Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Homemade broths - planning ahead

Hi, all -

I'm scheduled for VSG on June 9th and am planning ahead. I love to cook, have a freezer full of meat, and am wondering....did anyone else make their own stock for the liquid only phase of recovery? My thought is to make up some Protein rich stock, especially chicken since I have some old stewing hens I've been saving, and freeze the broth in ice cube trays for easy thawing and heating.

Good idea or am I just over-thinking this.

Thanks for the feedback!

Over thinking! I bought bullion individual packets. Much easier. You're not going to feel like digging for frozen broth.

Homemade would probably be more tasty. Don't make too much! I probably didn't have broth once a day. I pretty much just had my 3 Protein drinks, Water, and a Vitamin Water Zero daily.

I too am making my own stock, but I do that regularly anyway. I like knowing what's in it.

I will take two sets of bones from roasted chickens, a couple of sweet onions, carrots, and mushrooms and blast them all in the oven at 400f for 45 min.

Then, into the slow cooker on low, for 24hrs.

Then fridge to cool. Remove fat from top.

Then freeze by 1/4 cup in muffin tins (I found them easier to deal with than the ice trays).

What you don't use during pre- and post-op, you can use for healthy and tasty cooking!

I make stock with my roasted birds - chicken and turkey - whenever I make that sort of Sunday dinner meal. I simmer the bones, skins, feet (if I've got them), neck, and add some onion, carrot, celery, and a bit of thyme. The slow cooker is great for this. This broth is a great starter for Soups or sauces especially when it's Protein rich and gelatinous. A spoon should be able to stand in it when it's chilled. Store bought can be so salty, and I'm not a fan of the fake color, either.

I've used ice cube trays to freeze it and then pop the cubes into a zip top bag to add to my cooking when I only need a bit. I love the idea of the muffin tray, though. Quarter cup is about right for so many things. Thanks for that idea!

Lots of sodium in the canned stuff. Too much for me.

Currently on day 7 of preop diet all liquids, mental hard but not as bad as I thought. Here's an easy broth recipe. Boil 3 cups of Water with 1/2 onion for 10-15 min. Then, chop 2 carrots, 2 celery sticks, 1 small zuquiny and throw into pot. Add 1st all poon full of chicken stock powder, leave covered for 10 min. Then add 3-5 leafs of bok Choi and a slice of jalapeño for a kicker. Leave covered and turn off for another 10 min. Enjoy!

I too have a couple of freezers full of meat (beef, chicken, and pork) and plan on making my broth. My surgery is June 8th