Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning Cardio

I am 1 week and 2 days post op. My doctor told me to start cardio 30-45 minutes 3x a week. I love walking, I used to love hiking, I used to love the recumbent bike.

I don't belong to a gym yet so yesterday I walked up varied hills. There was some hill, some flat some downhill. I broke a sweat but the demand on me changed throughout the walk so I'm not sure this is a good enough answer. I tried the recumbent bike at work, which is a glorified home version and I hated it- I think I would like the gym quality one again though.

I have to say- I'm a little at a loss. From 0-30/45 is a bit much so I think maybe I should work up to 30 minutes- I want to exercise and I do not want to discourage myself- I've also ordered a few cardio beginner dvds.

I think I am actually a little embarrassed that I'm not able to just hop on and do 30 minutes...does anyone have suggestions? maybe interval with longer periods of cardio? I know it won't be completely painless and that I have to work but I'd love to know I'm not alone and hear how you tackled cardio?

I am amazed that your doctor told you to do that without working up to it. You do what your body allows you to.

Also, I am shocked at how fast you were told to start cardio. I was cleared at 6 weeks.

I am amazed that your doctor told you to do that without working up to it. You do what your body allows you to.

Also, I am shocked at how fast you were told to start cardio. I was cleared at 6 weeks.

Same here

I was told to start walking immediately. The doctor told me to start with five minutes a day and to build up to a half hour five days a week. That was the only exercise I was allowed to do for the first month. At my one month follow-up, she cleared me for all other exercises. Just listen to your body.

Thanks ladies. Perhaps he just assumed I would build to it? Who knows. Doesn't seem as if there is much of a choice but it does seem embarrassing to walk into a gym and do only 5 minutes on an elliptical- which I've never used-lol. Any other stories of what people began with are welcome :)

Started with walking 1/2 mile three times a day right away. Built that up to a total of 3 miles a day. Cleared at 6 weeks to do everything but sit-ups and crunches so I joined a gym this week. I did 20 minutes on the treadmill and 5 mins 36 seconds (1 "lap") on the elliptical. I was huffing and puffing at 2 minutes and pouring sweat by 3, I was never so happy when that 1 lap was completed.

Thank you. My "cardio" route for Monday and today was a 1 mile loop. I live in a condo community within a ski resort. So I started out with 2 solid minutes up a reasonably steep hill but heart beats only got to 37 per 15 seconds and according to online for me it should be 44 to qualify as cardio. Then I segue onto a lateral street that continues on a much milder hill, then dips - 30 per 15 seconds- then up a steeper hill, then very mild hill to level to downhill.

I'm just not sure how this counts. It is manageable for me and gives me other routes to build on. I am looking into a gym membership this morning- the one right here has a discount.

I think this is a good start from what you describe @@goodnuff?

I doubt your doctor meant for you to jump right in on 30-45 min if you haven't been used to doing anything for awhile. I think he was just giving you a goal to shoot for. I would not worry too much about HR, etc. yet either. Just get out and walk for whatever length of time you can manage at a comfortable pace. Gradually increase the pace and the distance but not at the same time - go longer one week and the next week stick to that but go faster, etc. Personally I would aim for doing it almost every day, though. And don't worry about a gym until you need more than walking to get a good workout.

@@drmeow thank you for approaching with the logic I apparently lost while I was assuming my deer in the headlights response to exercise and pressuring myself to meet the 30-45 minutes with perfection. Lol.

You are right of course and @@katkinsmu -

I think I am pushing myself just enough now and my natural curiosity about seeing new things and exploring will push me farther- I already want to take the slightly longer loop tomorrow morning for my flatter walk. I also had a friend tell me that she really wants to walk with me. I let her know exactly where I am walking wise and that I am truly beginning but she is game and I think the company will also help.

I saw a special for the gym I wanted to join and signed up today. It is a wonderful gym at the hotel right here- the membership includes the gym, sauna, steam room, 2 hot tubs, one indoor pool, one heated outdoor pool, one regular outdoor pool, a walking track, tennis which I don't play yet, basketball and full locker rooms.

So when I am cleared to start toning and allowed to be in Water and hot tubs I will meet with a personal trainer and in the mean time I will continue to work to improve myself.

Thank you all for your feedback- it helped me take a breath, evaluate and act instead of react.

@@MissLiss

Thanks ladies. Perhaps he just assumed I would build to it? Who knows. Doesn't seem as if there is much of a choice but it does seem embarrassing to walk into a gym and do only 5 minutes on an elliptical- which I've never used-lol. Any other stories of what people began with are welcome :)

Don't worry about only doing 5 minutes on the elliptical- that is very normal! The first time I used an elliptical I was 18, and omg, in 5 minutes I thought I was going to die and I wasn't really all that out of shape then- I was a soccer player. I now have an elliptical in my house that I very rarely use because I much prefer running outside and a few months ago when I was around 135-ish and could easily jog 5 miles I got on the elliptical and 20 minutes into it I was sweating, and panting, and my quads were quivering. It's all about muscle memory so when you don't do something for a long time or you've never done it before, not being able to just hop on and be awesome at it isn't limited to overweight people. I also do jiu jitsu and kickboxing and it is constantly funny to me when these guys come into class who think they are in awesome shape and they get so busted, sweating, gasping for air out of breath in a 5 minute round of jiu jitsu, while the rest of us can easily roll (the bjj word for sparring) for an hour or more without really being super winded. It's technique and muscle memory and has very little to do with the level of shape you're in when you start a new activity.

I wasn't allowed to do anything other than walking for 3 weeks, so seems like this would be a good option for you. You're at the very start of your process. Do what you feel comfortable with and soon enough you will be running away like a pro on the elliptical. :)

Wow. I'm headed to my 4wk post appt now. Hoping to get cleared for exercise other than walking. Weightloss is slow these past 3wks but Atlst it's happening!!!! 2lbs a week is still better than diets so I'm hopeful. Keep up Gd work & love the posting bout calories in & exercise out. Makes sense. Hang in

Several weeks ago I got my treadmill out of storage and setup in the house. I hadn't used it in over 3 years since I moved. I was in pretty bad shape having gained a lot of weight in those 3 years.

The first day I mamaged to walk for 30 minutes. I went really slow with zero incline. I did it again the next day. As I felt myself getting more comfortable with breathing and post walk recovery, I started increasing the time, distance, and incline. My goal is to average at least an hour a day, every day. As I've lost weight I've started adding weights to my walking workouts. I have hand weights, ankle weights, and recently purchased a 20 pound weight vest. Now I vary the workouts to keep things interesting. When the weather is good I'll walk outside. I tend to walk faster and farther outdoors and the time seems to go by twice as fast as when using a treadmill. Some day I hope to start backpacking again.

You're not eating enough to do 30-35 minutes of cardio, lol. You would collapse! Just like what everyone said, start slow. I walked my doggy every night for 30 minutes until about 6 months, then I joined a gym when my weight loss slowed down. You have lots of time to work up to it :)