Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got my surgery on 4/16 I was very active in the gym prior to surgery... I'm still recovering but being that I had the removal of the lapband and the sleeve done at the same time my body is taking a little longer to recover... My question is When can I start the Gym... I went to see my doctor for a one week post op and of course I forgot to ask like the most important questions... Help thanks

Edited by mindy79

Mine was done on the same day. My post op is 2 weeks but if you feel up to you probably could go anytime. Don't do anything too strenuous. . Have you walked a lot?

Every day since surgery I walk what I can... But every time I go Out and walk for a while I get home to feel more pain.... Today I spent all day Out of My house I did walking for a couple hours in the morning at a festival I attended and all though I spent the rest of the day just sitting now I'm in so much pain.... My back aches from only being able to sleep on my back I try laying sitting up a little and flat either way I'm always aching ... My body is definitely still weak but I want to work on building my strength again... The only question is how and when?

You should call your doctor to check before exercising, especially if you are having pain. I was a regular sleeve, but had a really easy surgical and post-op experience. I was walking from day 1, exercising week 2 and back to full on Water aerobics by week 3. Most importantly listen to your body. When you need to slow down, slow down. If you need to rest, do so.

If you are having pain you should cut back. After surgery I had no pain problems and because I was off work felt like I was on vacation. I attend a gym that is associated with the hospital where my surgery took place and so nurses and exercise therapists are on staff. They told me to cut back, that I was doing too much- and I quote them- "You had major surgery and need to recover from that. Cut back on your outings and movement that makes a lot of up and down bends." I suggest you call your doctor and ask them directly. But remember you did have surgery so take it easy.

I am 4/17! Also wondering when I can start strength training at gym. Have been walking on treadmill everyday since 4/20. Surgery went great. Feeling good.

That's great strength training is a little harsh I would be careful or ask before you can start that class... I love them classes btw

I will be starting back to work 1 week from today, hope to rebuild some strength before. Have appt. with surgeon this Thursday, will talk to him about it.

I got my surgery on 4/16 I was very active in the gym prior to surgery... I'm still recovering but being that I had the removal of the lapband and the sleeve done at the same time my body is taking a little longer to recover... My question is When can I start the Gym... I went to see my doctor for a one week post op and of course I forgot to ask like the most important questions... Help thanks

ask your Surgeon or Bariatric Nurse to be safe ..... I would.

U must get doc approval. Even if they outside incisions r healed and u feel good the inside is not healed and u could open ur.sleeve and that could cause serious issues including death

Dr appt today 2 weeks out and down 28 lbs. He said I could start working out and using weights after 4-6 weeks at the gym. For now walking 30-45 min. Every day.

Hi there, I agree with Becky, your body is recovering and need to rest, pain is not a good sign when exercising. I started going to gym 2 weeks after surgery doing 10 minutes on a stationery bike and 15-20 minutes walking at 5-6mph on a treadmill. After 6 weeks I started to introduce weights into my routine. I love working out before the gym and found it was better to go slow at the beginning and increase the intensity as my body improved and healed during the process. Good luck.

Thank you guys all this info is great... I started going to the gym but only doing 20-30 min walks on the treadmill... I do some leg work outs and arms but Nothing that requires heavy lifting.... I'm being very careful... How ever I find that sitting a lot really hurts my incisions.... I do light exercise and enough resting... It's just weird how after relaxing or resting for too long... That's when I feel sore...