Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice please band to sleeve

I had the lap band for 2.5 years,which wasn't the best, had complications, only lost 40 lbs. it had slipped 2014, and I was really sick and in pain so I decided to have it removed, i had gained 30 lbs back, now I'm thinking about doing the sleeve. Is there anyone that did band to sleeve? Are there many complications, like the band?

I was banded in 2008. Didn't lose much and then gained it all back anyway. Was sleeved in January. Love it. So glad I did it. Completely worth it for me. This feels like what I'd hoped the band would feel like.

I was revised band to sleeve in Oct 2014. Complications I've encountered personally: i have developed GERD, for the first 6 months i was lactose intolerant and could not eat any form of meat for the first 5 months. My gall bladder had to be removed 3 months after i was sleeved (this is quite normal due to losing a lot if weight in a short amount of time). My GERD is being controlled by taking one 20mg tablet of omeprazole a day. Thats about it! For me the revision has been 100% been worth it.

Banded in Dec 2010. Lost 76 pounds - gained back 20. Lots of trouble last 1 1/2 years with sinus & band blockages. So April 6 - had band to sleeve revision - same operation. So far - so good. Still on liquids but am very pleased with surgery - lost 20 lbs so far. Had surgery in moring & came home that afternoon. Took 1 week off work for recovery & then took it very easy 1st week back to work. This week - feeling much more "like myself" energy coming back, etc. Challenge to get all Protein in (no different than band) & challenge to get all liquids in. It was a GREAT decision for me. Good luck on making your decision.

Wow - our stories are so similar! I was banded for the second time in dec 2010 after a removal for slippage. Lost about 70 pounds, had an unfill due to nausea that just got worse and the 'zone' was never to be found again. The only thing I found was about 40 pounds of the weight I lost. Mead the band out on Oct 29, 2014. Gained about 30 more pounds and was approved for the sleeve. Had it done on April 10 and have lost about 20'pounds so far. I'm getting used to this new way of living - feels very different from the post band surgery from what I can remember. Had my first over eating episode with nausea yesterday. Learned my lesson! Have had slight mourning for old habits - Friday night pizza and drinks on the deck .... But then i step on the scale and realize how good I feel, dinner hour passes and the food is forgotten, the excitement about losing continues!!! No regrets, just hopeful feelings - something I haven't had in a while! Good luck with your journey. Rely on your family and friends, do your own research, and be honest with yourself about whether you are willing to make the serious changes necessary to be successful. The surgery is just a small part, you have to be ready to take control!

Sleeve, sleeve, sleeve!!! The band, is implanted in you, which has parts that can erode, come apart, deteriorate!!! I ended having 5 surgeries before I was revised to a sleeve. It's just more normal. Good luck to you in whatever you choose!!!

@@socialbutterfli mine said he'd need to check the scar tissue, but it turned out not to be a problem.

@@VSGmary what are the symptoms that led you to have your gallbladder removed? Was it stones or did something else alert you to a problem?

I had the same thing happen to me. I got the band May, 2011. It slipped at the end of 2012. Had surgery to release it. Six weeks later had another surgery to put it back together. Band slipped again fall 2014 and it was removed December, 2014. Since then I've gained 25-30 pounds. When the band was removed, I would not consider another surgery. I thought I could do it on my own. It took me a while, lots of thinking and research. I also talked to two acquaintances who have been sleeved. I wanted to hear from them that they weren't experiencing the problems that bypass can cause. I'm a nurse and took care of many bypass patients and saw the problems they had after bypass...malabsorption and dumping syndrome being the most common. Finally decided I want to pursue the sleeve and my surgeon is in agreement. Now to determine if the insurance will cover it. I hate the waiting. I would assume since they approved me for the band and I did lose a significant amount of weight that I should be ok to get the sleeve.

I had the ban in 2012 . It worked great. Lost 80 lbs...in the fall of 14 it stopped working...my liver had moved around it and they couldn't get any fills in....gained 30 lbs and on April 6 had it removed and got sleeved! So far so good...almost back to the weight I was when band stopped working .....

I had the lap band for 2.5 years,which wasn't the best, had complications, only lost 40 lbs. it had slipped 2014, and I was really sick and in pain so I decided to have it removed, i had gained 30 lbs back, now I'm thinking about doing the sleeve. Is there anyone that did band to sleeve? Are there many complications, like the band?

. I've been Banded twice & revising to the Sleeve in a few weeks.

@@Swampdoggie it was gall stones, they were actually stuck on the wall of my gall bladder which infected it, therefore only option was to have it removed.