Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restless Legs and No Sleep

I am 10 days post op. I've had a terrible time falling asleep since day five. I'm in no pain but I've started to experience restless legs which keep me up for hours. I've never had this before. I go back to work Monday, any ideas to get this under control?

I have never had this before either, but have had a problem with this since surgery. I was wondering if it was surgery or diet related. Shortly after I get in bed to sleep my legs, especially my thighs, get a heavy, uncomfortable, creeping crawling feeling. I wonder if it is from Iron deficiency?

From WebMD, Possible causes:

" Certain chronic diseases and medical conditions, including iron deficiency, Parkinson’s disease, kidney failure, diabetes, and peripheral neuropathy often include symptoms of RLS. Treating these conditions often gives some relief from RLS symptoms.

Medications. Some types of medications, including anti-nausea drugs, antipsychotic drugs, some antidepressants, and cold and allergy medications containing sedating antihistamines, may worsen symptoms."

Edited by liannatx

I am taking all my Vitamins, but haven't eaten red meat in weeks... and am limited on veggie sources. I will have to check my Vitamins and see what they provide. I have some routine lab work coming up, so I will be able to ask then... and make sure they check my Iron levels. I assumed this was temporary since I have never had this before. It is very annoying, I just have to finally get out of bed and go to the bathroom or kitchen... anything to just not lay there and feel that weird, restless, uncomfortable feeling.

Hope it goes away for you soon, the insomnia part does get annoying.

OK! I have truly found a solution for this that works EVERY time for me! I actually read about this in my local newspaper, and whomever it was that came up with it is spot-on! Take a bar of soap (I use a small, hotel-size bar...any type, and brand), and put it between your fitted sheet and your mattress, where your knees lay. Make sure it is very close to your knees. Leave it there through the night, as you sleep. For me, it works within just a few minutes. THAT'S IT!!! This has worked EVERY single time I've needed it, now I just keep a bar of soap in my nightstand. Give it a try, see what you think! Let me know!

@@CanyonBaby

I will definitely try this! It sounds odd, but HEY, if it works I wont question it.

edited: I was curious and Googled this... it seems to be a widely used home remedy. I will be trying this tonite.

Edited by liannatx

@CanyonBaby I don't understand how it works, but I also have been sleeping better! I'm not sure if it is the soap bar, but it is the only thing I have done different.

I am SOOOOO glad this is working for you! Keep the soap nearby for when you have the "crawly legs"! Get some that is really nice-smelling, too! Rest well, all!

I've got RLS, so i COMPLETELY understand how you feel. It's horrible to be laying in bed, wanting to sleep, exhausted, and your legs just need to move, twitch, stretch, move, tingle, tighten, and everything else but calm the F down! ;-)

I find that even my muscle relaxant isn't helping much anymore...and i know it's not a vitamin/mineral deficiency, it's something i've had that just got worse over time...especially after some traumatic leg surgery i've needed for other problems.

So what helps me:

Elevation, sometimes just throwing a pillow under my legs and feet to get them above the heart helps.

Warmth: this is tricky, especially in the summer. But i have a small lap blanket whose fibers kinda make it stick to my comforter and i lay it over my legs from the knees down. If it's hot, i uncover my feet to help regulate temp. I am going to knit some leg warmers this fall so I can have that nice warmth a little more controlled in the cold weather.

honestly though, when all else fails, i put on my compression socks. for some reason that constriction envelopes the crazy and most times works to help me finally sleep. I have 20-30 mmHG compression stockings that i had to wear every day after my leg surgeries to keep the swelling down...they are a b!tch to get on, but once they are on, totally worth it! If you do buy some, make sure to buy at least the knee-highs, and have them cover the foot (open toe style) or get the whole sock-type. Anything that cuts off at the ankle is bad because it retains swelling in the foot.