Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi.. I am new here...Need advice

Hello everyone,

I am so glad I found this forum. I been trying to search for specific questions but couldn't find any. I guess I am in pre consultation phase. I know I need surgery and I am sure my doctor would guide me through the right options. It would be nice if someone would answer few administrative questions for me

1) How and where do I start? I don't know how to select the right surgeon. Should I pick up the phone and start calling the surgeons and see who gives me an appointment first? Or should I go with referrals from my primary Dr. The problem is that my Dr. is not that excited about me going for this option and is not assisting much. So can I call anyone who accepts my insurance or what should I do?? Will they accept ppl who don't have their primary Dr. referral or it is mandatory.

2) I am thinking about end of year timeline since thats when I can get time off from work but I need to plan now so that I am ready by that time.

I would really appreciate if someone can guide me where I should start from if my primary care Dr. is like giving me a follow up appointment in 2 months. I think I can start a parallel process of consulting with the bariatric folks and go through all the diets and other admin formalities in advance?. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I guess the main question here is "What made you select your surgeon and how did you go about finding them? Through referrals or just insurance providers etc"

Thanks

Tony

Depending on your insurance if you want to do this but the end of the year you need to get to it. Depending on the hoops your insurance makes you jump.

Where do you live? I would suggest making a post here asking if anyone in your area has any recommendations for a doctor. If not then start with your insurance company. Look for a circle of excellence hospital to make sure you get the best care.

Referral from your primary may or may not be requirement but you need to speak to your insurance company to see what they need.

So to summarize(lol) make a post now asking for recommendations and call your insurance to see their requirements.

Good luck sweetie

Depending on your insurance if you want to do this but the end of the year you need to get to it. Depending on the hoops your insurance makes you jump.

Where do you live? I would suggest making a post here asking if anyone in your area has any recommendations for a doctor. If not then start with your insurance company. Look for a circle of excellence hospital to make sure you get the best care.

Referral from your primary may or may not be requirement but you need to speak to your insurance company to see what they need.

So to summarize(lol) make a post now asking for recommendations and call your insurance to see their requirements.

Good luck sweetie

Thank you for your response. I am from Texas - (Houston) area. There are many surgeons in town I just don't know which one is right for me.

What is a circle of excellence hospital and how do I find one?

Can I make the new post here or in separate section? I already called my insurance. Their requirements are pretty straight forward and I qualify. I just need to find a doctor who accepts my insurance.

I decided on my surgeon after first investigating most of the local surgeons' websites. Once I found a few I liked I went to their free seminars to get a better idea of who they were. After my surgeon's seminar, I had made up my mind and decided to go with her. Her website and seminar were incredibly informative and impressive. I've never regretted that decision.

Once I decided to go with my surgeon, I had to change my insurance. Honestly, the insurance change and getting into the surgeon's schedule for an initial consultation were the longest wait. The seminar I attended was on September 23rd, my first appointment wasn't until February 20th. Everything has moved quickly since then though, mostly because my insurance does not require a 6-month supervised diet (many insurance companies require that). My surgery is next week.

So, if you want the ability to schedule your surgery for a specific time, I would get going now. Take a look at the websites of local surgeons and attend some seminars. Hopefully your choice will be an easy one!

I decided on my surgeon after first investigating most of the local surgeons' websites. Once I found a few I liked I went to their free seminars to get a better idea of who they were. After my surgeon's seminar, I had made up my mind and decided to go with her. Her website and seminar were incredibly informative and impressive. I've never regretted that decision.

Once I decided to go with my surgeon, I had to change my insurance. Honestly, the insurance change and getting into the surgeon's schedule for an initial consultation were the longest wait. The seminar I attended was on September 23rd, my first appointment wasn't until February 20th. Everything has moved quickly since then though, mostly because my insurance does not require a 6-month supervised diet (many insurance companies require that). My surgery is next week.

So, if you want the ability to schedule your surgery for a specific time, I would get going now. Take a look at the websites of local surgeons and attend some seminars. Hopefully your choice will be an easy one!

thank you for your valuable advice. Seems you were persistent enough to get the surgeon that you wanted. I am thinking of attending online webinar to start with. Good luck in your surgery.

Usually the circle of excellence hospital is a the top hospital in the area. I also had a 6 month pre op diet, psych evaluation and a bmi of 40(I blew that away lol)

Some doctors also have requirements they have you do.

Many doctors have free seminars . Definitely take advantage of them. I went to a doctor who didn't have one, didn't like him and knew I wasn't gonna use him but had to pay a 50.00 co pay. So sucked

Many doctors have free seminars . Definitely take advantage of them. I went to a doctor who didn't have one, didn't like him and knew I wasn't gonna use him but had to pay a 50.00 co pay. So sucked

you are right. I am trying to see a good time to register. Or else I will take the online version

@@Fat_Tony,

Honestly the best place to start is with your insurance company. Many require that you use a center of excellence for bariatrics. They will even give you a list of centers you can use.

At the same time, they will provide you with their list of requirements. My insurance which was medica required a six month supervised diet, that I use a center of excellence, that I had a BMI of 40 or 35 with commorbitities.

