Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now I know why I am fat

I took 2 bites of a chicken quesadilla sitting in a padded booth (ok NSV. Can fit into booth at a diner) which I KNOW is tempting fate and what do you know... I get stuck. Which I knew was a big possibility and I still ate it. Which explains why I'm fat. I knew something was bad for me and I still ate it.

I guess it's a learning curve.

Spent 35 minutes getting it up. Also how long after getting stuck does it usually take people to get it up? For me it takes up to 40 minutes. Ugh!

How long? Til we know better... Took me years to " get" it.

Harder when you are in a public place.

I would grab my lipstick and make an excuse to get up????

Oh been there done that! My worst stuck episode lasted overnight into the next day. I was miserable. Now I'm getting much better at sensing if I am headed for Stucksville. This last fill puts me right on the border of perfect/too tight. If I chew correctly and slowly, perfect. Sloppy or fast, Stucksville.

When it does happen, I call it quits and wait for the next mealtime. I never want that overnight misery again.

It's a learning curve alright -- the behavior modification portion of the program. I sometimes used Water to help -- liquids on top of the stuck to bring it up. Also arms overhead and sort of hanging. I'm always terrified this will happen out in the world but so far so good. There are the big signals but once I got those down I discovered a set of much subtler signals going on. If I tune in, that is. And I really think that's how the band works -- esophageal squeezes triggering signals from the brain. Pretty amazing, really. As for having something anyway, the screw this mentality, I totally agree that's how I got fat, too. I'd restrict, restrict, be good and then throw in the towel. Over and over again.

It is definitely a learning curve, and many lessons learned the hard way.

I have been stuck more times than I can count...so times 2-3 times a day. I had some very bad eating habits that the band was going to change!!!

And that was mostly in the first 12-18 months. I do not get stuck anymore, I've finally learned and changed my ways.

Now you've had an unpleasant experience...you have to ask yourself, am I too tight? Or am I eating bad and need to learn some lessons. Did I do something wrong.

Also, after an experience like that, you can irritate the band, cause inflammation, and not be able to keep anything down. And trying to eat only prolongs it...like walking on an ankle after you sprained it. You need to give it a rest.

I'm amazed at how many people will immediately say they're too tight, and go get Fluid taken out so they can eat whatever they want more easily.....kind of defeats the purpose IMO......

But this is where banded people begin to go separate ways, have their different philosophies, comfort levels....etc.

Not going to say who's right or wrong...as long as it works for them and find success, then that's all that matters.

There are many things I have learned not to eat....most the hard way....and it's interesting that the majority of them are not that good for me in the first place..high carbs, etc. such as breads, Pasta, rice, to name a few.....also red meat is on my list, along with anything breaded and deep fried.

I eat when and what I want, but my food choices have changed (thanks to the band)...180 degrees.....and when I do eat, it is very healthy foods...and very little when I do.

A lifestyle change, not a diet, brought about by the band..

Before WLS, there was nothing to stop me from overeating...except perhaps my own discipline, and I know how ineffective that was....

That's why I was fat....could not stop eating anything and everything as much as I wanted, whenever I wanted.

But now, the band is there. And if I step out of bounds, it is quick to let me know...Or Else.

It sets the rules, not me. It is in control. That's why I will not refer to it as a tool....as if I can turn it on or off...

A pet peeve of mine is when people say "They failed the band" They are a failure.....WAIT a minute...it's a 2 way street...what about the band? Did it fail you? Is it doing anything? There is a reason we needed to have WLS after all, and for me it was not so I can go on another diet...but that';s my take.

I know I'm not too tight. It was totally my fault. I chose the wrong food and was sitting in the wrong chair. I am finding if I eat in a padded chair v a hard chair I am more prone to get stuck and of course my food choice was not great either. I'm committed to this and am happy I can come get support here

I don't get stuck but I do know that when I eat out, I don't always pay attention to the amount of food I eat and with the band, sometimes one forkful can mean the difference between satiety and uncomfortably full. So I figured out a little trick. I take off a band sized portion of whatever I'm eating, cut that food into small pieces and when I've finished it, I'm finished. I don't graze anything else on my plate, or start to nibble on the bread...nothing. This way I don't have to focus on the food but I also know I've done my best to prevent anything untoward.

I like that one, @@gowalking because of the whole "must finish" thing....I was such a finisher before and if I'm not super-aware I can revert to that way of thinking. Better to know what it is that is available for polishing-off and absolutely STOP.

45-60 mins is my normal time frame if I'm stuck on something like chicken. Softer and grainier foods maybe 20 minutes. This may not be a popular opinion but it's mine. If I'm going out for a meal or at someone's house, I'll sip Water with my food or I'll cover it with gravy, sauces or salsa to help it slide through. And, of course, I'll chew meats or Pasta to a cream Soup like consistency. But I still can get stuck. That's why I might follow a bite/swallow with some liquid like Water or wine, I like to use cold liquids because I can feel it pass though the stoma into my lower stomach. Then I know food isn't backing up into my esophagus.

Most of us don't eat out all that much so why ruin the moment or evening with a big stuck episode or spending 30 minutes in the bathroom spitting up slime and food chunks?

tmf