Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips for Abdominoplasty /Tummy Tuck Prep?

So I was lucky enough to have my insurance approve my panniculectmy & abdominoplasty and it is scheduled for this week.

I'm thinking I'll need some nightgowns since I probably won't want to be wearing even yoga pants at first.

For those who have had this surgery, or have planned for it, do you have any tips? Anything else I should get, what to expect, etc. Any feedback is appreciated !!

Yay! Congrats on getting your insurance to cover it!

My doctor only required I wear the abdominal binder, but I bought two compression garments from Amazon. I used the one at the link below, which now says it is unavailable but you can find it other places as well. I also used this garment after my posterior body lift and for my thigh lift, which you may never have, but over the course of 3 surgeries I must have washed it at least a hundred times and both of my garments are still in perfect, tight, shape. I liked them because they made me feel much more secure while walking around and while sleeping. Of everything, it is the single most important thing I bought before surgery that wasn't recommended. While I had one in the wash, I wore the other one, and they were well worth the cost.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017SMMDC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also don't really do nightgowns, so I just wore loose pajama pants the entire time with a loose tank top or pajama shirt. The pain after the surgery is minimal in the sense that you don't actually feel like someone cut off your stomach. The most annoying part is when they stitch your abs together (which gives you a great result) because you can't actually use your abs very well for the first few weeks. Sitting up in bed is SUCH a pain. Also, remember to set up your couch and bed so that it is like you are sitting in a lawn chair. Pillows under your shoulders and head and pillows under your knees. This ensures that while you're sleeping you don't accidentally straighten out your posture and rip anything the first week or so.

In terms of preparation, you can't stand up straight, so put everything you might need at waist or chest level. The most useful thing I found was to use one of those bright LED nightlights that you can stick on things and attach it to your night stand. When you can't physically sit yourself up and you're high on drugs, it is really nice to flop your arm over to the side, smack that light, and have more than enough light to safely get to the bathroom or find your medications, or just actually sit up in bed without falling out of it or hurting anything.

I've had a lot of plastics and my stomach is by far my favorite. The recovery isn't fun, but it really is not bad at all compared to what you might read about online. The end result is more than worth it and I'm sure you will love your new stomach as much as the rest of us do.

Good luck!

Just had my Tummy Tuck and breast lift this past Monday. I actually wore yoga pants home from the hospital. As for my top choose something that is easy to get into like a XML mans zipper hoodie. Recovery on the tummy as been good you just get bored laying around. I followed the suggestion of sleeping in a lazy boy and I had done quite a bit of food prep. Key is taking it easy which is harder than you think and listening to your surgeons instructions.

The Tummy Tuck was so painful thanks to pain killers I was brave to pull threw 6 weeks. Md require binder 24/7 I was swollen like hell. Good luck

Hi all - thought I would check back in now that I'm on the other side. :-) It's definitely been a more painful recovery than I thought. The drainage tubes were really painful when they were in and umm.......yeah......not fun coming out. I developed an infection in my incision and am on bed rest for a while, but otherwise, my energy level is picking up and the TT and panni themselves look great. I'm excited to finish healing and get back to real life. :-)

I'm off of pain meds because I had a bad reaction to them and ended up in the ER. Today is actually only the 2nd day that I've been in yoga pants and out of a night gown. lol. I'm glad it's over. I was not prepared for the level of pain to expect and the tubes and how uncomfortable they would be (in and coming out). But I feel like I'm on the upswing now. I took an extra week off work because of the infection and set backs, but I should be back to normally hopefully soon! I just keep thinking "by Memorial Day I'll feel so much better!!".. Pick a day in the future and focus on it :-)