Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fat free Creamer...

A week after gastric bypass has anyone done a drop of fat free cream in their coffee. If so, any issues. It's my only thing I want so badly right now is a half cup of coffee with a tiny drop of cream.

I haven't even been brave enough to try coffee yet! I am one week post surgery today. Of course, my stomach is also struggling to accept a days worth of Protein still. I feel your issue though, my sugar free Italian Sweet Cream Creamer is still in the fridge staring at me, calling my name.

LOL. The struggle is real! I'm headed shortly to the market to get some Decaf coffee. It is my absolute favorite thing in this world of food is my coffee. Preferably caffeinated but I'll give the decaf a whirl. If I'm brave enough to try sugar free today, I'll let you know.

Please, let me know and good luck! I made to switch to Decaf about 6 weeks ago so that I could start to get used to some changes in advance. It wasn't my favorite thing to do, but I'm used to it now and can accept it as part of my new lifestyle. I couldn't accept no coffee, but I can accept decaf

I haven't even been brave enough to try coffee yet! I am one week post surgery today. Of course, my stomach is also struggling to accept a days worth of Protein still. I feel your issue though, my sugar free Italian Sweet Cream creamer is still in the fridge staring at me, calling my name.

Does the sugar free taste as good as the original? That stuff is like crack!! And mine is calling my name really loudly!!!

It is not exactly the same, there is no denying that, but it is an excellent substitute that we can still have in moderation. I'm willing to make a slight change so that I don't have to give it up! your comment about it being like crack is far too accurate and actually cracked me up! Thanks for the giggle.

Just like everything else on this journey, every surgeon and dietician has a different theory on coffee/caffeine. I started with Decaf coffee 1-2 weeks after surgery, with real half and half. Then once I was getting at least 48 ounces of Water everyday I switched back over to one cup of caffeinated with 2 T of full fat half and half every morning. My surgeon is completely fine with it. Check with yours and go slow to see if it bothers your new pouch. If not, enjoy!

OK so here it is... I feel like I am drinking FV flavored water bc of the decaf!! Very bummed bc coffee is my crack too! I'm someone who drank 6-7 travel size mugs of coffee a day. A DAY !!! Bad... Yes.. But I knew doing this changes were coming. Overall the coffee mate, sf, powdered cream isn't half bad... I decided to do the powder this time as I have been making a mug of tea and taking two to three sips satisfied and I dump the rest. So the powdered lasted longer than the actual cream. Once I get to 8 weeks post op you can bet I'll be back to my morning cup of coffee w my CAFFEINE. I have read numerous people who actually never do the Decaf while they've become sleeved or bypass (like my sister)! But being a week out, I don't want to start my journey off doing something I know I shouldn't.

Edited by KalelsWifey

I'm many many years out from surgery, but about a week out, I did do Decaf coffee with non fat milk and I added unflavored Protein Powder to it.

I guess I am going to go forward with the thought that some coffee is better than no coffee!

Does anyone know why not? Is it simply a dehydration reason??

Yes, it is because of caffeine's diuretic abilities.