Most centers of excellence have both online and onsite free seminars. My advice would be to get yourself into a live seminar as quickly as possible. Once you do that, the ball will be rolling for you.

I am very excited for you! I remember how I felt after going to my first seminar. My surgery could not come fast enough. Now, I am 50 lbs from my goal and feeling fantastic!

Thanks @@Fat_Tony! Good luck to you too. Keep us posted!

@@Fat_Tony,

Honestly the best place to start is with your insurance company. Many require that you use a center of excellence for bariatrics. They will even give you a list of centers you can use.

At the same time, they will provide you with their list of requirements. My insurance which was medica required a six month supervised diet, that I use a center of excellence, that I had a BMI of 40 or 35 with commorbitities.

Most centers of excellence have both online and onsite free seminars. My advice would be to get yourself into a live seminar as quickly as possible. Once you do that, the ball will be rolling for you.

I am very excited for you! I remember how I felt after going to my first seminar. My surgery could not come fast enough. Now, I am 50 lbs from my goal and feeling fantastic!

ok thanks. I will look for center of excellence in my city. Congrats on your milestone. Looking forward to experience the same some day :)

Thanks @@Fat_Tony! Good luck to you too. Keep us posted!

Thanks and same to you.

agree start with your primary MD for suggestions, then check with your insurance for list of accepted and accredited options. I started with primary and he gave me three options in my area. I check with my insurance and they gave the gold certified options per them and I drove 90 miles one way to get to the gold. I would not trade them for anything they are awesome and everything they and the insurance promised.

I have been thru the process twice, Band to bypass. I agree, start at the source. Go to your insurance Co. get some options from them and go to the seminars. Then see how you like them based on that or their ratings on here or doctor rater or just old fashioned meet and greet. Also, you may choose based on the hospital they are associated with. You def want a center of excellence affiliated doc on this ride. One with a comprehensive program not just a cut ya, and send you on your merry way with the bear minimum required visits. What that means is, SUPPORT! Before, after, DURING! For me, the marker of a good office is, many of the staff are post op patients themselves, so, they have been in our chubby little shoes and get it! They have support staff, IE: patient lesion, nutritionist and plenty of nursing staff (you don't feel rushed!) . They have support groups that are practice specific, they are as excited about this process as you are. If that's not the vibe..move on! As to your primary, yes, you will want to have a relationship with a primary just for ongoing health reasons as you move through this process and more than likely it will be an insurance rec. if he is not on board, move on! I hope this is helpful, I wish you all the best, it's a hard decision and you should feel as comfortable and supported by your medical team as possible during this time.

I have been thru the process twice, Band to bypass. I agree, start at the source. Go to your insurance Co. get some options from them and go to the seminars. Then see how you like them based on that or their ratings on here or doctor rater or just old fashioned meet and greet. Also, you may choose based on the hospital they are associated with. You def want a center of excellence affiliated doc on this ride. One with a comprehensive program not just a cut ya, and send you on your merry way with the bear minimum required visits. What that means is, SUPPORT! Before, after, DURING! For me, the marker of a good office is, many of the staff are post op patients themselves, so, they have been in our chubby little shoes and get it! They have support staff, IE: patient lesion, nutritionist and plenty of nursing staff (you don't feel rushed!) . They have support groups that are practice specific, they are as excited about this process as you are. If that's not the vibe..move on! As to your primary, yes, you will want to have a relationship with a primary just for ongoing health reasons as you move through this process and more than likely it will be an insurance rec. if he is not on board, move on! I hope this is helpful, I wish you all the best, it's a hard decision and you should feel as comfortable and supported by your medical team as possible during this time.

Thanks. As you and others have mentioned, Insurance is the one who calls the shots on this one. I was informed today that I have to get my primary Dr. onboard and he has to send my medical records to the insurance where he thinks it is justified for me to move forward in this direction. Once the insurance approves the case, I can setup an appointment with the surgeons directly.

You mention an important point about pre and post surgery care. I am assuming this process is similar to how women go selecting the right hospital for delivery and labor. Regarding the COE affiliated Dr. is that the one which has that seal on their website ? I noticed not everyone has it. So if the Dr. has that on his website, it will be a COE affiliated? or is there any other way to find out. Regarding the staff and support programs, how to find that out before actually setting an appointment. I was hoping to find an Angie's list for such places in my area with good rating. Most of the websites are pretty similar. There are so many testimonials and before and after pics. Most of the information is pretty redundant and one cannot make a decision based on the websites alone. Is it possible that after first visit you will know if this is the right place to move forward with or no?

I found the best way to get a good Vibe on an office is to just go and visit. You can really tell how they operate that way. write down some questions you want to ask and just ask away! Then come back here and give a shout out on the board to any who are current patients and see what their exp. is with them. Another good thing to do is, find out when and where their support group meets up. Go there and then mingle before and after the session with the staff and patients. You'll get a good idea of the real low down on office procedure and general overall positiveness that way too after you do your own recon! That's what I did, it and it turned out very well for me. Just make sure the office hits all your high points and you should be happy!