Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time off work for recovery

Hi, I'm a newbie to this and haven't decided which surgery I will do but I would like to know realistically when you returned to work. I work at a very laid back job. I sit in a booth ( not a very small one) enough to stand up move around and stretch. I'm a cashier during graveyard which my shift is super duper slow. I'm trying to figure out how much time I would need away from work considering I don't work a strenuous job yet more relaxed. I know each surgery varies according to the information I researched already but I need y'all help please. What makes recovery most difficult when returning to work?

I had my surgery early Monday morning.

By thursday I was climbing the walls and had to get out and run some errands.

Was Back to work the following Monday. But was told no lifting for a few more weeks

(also started going to the gym a week later, all cleared by my Dr.)

I am banded and my recovery was very quick. At the time my Job we phaycially demanding ( I worked with teenagers with special needs and needed to be physically able to deal with emergencies like keeping up with boys trying to run away or attack people! )

I had a full week off work and then when I returned avoided strenuous activities.

In a job such as you describe, a week would have been plenty. In fact maybe even less although I did still have a few extra sleeps!

I am off this week as pto, and the next 3 as short term disability. Taking off the full 4 weeks allowed by my employer!! Gives me time to get used to this new lifestyle, and get into a routine. Plus, I have nothing to wear back to work yet. Ineed to lose a few more pounds, then I'll raid my closet.

I had a sleeve and I had a full work week off with weekends on either side of it, so went back to work 10 days after surgery... It was doable but I was actually more sore from the sitting than anything else. I sit at a desk job and the sitting hurt my tummy. I took lots of breaks to walk around. At home it felt better to lie down or be up walking for the first month due to the incisions on my tummy.

@@Debbieduck4 yep, exactly why I will be taking off the full 4 weeks. I sit too, and rarely get a break or lunch (I'm a supervisor at a call center) Our call center is 100,000 sq ft, but we use instant messaging to be more "efficient". I worry about getting in my walks once I get back to work.

I had surgery on a Monday and went back to work the following Monday. I was still sore, but not in pain at all. I was also tired at the end of the day, but actually felt better getting back in my routine than I did laying on my couch. I had an easy recovery.

@@Debbieduck4 yep, exactly why I will be taking off the full 4 weeks. I sit too, and rarely get a break or lunch (I'm a supervisor at a call center) Our call center is 100,000 sq ft, but we use instant messaging to be more "efficient". I worry about getting in my walks once I get back to work.

. Ok thanks this helps a lot

My surgery isn't until June, but am planning to take 2 weeks off. I have a relaxed job as well. Mostly sitting, but not "chained" to my desk. I can get up and move anytime I need to AND we have 2 treadmills, so if I need to, I always can jump on one of those on rainy days. If I stay home the whole 2 weeks, I will be surprised...but I'm glad I have that option if I feel I need it.

I am off this week as pto, and the next 3 as short term disability. Taking off the full 4 weeks allowed by my employer!! Gives me time to get used to this new lifestyle, and get into a routine. Plus, I have nothing to wear back to work yet. Ineed to lose a few more pounds, then I'll raid my closet.

thanks a lot for your reply, the reason I'm asking is because I'm not sure how long my employer allows considering I been with the company only 9 months even if I wait until after I been with my job a year I'm not sure how long I would qualify for. But I plan to ask my manager this week so I can plan accordingly

My surgery isn't until June, but am planning to take 2 weeks off. I have a relaxed job as well. Mostly sitting, but not "chained" to my desk. I can get up and move anytime I need to AND we have 2 treadmills, so if I need to, I always can jump on one of those on rainy days. If I stay home the whole 2 weeks, I will be surprised...but I'm glad I have that option if I feel I need it.

ok great because I think my job may only qualify me for 2 weeks I only been with them 9 months

@@ThruChristICan, we all do not heal exactly the same, so please keep that in mind. In my case, I planned for four weeks off because, like @@wannaBthinsoon, I wanted to give myself time to deal with all the adjustments, and frankly, give myself the gift of time for healing. I am very glad I did this because I was one of those unfortunate ones that had complications from surgery (the surgeon lacerated my spleen). So I really needed the extra time.

So, find out how much time off you can safely plan for and then I recommend that you at least have a contingency plan for just in case you end up needing some extra time. If you don't need it, then no harm done.

Good luck!

Edited by Elizabeth21

I was sleeved last July. Because I work in a school I had the summer off,but it took about four weeks to feel like myself. So you should give yourself as time as possible.

I had surgery on a Thursday morning (both my husband and I) and we both returned to work on the following Monday! He and I walked 2.5 miles on Sat and Sunday trying to ready ourselves for the week! I'm at work now-- we had surgeries on 4/23