Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2013 sleeved and tried everything!

Hi everyone, I haven't been on any forum about this in at least 1year or so.

I'm 2 years post sleeve op and have lost 27kg but put back on 5kg. I think this is the end of my journey and sadly still have to lose another 25kg to get to my goal weight. It's feels like an endless diet and not a lifestyle change. I'm constantly hungry and rarely feel full. I eat a 1200 calorie diet and am continuing to put on weight despite good eating and exercising and drinking 3 litres of Water a day.

I don't know how much more I can possibly do to make me lose weight. I've tried everything and it's like my body resists it.

Has anyone been sleeved and experiencing the same issues? Can you give me some advice?

Sorry for sounding like a Debbie downer but I'm feeling I'm at the last resort now.

Sorry to hear about your struggle. What you are describing is the sad reality - it's hard. WLS is not a guarantee of success for any of us. But try not to despair, maybe this doesn't have to be it for you.

You probably can't lose weight at 1200 calories. I have to eat much lower to lose, and so do lots of others. Try cutting down to around 1000 or less. Increase your activity. Try low carb. Are you weighing and measuring your food? Take a good, honest look at what you are consuming. And be brutally honest. Are you grazing? If so, those calories can add up fast. I suspect there is some reason you are not losing, and it's related to some of the things I've mentioned, or it might be something else you have to figure out.

At a minimum, seek the help of your surgeon, or find a new one if you didn't have it done locally. Find a support group. See a shrink. Do what you have to do to get your head where it needs to be. You might not ever lose all of what you want to lose, but I bet you can get closer than you are now.

And lets not forget - you've had some success! It's awesome that you lost about half of your excess weight! Do what you did in the beginning, and I bet you will see results!

@@k8tee sorry to hear this. I am 3 years out and I too experience hunger and have to watch what I eat. Dammit!

You might need to revise to a bypass or that new modified DS which I think is a very exciting development in bariatric surgery.

Before doing that, I would suggest a few things to try.

Do you log your food diligently? If not, do that at least for awhile. Most of us eat more than we think and the only way to really know is weigh, measure and log

I also find that I best control hunger by eating low carb. I personally don't count calories (this is what works for me) but rather focus on Protein and carbs. If I keep my carbs low, my weight is low. If I keep my carbs high (which I have been doing lately!) I pay the price in increased hunger and increased numbers on the scale.

Also, literally eating Protein first helps. I used to have salads with meat in them. My nutritionalist pointed out I should eat the meat first, then the salad and darn if she wasn't right - I eat less that way!

I know you drink alot of Water, but read up on Water loading as a technique to extend time between eating. Basically about 2 hours after a meal if you start to feel hunger, slam quite a bit of water. It will help keep the hunger at bay for a little while. Then, serously, don't drink with meals or for about an hour after the meal. It does make a difference.

I do best on 4-5 mini meals a day. They are very similiar - protein and veggies. When I start including wine, bread, too much dairy etc I gain.

Good luck - I know how hard this is!

Thanks guys for your support. I am counting calories and Proteins still in my fitness pal and I think....that maybe I need to switch between more data opposed to carbs. Consuming Protein can also contain a lot of carbs. I'm really struggling and appreciate all feedback ????

I am headed to the same result. I was sleeved 12/1/14. I lost 25 lbs then stopped. I even went back to 2 Protein Shakes s day and 1 meal. I dont gain but dont lose. Its heartbreaking. Im not going to go more extreme to a bypass, thats just too extreme for me. Ive bern told I dont eat enough, I eat too much. Not matter what I do Im pretty much stuck where Im at. So, I understand your feelings, have no answers for you. But can say, I feel your struggle.

Consuming Protein does not contain carbs. A meal like a piece of fish or chicken with a side of low carb veggies (broccoli or salad) is very low carb.

For Breakfast I have low calorie/low carb chicken sausage with egg beaters. Or sometimes an egg beater omlette with sauteed veggies in the omelette..

lunch might be salmon with salad

dinner beef or chicken with veggies

snack might be sandwhich meat with a dill pickle or cheese. I might use lettuce as the "wrap"

I understand what everyone says. I suppose 2 years out we were told of better results but feel like we've failed somehow. But I guess that's the luck of the draw hey?!?!

Have you met with a NUT lately? Maybe now would be a good time to make an appointment and talk with a professional about your goals.

Yes I have. They think I'm in a reallllllllyyyyy long stall! Ahem, doubt it. They said to just keep up what I'm doing or alternatively do the pouch test.

Sometimes people will cut and paste a few days of food records from MFP and ask for feedback.

I am 3 years and a half years post sleeve and it is not easy. I have alot more desire to eat now. I am tempted to eat like a normal person and then I gain...

K8tee, I know that a lot of medication can prevent weight loss and sometimes cause weight gain. I went to Mexico. I was soooo worried that they wouldn't make my sleeve small enough as I'm only 5 ft 2 in. Now, I think they may have gotten it too small. My surgery was September 17, 2014 and I weighed 218 pds. I now weigh 145 pds. and just bought 2 size 7/8 junior's jeans. I can usually only eat 6 normal size bites or 1/2 cup of whatever. I no longer count calories and eat ice cream and whatever I want. I don't get hungry very often but when I do I eat 6 bites and I'm done. I usually don't get hungry again but make myself eat. I have really bad acid reflux so that has a lot to do with my lack of appetite. In the beginning I wrote everything down on paper before it passed my lips and no matter how hard I tried I could not eat more than 500 calories. Usually it was less. I also tried hard to eat Protein and kept my carbs under 15 every day. I did that for the first 4 months. If you are on any medication at all you should check the side effects. Alot of medication causes weight gain.

I think this is why that the programs really emphasize the importance of Portion Control and 'what' we eat during the first crucial 12-18 months post-op. That is when the body is void of grhelin (sp?) so hunger is not a problem. Also, the restriction is quite tight, where as over time the sleeve can expand.

Perhaps you go back to (another) Bariatric Doc and discuss having a second VSG surgical procedure to tighten the sleeve. However, on occasion that is not possible due to scar tissue from the initial VSG.

Good luck!

-RC-

Thanks for the info peeps. I Amon meds and I think that it does contribute to preventing weight loss but I don't think that's the only reason.