Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Journey - musings of a food junkie

Today is T minus 10 days to surgery and Day 1 of the pre op diet. My Doc prescribed a low carb max 1000 calories pre op diet with the suggestion of Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch and a light dinner. I had to take the scouts camping tonight so I did my best to adhere to the diet. I did the protien shake for breakfast and lunch. For dinner we cooked beef and potato burritos. I only had one, which is very challenging for me. They tasted delicious but I was also hungry. I also packed some veggies and has them as a snack. I tracked it all in myfitnesspal and came out at 747 calories. Not to shabby. Day 1 down, onto Day 2.

T minus 9 and Day 2 on Pre Op. Today was challenging. Thankfully I was busy with coaching soccer and working on the yard. I started the day with an Atkins strawberry shake, which tastes pretty good. The soccer game was at 10:00 AM, and it was difficult not to stop and get lunch on the way home. My kids both were hungry, but thankfully my wife likes to eat at home and is not a big fan of eating out. So she supported me going home for lunch. Lunch consisted of a Coco Libre Coconut Milk chocolate shake. I was being a little adventures. The shake actually tasted fine, but I was still hungry. Mowing and fertilizing the lawn took my mind off of the hunger. After working on the flower beds, we broke for dinner. I was feeling very hungry at this point. We grilled chicken and added a green salad with black bean, corn and avocado salsa on top. I practiced hard taking my time, putting my fork down between bites and chewing my food slowly. I think it helped. We ended the night watching the new Annie movie with the family. I munched on celery and carrots, while the kids ate buttery popcorn. I would have much rather had the popcorn. :( All in all it was a descent day. Calorie Count on MyFitnessPal is 831. I was very careful with dinner to weigh everything to get my exact calories. I am really looking forward to getting past the pre op diet and onto the surgery. Best of luck to all of you experiencing this diet...it truly is not easy.

T minus 8 and Day 3 on Pre Op. Sunday was not easy. We usually get together for a family dinner and I knew going into this, it will be one of the more difficult food situations for me. Both my wife and I have large families and they both get together regularly on Sundays for dinner. Luckily, this was a Sunday that we didn't have a family dinner. However, I was home sitting around, itching to eat some comfort food. I am pretty much at a constant stomach grumble at this point. The Protein shakes don't do much for the hunger. I have been drinking chicken broth spiked with Tabasco and that seems to help calm my stomach. Anyway, survived another day. Calorie count was 948.

My 2-weeks pre op was nothing but shakes. Then the same 2 weeks after surgery. You can do this. Time passes fast. Get some sugar free popsicles & Jello. It's going to be a major lifestyle change. Follow the guidelines the nutritionist & doctor gave you. I'm 4 months post op &-have had no setbacks. Lost 90lbs so far. Good Luck to you

Every day behind you is another hurdle jumped. You're doing great!

My 2-weeks pre op was nothing but shakes. Then the same 2 weeks after surgery. You can do this. Time passes fast. Get some sugar free popsicles & Jello. It's going to be a major lifestyle change. Follow the guidelines the nutritionist & doctor gave you. I'm 4 months post op &-have had no setbacks. Lost 90lbs so far. Good Luck to you

Thank you for your enthusiasm. I can't wait to be on the other side of the surgery. I knew the pre op diet would be rough. I am undoing a lifetime of bad eating habits. I truly appreciate your cheerful thoughts!!!

T minus 8 and Day 3 on Pre Op. Sunday was not easy. We usually get together for a family dinner and I knew going into this, it will be one of the more difficult food situations for me. Both my wife and I have large families and they both get together regularly on Sundays for Dinner. Luckily, this was a Sunday that we didn't have a family dinner. However, I was home sitting around, itching to eat some comfort food. I am pretty much at a constant stomach grumble at this point. The Protein Shakes don't do much for the hunger. I have been drinking chicken broth spiked with Tabasco and that seems to help calm my stomach. Anyway, survived another day. Calorie count was 948.

Oh my goodness my grandma has a Sunday dinner every single Sunday and I've been thinking about when I start my pre-op diet next month! How difficult it's going to be sitting there while everyone's eating all this big spread of food that she puts out and I'm going to be sitting there with Protein Shake LOL

You are doing an amazing job! I like that you are tracking those calories and seeing those numbers. It's also great that you are staying so active despite the reduce intake. Keep that up!!!

I'm still not even scheduled for surgery but trying to stay on low calories to lose some weight (started at 417!) It is challenging and I am hungry ALL the time. But we can do it!

5 days to surgery. Day 5 of the pre op diet and half way there. I missed logging a couple of days, but all is going well. I actually went to a spinning class at the gym on Monday and that felt great to get some activity in. Surprisingly, my energy level has been good even on the restricted calories, even with the exercise added in. I have been diligent keeping under the 1000 calories requirement and no carbs and this is translating to the scale. I have dropped about 12 lbs in the last 5 days. I know about half of this is Water weight, but 5-6 lbs is body weight..

I have been getting ready for the surgery the last couple of days. The hospital called to preregister and set up the presurgery lab draws. They also called wanting the payment. I am self pay, so I have to cough up the $19,000 for the surgery. I basically took a loan on my 401K to pay for it. It will take me 4 years to pay back, but the payment is reasonable considering the reduction in future medical bills and the improvement in quality of life.

I meet with the Doctor on Friday. He requires a 1 hr education class on the new lifestyle and then a 1 hr exam and Dr consultation. His practice also announce the May support group schedule. I am looking forward to attending the meetings and meeting more people like me, going through the same experience.

My family has been pretty supportive. No one has been negative. I think they are a little stand offiish on the subject because they just don't know how to talk about it. My siblings are all pretty heavy and all could probably use the surgery. Maybe I will set the example and they will follow. Who knows? My wife has been very supportive. She did question me a week ago if I really wanted to go through with it. She has tried to make dinners and eating work with my diet. It's a little challenging at times because she has never dealt with any weight issues. I probably come across crazy at times going from diet to diet. I don't blame her sometimes being frustrated with me and what to cook for dinner. Hopefully this will get much better after the surgery.

Anyway, I am rambling, and life is moving forward.

Good luck. Gbs was the best decision I ever made, complications and all.

:). :). :)

Morning of the Surgery - I am excited, yet a little nervous. My surgery check in time is 10:45. I haven't had anything to eat since yesterday at 2:00 and started the bowl cleanse at 4:00. To say the least, I am starving. The bowl cleanse didn't hit until 4:00 this morning. I woke and felt a gurgling in my stomach, then for the next hour I visited the restroom. All in all, it wasn't so bad.

The pre op diet is over. I survived! I have lost about 15 lbs in 10 days. It was difficult though. life goes on around you and all those old food situations don't go away. I am ready for the permanent change. I know that I can never eat the same again, and that's a good thing.

My Family has been very supportive. My Mom and Dad came to visit last night and my Sister and her family also. They wished me well. I looked at my mom and my sister and wonder if they would ever follow me and have the surgery done. I guess if it is successful for me, they might do it.

the pre surgery exam and labs was on 3 days ago. I liked the meeting and was glad my wife came along to hear them talk about the process and after food life. The dietitian was pretty good. She spoke with authority and offered help at any time. The ultrasound of my gal bladder didn't show any disease, so I doubt they will remove it. All my labs came back normal.

So it is off to the Hospital. I wish all of you considering the surgery or going through it right now the best possible outcomes!