Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The dreaded liquid diet

I can't believe it, but I've almost made it though day 5 of my 14-day liquid diet! This is one of the stages of the whole WLS process that I was really dreading. BUT... it's not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be! I won't lie, the first couple of days were difficult, but still not too bad. I thought I would constantly be hungry, since that's one of the main reasons I'm having this surgery, but I'm really not. I have surprised myself at how easily I have been able to stick with the approved liquids and not be tempted with any solid foods.

A few things that have helped me:

1. A good blender (I have a Blendtec)

2. Tasty Protein shakes with a variety to choose from

3. Homemade broths (chicken is my favorite, using my tried and true Tyler florence recipe)

4. Herbal teas (both iced and hot)

5. sugar-free Jello (search this site for @@blashlee 's recipe for Orange Dreamsicle Jellotein, it's YUM!)

6. LOTS of Water

7. Knowing where the closest bathroom is at all times (seriously, you're drinking a TON!)

Edited by laurenjane

Great job!!!! The liquid diet is the hardest part in my opinion and you are doing fantastic.

I too found that good chicken broth was the thing that absolutely saved me during that phase. You get tired of all of the sweet Protein drinks and need something savory. A good home cooked chicken broth is absolutely a life saver!

If I had to do it all over again, I would make lots of chicken broth and freeze it before the liquid diet begins. You will use it for the liquid diet and post surgery for at least a week if not more.

Good luck to you and I wish you a safe and speedy recovery.

If you have the will power go to chick fil a or boston market and get their chicken Soup. I asked for as much broth as possible and to try to leave out the noodles and other fillers. Then I strained it at home. It was my lifesaver!

Thanks, @@Djmohr! I made a batch of chicken broth and froze it a few weeks before the liquid diet started. Had I known how much I would be going through, I would have done more! I have about 4-6 cups a day right now, so one batch only lasts 2-3 days! I made 3 batches this last weekend which should get me though the week. I'll make at least 3-4 more batches over the next few days and keep some in the freezer for post-op.

Great idea @@ShellMilliner! So far my will power has been strong enough to keep me away from almost all solid foods. I had a few small bites of chicken while making broth over the weekend, but it really didn't do anything for me and I wasn't even tempted to eat the entire chicken!

What kind of chicken broth did you use?? The cubes?

I made my own broth from scratch. I don't mind using the canned or boxed broths for cooking, but I don't really like them all by themselves. The cubes are way too salty for me.

My favorite chicken broth recipe is:

1 whole fresh chicken (giblets & neck removed)

2 onions (white or yellow) quartered

3 stalks celery (include the leaves)

1 whole head of garlic, cut in half at the equator

3 tablespoons Kosher salt (or half the amount if using regular salt)

1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns

1/4 bunch fresh thyme

Add everything to a large stock pot or dutch oven and fill with Water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Skim off the foam while simmering. Simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Remove the veggies and chicken. Strain the stock into containers. Refrigerate or freeze the stock. I removed all the fat and bones from the chicken and froze it for use later on.

Edited by laurenjane

My pre-op diet is for only 7 days prior to surgery date..... and its mainly a cabbage Soup diet..have to drink aleast one cup a day of that.... and everyday is a different way to eat... an example is day 4 i can have the Soup, bananas and skim milk.......seems weird after reading everyone elses preop diet....

@@WAEE01 Every surgeon has a different pre-op diet. Some don't even have a pre-op diet! Yours looks to be an easy one. I seem to have selected a surgeon with one of the most strict pre-op diet plans out there. Mine cut out all fruit and dairy products (along with a long list of other things) at my first appointment.

Only Protein Shakes here for 14 days. We can have one cup of bullion a day. Other than that, just Water. On day 10. Proud to have made it this far, but man this is tough. I'd be worried for folks with only a 2 day liquid diet. Your liver needs to shrink for a safe surgery...