Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Encouragement Tips... What do you do?

What did/do you do to keep up the encouragement. I keep a dry erase marker in my bathroom... and when i found a good saying.... I wrote it on my mirror.... This way i saw it when i woke up and before i go to bed...

I wrote things like: You are beautiful. Yesterday is over, Today is a new day, make it count......

Off the top of my head this came to me. I have a running list of my weights and the dates in my phone. When I feel like I haven't made any progress, I look back a few months and see where I was compared to where I am.

I also look in my closet and I have NO fat clothes left. I got rid of them. Even the ones that are one size bigger than I am now. Everything fits and everything looks good. Except for my baggy bathing suits. I need a new one again! My closet always had several sizes when I was fat.

I also say a few prayers every day that put my head in the right place.

Adding to what Just Watch Me said, I like to put a "treasure", a true find (such as a cute sweater....) kind of a trophy out on my dresser to "encourage" me to either fit in it, or wear it (depending on it's size) as a little "spur" to keep me going! Nothing like looking good to prod you on!

Every time I'm feeling like a fat cow in the past couple of weeks (been in a stall), I've tried taking my pants off without unbuttoning or unzipping them. That reminds me of how far I've come, since I'm on my third set of dress pants since pre-op and now even these are HUGE on me.

I always kept a chart on the wall above my scales and noted my weight every week. I couid fit about 10 weeks on one sheet and do even if one week had no loss, the graph showed a clear trend.

Many people hate tracking on MFP and other online tools. But I love it!

When I want to feel good about how well I'm doing I click on "Reports" and look at my 180-day or year-long weight chart (I weigh most mornings and record it). Or I look at the 90-day calories and Protein grams charts.

I'm doing great. And it really shows on those graphs. Yes, there's fluctuation -- but fluctuation around where my eating and weight-loss goals are.

:)

Remember that episode of Designing Woman when that man made them an "applause" box... you opened the lid and there was an applause.... (season 2, eps. 11 Howard the date) wouldn't that be get if we all had one... when we feel sad we could just open the lid.

I've tried taking my pants off without unbuttoning or unzipping them.

Ha! I do the same thing!

It seems to always make me feel better, lol. And makes me go out and buy pants that actually fit ;)

Love these ideas!!

Ha! I do the same thing!

It seems to always make me feel better, lol. And makes me go out and buy pants that actually fit ;)

I'm trying to hold out until I go on vacation two weeks from now because I want to do some outlet mall shopping, but I don't know if I'm going to make it. I'm hiking them up every few steps as I walk around the office!

Ha! I do the same thing!

Jamie

The pants falling off without undoing them is a sure reminder to either get them taken in or go on to new ones! Seems like this has happened to many What a lovely NSV for us!

@@bayougirlmrsc - You just won my heart quoting Designing Women. I loved that show.

I think I have a pretty decent ego (hopefully not too much, lol). I always felt pretty, but I do love when I do a nice hair style with my hair or my makeup comes out exceptionally pretty. I am one of those people that takes selfies. I've noticed when I post them now people comment more on the now noticeably weight loss much more than whether my shade of lipstick was flattering.

Another thing: I'm getting some work done on my house so I have to clean out the spare room. I have bins of stuff that I haven;;t looked at in years. I've been going through them. I have clothes in every size from a 32 - 16! A lot of them are designer clothes so I guess I couldn't bear to part with them. I'm having a really good time fitting into those old clothes again. It's also feels *really* nice to get rid of the bigger clothes.

I kept a daily log of my weight and loved watching the # s go down. ( Im not one to live and die by the scale, it just kept me on a straight path to eat healthy , exercising and drinking my water.) I also gave away all my too big clothes except for 1 pair of jeans and a T shirt. ( size 18) Trying them on and having the pants literally fall off of never gets old ! That, and the nice compliments and looks didn't hurt either ! ( Still doesn't !!)

I took 56 really nice shirts to Goodwill last week. I kinda hope theres some fat guys who can wear 4x and 3x shirts!!

@@CTJohn that's a lot of shirts....and closet space!

I have next pants to fit into waiting in my closet -- a pair of purple linen and a pair of red linen. Want to get into them by summer.

To remind myself of my new body and how far I've come, I like to fondle my collarbones. It is amazing to me how good that feels to have them there again. On the scale I always note now that I'm able to look right down -- my big fat belly is not obscuring the view. Whatever the number might be, that NSV is a beautiful thing. Oh, and I can look in the mirror and see that I have a waist. A waist!

Thanks for the encouragement -- love this thread. Now to go do my walk at the lake!