otherwise, is incredibly unhealthy for you. Look at the ingredients. I don't even know what half of those chemicals are. I have seen soda take paint off of cars so, while I used to love it, I stopped drinking it as part of getting ready for surgery.

Carbonation will NOT stretch your sleeve. It's AIR. Just like too much Water will not stretch your sleeve or eating broccoli, Beans or cabbage (all of which cause GAS) will not stretch your sleeve, air bubbles from a drink will NOT stretch your sleeve. It's a scare tactic, people.

Sleeves that are done correctly will not stretch. They will relax over time. They will give a little over time. Excessive overstuffing it will "stretch" the leftover fundus over time, but your stomach should never stretch out to even 1/4 of what it was pre-op and it certainly won't do it because of a liquid, even one with bubbles.

Carbonation will cause discomfort and lots of burping if you are lucky. In fact, it will cause me to hurl if I drink it too close to a meal. It can be hateful.

Follow your doctor's orders. If he doesn't allow it, don't drink it. Mine allows it. I drink it. I have to drink it poured over ice with some of the carbonation stirred out, but not flat by any means. If I drink it out of the bottle, I am ginormously uncomfortable until I burp and even then, I feel urpy.

I am two years out. I waited to drink it until I I was told I could and I only drink diet or SF. I'm not dead yet, I am at goal and have maintained it for over a year. It doesn't make me crave anything nor am I growing weird tentacles or horns. If you are afraid of the "chemicals", drink seltzer Water or make your own soda at home if you are so inclined. I have a hard time with the "chemical" argument personally, as long as my doctor is also allowing me to eat pre-packaged anything. But that's just me. :D

I only drink the diet coke at fast food places as they are real flat and can't taste the acid in them.